I want OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi I would really love to run Mac os ten with out the apple hardware. I can't bring my self to buy a completed PC from any vendor. I just don't like not having any control over computing Hardware. I prefer to Build my own. I like to be able to pick out the parts I want by the vendors that I know, love, trust. I am Ok with Windows seven but I really want Mac OS X is there anything I can do to get the best of both worlds.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Have you seen the inside of a Mac Pro?

Very few homebuilts have that level of clean design and panache.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Hi I would really love to run Mac os ten with out the apple hardware.

Enjoy breaking the law, then. We're not about that.

Quote:

I can't bring my self to buy a completed PC from any vendor.

So buy a completed Mac from Apple.

Quote:

...is there anything I can do to get the best of both worlds.

Buy a Mac, install Windows. Done.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung

Hi I would really love to run Mac os ten with out the apple hardware.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Enjoy breaking the law, then. We're not about that.

Apple is not the law. Although Steve would dearly like us to think so. And you have apparently already fallen for it.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

Apple is not the law. Although Steve would dearly like us to think so. And you have apparently already fallen for it.

Apple owns the copyright on MacOS X. As part of the EULA (the license that allows you to use MacOS X) they require that you only use it on Apple-branded hardware. Without agreeing to (and complying with) that EULA you have no right to use MacOS X.

So yes, the law (copyright) says that you can't do this.

Note that I am not a lawyer, but all evidence I have seen leads me to believe that this is the case, at least in the US.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Hi I would really love to run Mac os ten with out the apple hardware. I can't bring my self to buy a completed PC from any vendor. I just don't like not having any control over computing Hardware. I prefer to Build my own. I like to be able to pick out the parts I want by the vendors that I know, love, trust. I am Ok with Windows seven but I really want Mac OS X is there anything I can do to get the best of both worlds.

Google Hackintosh.

It can be done. I wouldn't do it and you'll run afoul of Apple's EULA. Also it isn't particularly easy and you're limited somewhat in the components that you can use. Did I mention that SW updates might cause problems and some things just don't work quite right?

Anyway, knock yourself out.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Quite a stupid retort that didn't even have anything to do with what you replied to.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thenewperson View Post

Quite a stupid retort that didn't even have anything to do with what you replied to.

Apparently you missed what I replied to... So who is stupid now...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Apparently you missed what I replied to... So who is stupid now...

You, perhaps, for ignoring Karl Kuehn's post. I had no reason to reply until now because he already made the point.