Fears of iPad cannibalization drive PC estimates downward

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Either you?re not understanding English as well as you think you do or you?re purposely creating a fallacious argument.

I'll pick doors number one and two... but it's good to see him posting... right??!!
  • Reply 22 of 33
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Easy... file systems and their structures for many joe-consumers was just too much to deal with, and a concept they could still not grasp even when compared to a desk and file cabinet. By removing the filesystem schema from visibility to the user, Apple wanted to take a simpler approach so users don't necessarily have to deal with where their file was located, the OS simply took care of it for them.

It sounds perhaps like it's dumbing down to the user, and perhaps in some ways it is. Considering that most PC users fall into this category methink, it's no wonder why the iPad is such a hit with many folks that like having the PC-paradigm component taken out of the picture.

I'm sure this infuriates many tech-heads like DaHarder that feels they should have absolute control of every aspect of their system, even if it means removing the simplicity and introducing back into the field the very same problems that plagues the PC industry.

The "other" players literally had decades to get their act together and come up with something way before Apple got into the picture. They failed miserably, and are certainly scratching their heads wondering what happened.

The way the iPad simplified the many mundane tasks is refreshing for a change and the purists will kick and scream in trying to fight it. I think it was long overdue. Tech-heads, geeks, and nerds will always think that they know what's best for everyone else and no matter how many times the market proves them wrong (as Apple certainly has) they will be in denial and long for the days they can continue to design job-security into their jobs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

The filesystem is a terrible way to organize data. It was brilliant at the time it was created, considering the hardware, software, and educational constraints people faced at the time, but it is well beyond its prime now.

Even MS realizes this, which is why they made the huge push towards WinFS (which was more of a relational database, than a FS). Unfortunately, they could not achieve this lofty goal. Apple has tried it marginally on the Mac, through the APIs they have provided for media libraries, which 3rd parties can tap into, and handled the organization of the data through multiple apps (iphoto for photos, and itunes for music). Unfortunately, these are all handled in separate apps, and there is no single app to browse all the data in a browser form.

With iOS they have a fresh start. They can build exactly such a "file system" which would be a huge improvement over our folder based hierarchal filesystem.

Those are excellent observations. If all relevant apps are able to cross-access files then that certainly removes the need for regular access to the file system, but I'm not sure that I see the downside to including simple functionality for direct access to the file structure (HFS or otherwise) if needed, even though it might be redundant for many/most users. Wouldn't that just keep everyone happy?
  • Reply 23 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

A number of folks have mentioned it within these forums in the past, and I'll say it again:

Apple needs a consumer-friendly Home Media Server.

Word! A device that allows at least 3 3.5" HDDs for HW RAIDed storage for a family’s media. Windows makes a decent Home Server but it lacks the polish and ease of use Apple can deliver.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hmmm... I didn't see anything in that definition that said "replacement"... as in the cell phone... which could be considered a post land line device... it came after the land line... hasn't replaced it completely but most likely will in the future.

Nice example. I was drawing a blank last night.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'll pick doors number one and two... but it's good to see him posting... right??!!

Maybe in the same way Jon Stewart would be happy to see Glenn Beck return to FOX.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    cilgcilg Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krill View Post

Please stop misusing the word "cannibalization", it's getting annoying. Cannibalization is when a product specifically eats into the sales of other products made by the same company.

Yes, I was going to make the same point. iPad may nibble, dine, munch, eat, or devour its competitors, but it does not cannibalize them.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A bunch of people

Hurr Durr iPad will never replace PCs

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CILG View Post

Yes, I was going to make the same point. iPad may nibble, dine, munch, eat, or devour its competitors, but it does not cannibalize them.

Apple also makes notebooks, iPad could easily be cannibalizing the Macbook market.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Interesting report, and though the popularity of the iPad is certainly admirable, until iOS actually incorporates a user accessible file system, and absolutely zero dependance upon other computers in order to activate/sync/backup, etc it'll never truly be able to serve completely as a 'Post-PC' device.

Maybe someday... but it's just not quite ready yet - IMO.

I think they will eliminate PC dependence soon, maybe even iOS 5. The filesystem limitation is a bit of an issue, they at least need a way for me to share files better between APPs. I can not sign a contract in Notetaker and then attach it as a reply to an email. Same is true for Pages, Numbers, etc. I can send a new email, I can even carefully duplicate the subject with a Re and kind of fake it. I should be able to click reply in mail and easily find the file I want and send it as an attachment.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krill View Post

Please stop misusing the word "cannibalization", it's getting annoying. Cannibalization is when a product specifically eats into the sales of other products made by the same company.

+1

Since there is a 5 character minimum to post in this comment forum, I will add, "Hear, hear!"
  • Reply 28 of 33
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Would be funny to see ipads jump off your hands and start eating PC's

I wonder what kind of poo ipads would do afterwards.

... I have too much imagination
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by a "user accessible" file system though. :???

something like "iphone explorer" imo
  • Reply 30 of 33
    cilgcilg Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Urinal Mint View Post

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Apple also makes notebooks, iPad could easily be cannibalizing the Macbook market.

As you may recall, this article discussed the affect of Apple's sales on those of Acer, HP, Dell, MS, etc. When there is an article discussing the affect of some Apple products on the sales of other Apple products, then that will be the time to start talking about cannibalization.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:

Interesting report, and though the popularity of the iPad is certainly admirable, until iOS actually incorporates a user accessible file system, and absolutely zero dependance upon other computers in order to activate/sync/backup, etc it'll never truly be able to serve completely as a 'Post-PC' device.

Maybe someday... but it's just not quite ready yet - IMO.

I like you. Too many people here thinks everything Apple do is perfect.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The dramatic drop in netbook sales may indicate that the iPad has substantially eaten into the profits of low-end laptops.

Check out my prediction from last year: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=107028

Cannibalization, by the way, means one company's product eating into another product of that same company (eg, iPad 2 eating into Macbook Air sales).
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:

File system??? In a Post PC device???

Real computers have punch card readers.