Apple preparing to introduce Sandy Bridge iMacs early next week - sources

Comments

• Reply 41 of 122
    @Rot'nApple;

"An unborn child's property rights are protected by law. His right to life is not."

Wow, totally off topic, but I couldn't let this BS slide. What about "Her right to life"? How blatantly sexist and self righteous is your statement? VERY!

It seems that most people who try to deny a woman the rights to determine what she does with her body are male. As soon as you are able to conceive and nurture life within your body for nine or so months, then, and only then, should you be able to give your opinion of what women should be able to do with their bodies. To try to force your sexist views on one half of the human race when you are unable to be impregnated is unconscionable.

Dude, you should remove your sexist views from your comments and stick to technology.

Speaking of which, I can't wait to see what the new iMacs will offer and at what price points!
  • Reply 42 of 122
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Maybe iPad + iMac will become a popular setup. Personally I wouldn't want to give up any of my Apple form factors.

Depending on the processing power of the different iMac's, I'm gearing towards an iMac + Air.
  • Reply 43 of 122
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

No it's not.

You’re arguing with a joke?
  • Reply 44 of 122
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Your arguing with a joke?

I guess I didn't see the lead up sarcasm before the delivery line to catch it was intentionally over the top. My bad.
  • Reply 45 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You can configure the Magic TrackPad:

-- 2 finger tap == show dropdown (like right-click or control-click)

-- 1 finger tap == select item (like left-click)

You don't need the click at all -- but it works, if you forget and revert to the old way.

I wasn't sure how I'd like the magic pad and kept my mouse nearby for about 2 weeks; after which time it had been relegated to the junk drawer and hasn't been used since. That was 6 months ago and I can say that I love it and haven't missed the mouse at all. I just really wish I'd known about the double tap sooner than today. Thanks for making it even better Dick.
  • Reply 46 of 122
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126

Great, Bert! The biggest thing that took time to get used to was that all you have to do is "touch/tap" the magic pad to get it to do a drop down menu as opposed to a "click." You can do the click but now I love the touch aspect as opposed to clicking on a mouse all the time.

I do also have a magic mouse too, but find myself preferring the trackpad. Anyway, good luck!

Quote:

-- 2 finger tap == show dropdown (like right-click or control-click)

-- 1 finger tap == select item (like left-click)

You don't need the click at all -- but it works, if you forget and revert to the old way.

Wanting a midsize desktop, I grudgingly bought an iMac. Found I Love it.

It came with a Magic Mouse that I liked even better than my Logitech 8 button mice. Then I bought a Magic Track Pad so I wouldn't have to move a mouse around; therefore, saving my wrist. I LOVE being able to move the cursor around the 27" monitor with ONE finger effortlessly. Getting used to the rapid double tap took some effort, but now I use it instead of the MTP click.

I keep the MM on my desk next to the MTP, but I hardly ever use it. I'll put it out to pasture very soon. I can't imagine a better cursor mover and controller than the MTP. It just takes getting used to and then it's an Uber tool. My wrist feels better and I don't have to grope for buttons, wheels, and sliders.

Only 'thought control' could be better for me.
  • Reply 47 of 122
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member
    "As consumers increasingly grow accustom" should be "accustomed".

I'm curious as to how much smaller the "footprint" needs to be. My iMac has a stand that takes up a tiny patch of desk with a reasonably small bezel. If the bezel were much smaller, off-screen distractions could be a problem (I have a window behind the Mac). The stand doesn't get in the way of anything.
  • Reply 48 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You?re arguing with a joke?

My vote for the "best post of the week!"

And by "best," I mean funniest!
  • Reply 49 of 122
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Apple should include matte displays, at least as an option. Otherwise (all glossy displays), no purchase!

I would love to see a matte display myself - but if not it isn't a deal killer for me. Was ready to pull the trigger on a BTO 27" 2.93 gHz i7 with 1TB HD and 512 SSD with wired keyboard (I want my damn keypad - and it appears they feel the same at Apple these days about a wireless w/keypad as they do BluRay LOL).

I will gladly throw don't my card on the 3rd for a BTO with specs like that - and of course a Thunderbutt port and one of them new Sunny Beachy processors. Doubt it with Thunderbutt a cumin but wouldn't mind a USB 3.0. Think it will still have Fried Wire 800? Be nice since there is already stuff out there that works with it today.
  • Reply 50 of 122
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

I wonder how easy will it be to replace the hard drive or other major components on these new iMacs? I've lost two drives on Mac desktops, so I've stuck with my white iMac in part because replacing the hard drive on it, while not easy, is at least doable. For the aluminum family of iMacs, I hear it's a terror.

Come on Apple. How hard can it be to make an iMac where removing four screens opens up the entire back, with every major component easily accessible? If you did that, you've save money on your own warranty repairs.

You mean like this:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/i...lacement/873/1

But I guess the idea of putting on gloves, using suction cups, taking apart bare LCD panels and removing 50 screws makes some guys feel more manly. Does it help them get more girls?

Also, it's not just about doing your own repairs. By making computers more serviceable, repair shops could get also get their customers machines repaired more quickly. I wonder if Apple's hardware designers work behind locked doors and walk through separate underground tunnels to avoid being seen by the repair depot people. Do the designers even try to take apart Macs themselves just to see what it will be like for the technicians? Replacing a stick of memory does not count.
  • Reply 51 of 122
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar Saves View Post

@Rot'nApple;

"An unborn child's property rights are protected by law. His right to life is not."

What about her right to life?

Wow, totally off topic, but I couldn't let this BS slide. What about "Her right to life"? How blatantly sexist and self righteous is your statement? VERY!

It seems that most people who try to deny a woman the rights to determine what she does with her body are male. As soon as you are able to conceive and nurture life within your body for nine or so months, then, and only then, should you be able to give your opinion of what women should be able to do with their bodies. To try to force your sexist views on one half of the human race when you are unable to be impregnated is unconscionable.

Dude, you should remove your sexist views from your comments and stick to technology.

Speaking of which, I can't wait to see what the new iMacs will offer and at what price points!

Nice of you to be able to "voice" your opinion.

"What about her right to life?" Seems to me she is already living. Oh, you mean the right not to be "bothered" by the consequences of her and her mates actions... Pretty selfish and petty of both of them, but that topic can go off in an entirely different direction and I just want to reply to the heart of your posts reasoning.

So since I can't give birth you say I should be silent. I'm not in the military. You?... If I'm not in the military, I guess I can't speak, pro or con, about war. I'm not a politician, so I guess I can't speak on the policies our government implements. I'm not a teacher so I guess my opinion on what children are taught is mute. I'm not even a computer maker or software writer so by your reasoning I guess commenting on the design of Apple's next iMac or the upcoming Lion OS should be off limits, probably to the majority of us here. Hey AI, time to close shop. A lot of your viewers can no longer post a comment because we are not "able to conceive and nurture" an opinion and to do so would be "unconscionable". Oh, by the way, are you a "Green Energy Engineer and Expert"? If not, maybe you need to change your handle "Solar Saves" until you are, because according to you, you can't have an opinion on whether or not solar saves..

If it is all the same to you, I'll speak for those who yet have that capability!

/

/

/
  • Reply 52 of 122
    roockaroocka Posts: 25member
    I don't see why we wouldn't see an iMac Touch with a thermal liquidmetal internal component. Everything is going touch so why wouldn't the iMac?

Also, the following link shows that Apple's head of consumer products has patented the spray technology to incorporate Liquidmetal as a thermal benefit.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...etal.html#more
  • Reply 53 of 122
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I've been using a free program called Better Touch Tool for the past few weeks for the Magic Trackpad and it gives even more options than what Apple includes. It's fully customizable and you can add all sorts of swipes and gestures for triggering different events.

The Magic Trackpad is great. My mice are collecting dust in a drawer.
  • Reply 54 of 122
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

And some people got it to run on Core Duo's despite that requirement.

Wonderful. Just for kicks I tried it but it refuses saying Mac OS X 10.7 can't be installed on this Mac.

I really don't consider hacking the OS installer to be a viable means of upgrading, so I will stick with my original plan to buy a new iMac instead.
  • Reply 55 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Nice of you to be able to "voice" your opinion.

"What about her right to life?" Seems to me she is already living. Oh, you mean the right not to be "bothered" by the consequences of her and her mates actions... Pretty selfish and petty of both of them, but that topic can go off in an entirely different direction and I just want to reply to the heart of your posts reasoning.

So since I can't give birth you say I should be silent. I'm not in the military. You?... If I'm not in the military, I guess I can't speak, pro or con, about war. I'm not a politician, so I guess I can't speak on the policies our government implements. I'm not a teacher so I guess my opinion on what children are taught is mute. I'm not even a computer maker or software writer so by your reasoning I guess commenting on the design of Apple's next iMac or the upcoming Lion OS should be off limits, probably to the majority of us here. Hey AI, time to close shop. A lot of your viewers can no longer post a comment because we are not "able to conceive and nurture" an opinion and to do so would be "unconscionable". Oh, by the way, are you a "Green Energy Engineer and Expert"? If not, maybe you need to change your handle "Solar Saves" until you are, because according to you, you can't have an opinion on whether or not solar saves..

If it is all the same to you, I'll speak for those who yet have that capability!

/

/

/

You still don't get it dude,

"his right to life" so all unborn children that have a right to life are only male? You are so sexist that you can't even use a gender neutral word to try to make a point that has nothing to do with this website.

And you think that people in a happy relationship and can't be bothered would do that? Have you ever been raped, date raped, had a man take advantage of you when you were drunk or after drugging you or beating you, given in to your boyfriend to have unprotected sex who then takes off when he finds out he impregnated you, had some relative or family friend molest you? Only a few of the reasons that you didn't mention...

"Hey AI, time to close shop. A lot of your viewers can no longer post a comment because we are not "able to conceive and nurture" an opinion and to do so would be "unconscionable"."

What the heck is this foolish statement about? You put a controversial signature on your post and I just called you on your misplaced opinion, pointing out that most people who devalue women and their right to choose, are self-righteous, sexist men.

Actually I've been researching and training in solar technologies for several years. I built my own solar panels that save me over 400 gallons of fuel oil every year. Solar Saved me over $1600 this winter alone! I also teach classes to show other people how to save money with solar technologies. If you want, I'll be happy to send you some plans. If you buy the materials, I'll even help you build and install them.

So my handle and my opinion are well founded, as being Rot'n probably is for you.
  • Reply 56 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azentropy View Post

Wow, Sorry to see you fell for the marketing ploy. Those of us who know better would like the option.

Exactly. As much as I love the look of the glossy displays?and as much as I love showing video to clients on our glossy screens?I find the glossy to be hopeless for color critical print output.

Very simply, with Apple's glossy screens, contrast gets bumbed up tremendously while nuances hide themselves away. Many times I've seen Photoshop work that originated on a glossy demonstrate GLARING errors when viewed on a well-calibrated LCD, but the real proof is in the proofs ... from the printer.

As a consequence, my 17" Macbook Pro has a matte screen as do the monitors we use with our Mac Pros. We save the glossy screens for a certain "wow" factor. They're beautiful, but (for print-oriented workflow, at least) flawed.
  • Reply 57 of 122
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sybaritic View Post

Exactly. As much as I love the look of the glossy displays?and as much as I love showing video to clients on our glossy screens?I find the glossy to be hopeless for color critical print output.

Very simply, with Apple's glossy screens, contrast gets bumbed up tremendously while nuances hide themselves away. Many times I've seen Photoshop work that originated on a glossy demonstrate GLARING errors when viewed on a well-calibrated LCD, but the real proof is in the proofs ... from the printer.

As a consequence, my 17" Macbook Pro has a matte screen as do the monitors we use with our Mac Pros. We save the glossy screens for a certain "wow" factor. They're beautiful, but (for print-oriented workflow, at least) flawed.

So is your issue a glossy display or an uncalibrated LCD? Sounds like you?re creating a false reasoning for any errors in Photoshop.
  • Reply 58 of 122
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I hated glossy screens when they first came out, but now I am used to them. The only time I get the sh*ts with my glossy screen now is when I'm watching a movie and a dark (light-wise) scene comes on and I see my own face staring back at me and it takes me out of the movie. Or I have to move my face closer to the screen to make out what's going on. But in general use you can adapt to these screens by not having a black desktop picture and other adjustments.

I suppose if you job requires you to work on a black document you're a bit stuffed, but then you probably have a pro monitor anyway.
  • Reply 59 of 122
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobH View Post

Your words talk about 'the decline of the desktop' yet your graph shows number of desktop sales doubling over the 5 years your graph runs.

It's an odd statement. Mac desktops have grown in both unit and net sales year after year. Their growth has been accelerating, defying the rest of the industry.

The fact that portables have been growing much more rapidly doesn't mean the desktop line isn't relevant - desktops accounted for $6.2 billion in revenue FY 2010. It'll probably be more in FY 2011.

It's the rest of the manufacturers whose desktop sales have been declining.
  • Reply 60 of 122
    zephzeph Posts: 133member
    I wish Apple would not reserve top-spec for the large display models. I need the power, but prefer the smaller display.

Ah well, not gonna happen. I'll just wait for the next Pro.