Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: Developer Preview 3 dials down animated tabs

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The third developer preview release of Mac OS X Lion reverts an experimental change in how tabbed panes are drawn and animated, dropping a iOS-like slider animation to present the active tab as simply a depressed button.

Apple is retaining Lion's toned down new version of its Aqua design language, which strips much of the bright blue highlighting and bubbly interface controls such as buttons and window navigation arrows, the omission of which tend to make Mac OS X look more cohesively related to iOS.

However, Lion's new sliding pane tabs, which originally appeared to make the control function like a physically raised button that slid into place on a click (as depicted below) have been revised in Lion DP3 to work, but not look, more like the existing controls in Snow Leopard.

Rather than adopting a bright blue highlight, the selected tab section is now drawn as if it were depressed inward, with a dark background and high contrast, white lettering. The Security & Privacy pane below shows the difference between the current Aqua look, the original Lion appearance, and the revised new design in Lion DP3.

The overall look of the new tab controls when they appear in nestled panes is portrayed below, comparing the Speech pane in Snow Leopard with the revised appearance of Lion DP3. The graphics also depict the loss of colored highlighting throughout the interface, and flatter, round radio button controls as opposed to the "candy drop" bubbles introduced by Aqua.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    Why the loss of color? It looks dour, monochromatic without Aqua highlights...
  • Reply 2 of 112
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Thank god for that. Previous iteratiom looked like you had three tabs active, and one not.

But yes, it is dull.
  • Reply 3 of 112
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    It's not officially "Preview 3", is it? It's just an update to Preview 2.
  • Reply 4 of 112
    I like it. Very simple and elegant. Typical Apple always improving the details.
  • Reply 5 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I for one will miss the slider effect. It was simple and elegant. I do wish they would at least allow an option to get rid of that faux leather look in iCal and have a less gimmicky Address Book design.
  • Reply 6 of 112
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Thank goodness Apple finally came to their senses on this previously-horrible UI decision. There's hope for Apple yet!
  • Reply 7 of 112
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    This slider-to-button change is very welcome. It's awesome that developer previews and beta testing are doing their jobs.

I can't recall (iCal?) where I've used that slider interface, but it's very confusing to tell what the selection is.
  • Reply 8 of 112
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    I like that they are tweaking the interface. The Aqua widgets we have in Snow Leopard are feeling out of place as other aspects of the over UI have evolved over time. I like the flatter look of buttons and appreciate that some colour is still retained.

The slider effect for the tabs looked cool, but I think that was it.... Great for switches (on / off), but not great for a multi-tab UI switcher. But the latest gray look still doesn't look quite finished... let's see some colour added back.
  • Reply 9 of 112
    azharazhar Posts: 34member
    What's the use of having a high-def monitor if the sliders and buttons are monochromatic. I hate the new look! What's the obsession with removing colors?? It looks so dull
  • Reply 10 of 112
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Azhar View Post

What's the use of having a high-def monitor if the sliders and buttons are monochromatic. I hate the new look! What's the obsession with removing colors?? It looks so dull

Silly rabbit, candy colors are for kids.
  • Reply 11 of 112
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Thank god for that. Previous iteratiom looked like you had three tabs active, and one not.

But yes, it is dull.

It's a slider for Christ sake. How hard can it be.
  • Reply 12 of 112
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    I like the animated tabs, but this is a classic example of where a touch of color would help clue the user which tab is selected ? especially if there's only 2 tabs. If it's a matter of shades of grey then it's completely arbitrary which one represents selected and which one unselected.

Color. Please.
  • Reply 13 of 112
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Silly rabbit, candy colors are for kids.

Sorry friend but this is absurd. Maybe your brain isn't wired to interpret rich information sources, but mine is. Color is an extremely powerful and deep way to provide cues. Flattening out the information layers is desirable only to people with OCD or to people who are shallow enough to think "That's the way we used to do it. This is different. Therefore this is better." is a rational design philosophy.

Also: snark is for amateurs. There's a difference between "color" and "candy colors". (And frankly, just because you mock "candy colors" doesn't make bright colors bad, either. It was used with great skill and beauty in the early days of OS X, and if you think that was an OS for kids, I'd invite you to grow up. Beauty might be enjoyed by children, but it's only fully appreciated by adults. Understand that point, and maybe you'll have taken a small step toward becoming an adult yourself)
  • Reply 14 of 112
    Well, there will hopefully (read: probably) be an unofficial patch to change it back to the animated slider. I quite liked it to be honest.
  • Reply 15 of 112
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    Quote:

I do wish they would at least allow an option to get rid of that faux leather look in iCal and have a less gimmicky Address Book design.

I agree completely. On one hand Apple is going to great lengths to give the OS a more sophisticated look (e.g. removing "candy" elements), and on the other hand they are shoehorning gimmicky faux leather and simulated book-covers into core applications. I'm not sure I understand how to synthesize those two approaches in a single OS update.
  • Reply 16 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

I like the animated tabs, but this is a classic example of where a touch of color would help clue the user which tab is selected ? especially if there's only 2 tabs. If it's a matter of shades of grey then it's completely arbitrary which one represents selected and which one unselected.

Color. Please.

100% agree.

When there are only two tabs it's terrible. Sure once you've used it for a while you'll remember, but if someone new to OS X looks at that and it's ambiguous, then it's probably not the best UI decision.
  • Reply 17 of 112
    And when will they replace the three tiny buttons in the ULC of a window with something easier to click?
  • Reply 18 of 112
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Why the loss of color? It looks dour, monochromatic without Aqua highlights...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Azhar View Post

Quote:

I like the animated tabs, but this is a classic example of where a touch of color would help clue the user which tab is selected — especially if there's only 2 tabs. If it's a matter of shades of grey then it's completely arbitrary which one represents selected and which one unselected.

Color. Please.

It seems that most of us here get it, but apple designers don't these days, such loss of colour makes for a very dour os, and for a downward spiral in usability, I hope they reverse it along with that crappy slider thing they already reversed.

Enough with the colour-less sidebars and toolbar icons guys, get it that nobody likes it and start focusing on the real issues with the os, we don't really care for interface jackass tweaks.

STOP TAKING AWAY AQUA ELEMENTS, WE 'VE GROWN TO REALLY LIKE THEM. We don't want os x to be ios, we don't want a lifeless os, there's enough grey already on the macs, and on the os to not add more colourless subdued elements.

Lion has a chance to be really great if you don't go pandering after the ios croud. We couldn't care less about minor yet backward interface a la ios tweaks....

So focus on real os improvements.

How about some resolution independence?

How about a functioning filevault?

How about proper 2011 cloud integration as opposed to the buggy as hell idisk?

And how about fixing hfs+, a couple o years ago we were still hoping for zfs, now that's off the table at least improve somehow the filesystem, is that what the world's most advanced os should have? I don't think so...

...and no, full screen apps is not really great, it's a tad better than the windoze f11 key, that's all. welcome, but nothing to write home about.

Stop messing with aqua elements we know and love, or at least put the new tweaks in as options, and start with the real annoyances of the os...
  • Reply 19 of 112
    The slider nature in general just doesn't make sense, looks awkward since we are so used to seeing buttons like that on the iphone. OSX is not a touch system, it is a simple click button. Why make it look like touch controls, and why give it a little animation it doesn't need?
  • Reply 20 of 112
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:

Sorry friend but this is absurd. Maybe your brain isn't wired to interpret rich information sources, but mine is. Color is an extremely powerful and deep way to provide cues. Flattening out the information layers is desirable only to people with OCD or to people who are shallow enough to think "That's the way we used to do it. This is different. Therefore this is better." is a rational design philosophy.

Also: snark is for amateurs. There's a difference between "color" and "candy colors". (And frankly, just because you mock "candy colors" doesn't make bright colors bad, either. It was used with great skill and beauty in the early days of OS X, and if you think that was an OS for kids, I'd invite you to grow up. Beauty might be enjoyed by children, but it's only fully appreciated by adults. Understand that point, and maybe you'll have taken a small step toward becoming an adult yourself)

amen, couldn't have said it better, and I 've tried to.