'Reading List' feature discovered in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Safari

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A hidden "Reading List" feature has been uncovered in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion that would allow users to store links to read later.

The feature, which would add a more robust bookmarking functionality, was discovered by MacRumors. According to the report, the feature is inactive and "hidden" within the latest Mac OS X 10.7 Lion builds.

"Reading List lets you collect webpages and links for you to read later. To add the current page to your Reading List, click Add Page. You can also Shift-click a link to quickly add it to the list. To hide and show Reading List, click the Reading List icon (eyeglasses) in the bookmarks bar," Apple reportedly wrote regarding the feature.

According to the report, Reading List appears to be partly based on HTML and javascript, though the company has yet to mention the feature in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion documentation.

Further details regarding Apple's plans to implement the feature remained unclear, though the report did suggest that Apple may allow syncing between devices. If so, Reading List would compete with popular iOS apps such as Instapaper and ReadItLater.

Earlier this month, details emerged that the next version of Safari on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion will include a do-not-track tool that would allow users to request not to be tracked by websites.

Mac OS X 10.7 is scheduled for a summer release. An updated build of Mac OS X 10.7 Developer Preview 2 was released earlier on Friday. Apple will ""unveil the future of iOS and Mac OS" in June at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

For more information on upcoming changes in Mac OS X Lion, see AppleInsider's in-depth series: Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. Recent features include:

Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: Developer Preview 3 dials down animated tabs

Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: iTunes screen saver controls music playback

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to add Office file viewing, new text and signature annotation

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: new multitouch gestures, Dock integration for Exposé, Launchpad, Mission Control

Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: New dictionaries, multiple word views, multitouch lookups

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Is the list sent back to Apple?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Is the list sent back to Apple?

The answer would be in the EULA. You did read it, right?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The answer would be in the EULA. You did read it, right?

Nope it would be www.apple.com/privacy.

This is a list of all privacy related rules they have.

In comparison: Googles privacy site is all over the place. If I would get an Android phone there is no easy way to know what you are signing up for...

On topic. Could be nice. Never used Instapaper and Readitlater didn't really impress me. But to each his own...
  • Reply 4 of 15
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpcg View Post

on topic. Could be nice. Never used Instapaper and Readitlater didn't really impress me. But to each his own...

They work better when an iPad is used in conjunction with a desktop/notebook.

It's easier to research or filter through a bunch of information using a desktop, but the iPad is better for long reading sessions.

So the idea is that you filter through information using a desktop and then tag interesting articles that are sync'd and ready to read later on via the iPad.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Good because Instapaper is getting worse and worse and worse.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    So it's like View Later on RockMelt, huh? That's cool, I make a lot of use of that in RockMelt so Safari getting it is good with me.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It is? What problems are you having?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    So I'd be able to read them offline? Otherwise how is this different than making a bookmarked folder called "Read Later" like I already do . . .
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Brilliant! I would love to have that feature as part of the OS.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:

Nope it would be www.apple.com/privacy.

This is a list of all privacy related rules they have.

In comparison: Googles privacy site is all over the place. If I would get an Android phone there is no easy way to know what you are signing up for...

On topic. Could be nice. Never used Instapaper and Readitlater didn't really impress me. But to each his own...

I use read it later all the time. I can browse articles from my computer, but then send them to my phone so I can read them when I'm on the go/not sitting at my computer. I suspect the experience will be even better on a tablet.

I've been trying Tweetbot out on my ipod touch, and one of the best features of it (to me) is the ability to sent articles directly to read it later. If you have Tweetbot, I would check that out (It also works with instapaper and some other services)

And I'm not going to start a argument about it, but since you asked for it here you go: http://www.android.com/privacy.html
  • Reply 11 of 15
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

So the idea is that you filter through information using a desktop and then tag interesting articles that are sync'd and ready to read later on via the iPad.

I like the idea. This should even be on Safari on iPad. Add page and read it later on train, plane & automobile.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Drama queen much? Any SPECIFIC examples?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I like the idea. This should even be on Safari on iPad. Add page and read it later on train, plane & automobile.

it's already there via a bookmarklet or extension (for os x).

(and it's even better integrated in the excellent icab on ipad, to plug a good product)

I too use read it later all the time, esp. like the gazette.

But I 'd like local storage too, in EPUB!

that would be a feature, not this. This is not really a feature.

Come on, lose the backward .webarchive and save everything in reader (ipad, etc.) friendly epub.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Not surprising Google has a varying privacy statement.

After all, invading your privacy with the objective of advertising revenue is their main game.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    This is *almost* something I would use. Whenever I find something that I definitely want to read, but don't have time right now, I drag the URL to make a shortcut on the desktop. So in theory I could replace this action with the Reading List. However, my desktop also has all my other TODO things on it, so my existing system is still better.