Killer Deals: new MacBook Airs for $879, new 64GB 3G iPads with case for $569

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Once again, MacMall has teamed up with eBay and AppleInsider to offer readers the lowest price around on Apple's new 11.6-inch MacBook Airs with shipping guaranteed for Mother's Day. Separately, the Apple reseller is also blowing out brand new, 1st-gen 64GB 3G iPad bundles for $300 below MSRP.

MacBook Airs

MacMall on Saturday extended a limited-time offer on Apple's new 11.6-inch MacBook Airs, which the Apple Authorized Reseller is selling through eBay for $879. Thats $120 below Apple's $999 suggested retail price and the lowest price available from all Apple resellers by $35. It's also currently the lowest entry price we've seen for any current Mac notebook (Mac Price Guide).

These are brand new, unopened MacBook Airs feature a 1.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR3 SDRAM, 64GB Flash Storage, NVIDIA GeForce 320M, 11.6" LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi 802.11n, Bluetooth 2.1, FaceTime camera, built-in battery, and precision aluminum unibody. There's a strict limit of one per customer while supplies last.

As an added bonus, MacMall on Saturday tacked on free 2-day shipping to the offer so that readers purchasing the notebook as a Mother's Day gift can rest assured that their order will arrive before next Sunday.

First-gen iPads

Meanwhile, MacMall has also taken stock of a large cache of brand new, unopened 64GB first-generation 3G iPads (the high-end model), which the reseller is blowing out at $569. Each order includes a free Apple iPad case, which originally retailed for $39, bringing the combined savings on the bundle to $299.

Again, that's the lowest price we've seen by far, besting Amazon's $701 offer by $132 and Apple's similar $659 offer on Refurbished units (not new units) by $90. These first-generation models are worthy alternatives for those unwilling to wait for iPad 2 shipments or who don't mind forgoing the new model's slightly-slimmer design for the $299 in savings.

Unlike the reseller's MacBook Air deal, however, the iPads are available only by telephone order and cannot be placed online.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    So tempting...but I've never bought last year's model! I just don't enjoy it no matter how much money I'm able to save!
  • Reply 2 of 14
    What a joke I must say. The first gen ipads will get left behind by developers real quick. The switch to a dual core chip with much better graphics makes this not such a good deal. There is always a time when the last gen is a good deal but this is not it.

My 2 cents, don't cheap out. Performance is worth way more than storage.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Just ordered one of the Macbook Air's couldn't pass it up! I know they will probably release a sandy bridge one soon, but this is good enough for what I want/need to do with it!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Glad I bought one for my wife last month when MacMall had their first blowout of these Macbook Air for $849.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    When you have been able to get an iPad 1 3G/wifi 64 gig from ATT for $529 pretty much since they rolled out iPad2.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...id=yy5DX9IGltD
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanadianThomas View Post

What a joke I must say. The first gen ipads will get left behind by developers real quick. The switch to a dual core chip with much better graphics makes this not such a good deal. There is always a time when the last gen is a good deal but this is not it.

Well, it does depend a lot on what the buyer will want to use it for. For me the iPad is a nice eReader, my calendar & to do list, a way to watch lectures & podcasts from iTunes U, and a few other things. I'm not a gamer... the only video game that ever caught my attention was pong when it came out. (Okay, everyone please stop snickering.)

Anyway, for right now the better graphics just isn't worth the premium... for me. Is the iPad2 better. Well obviously. Will support for the 1st gen get dropped before the 2nd gen. Sure. Oh well. I just would rather put that $300 towards something else... like rent, or a new bike, or 100 Starbucks mochas or any number of other things?

Plus, some of us are Scottish... we can't help ourselves. \
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiker275 View Post

Well, it does depend a lot on what the buyer will want to use it for. For me the iPad is a nice eReader, my calendar & to do list, a way to watch lectures & podcasts from iTunes U, and a few other things. I'm not a gamer... the only video game that ever caught my attention was pong when it came out. (Okay, everyone please stop snickering.)

Anyway, for right now the better graphics just isn't worth the premium... for me. Is the iPad2 better. Well obviously. Will support for the 1st gen get dropped before the 2nd gen. Sure. Oh well. I just would rather put that $300 towards something else... like rent, or a new bike, or 100 Starbucks mochas or any number of other things?

Plus, some of us are Scottish... we can't help ourselves. \

Sorry to react off topic but I tried Starbucks few times on different locations and the insistence of their staff on pouring some kind of sweetened syrup into the perfectly made Latte, consequently completely changing the taste of coffee into some king of sweetish taste of syrup, even though I specifically asked for "coffee only, no syrup", forced me to decide not to go there anymore. Maybe somebody from Starbucks reading this can enlighten me why do they put that syrup there even if some customers don't like it? After closing Borders branch here I got into a problem that the only good coffee place left in the area (one small private cafeteria) is about 40 minutes drive, everything else around is just Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts I really can't stand. ;-(
  • Reply 8 of 14
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

...Starbucks related anecdote...

While I'm not an employee of Starbucks, I've yet to experience one where they actually "insist" on adding syrup to your drink. I get regular lattes there regularly. They may be a little surprised that you don't want it, but they won't generally force it on you.

On topic, that really is a nice price for a first gen iPad with those specs.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 236member
    "new 64GB 3G iPads for $569"

Then you read on and discover it is a new first generation. A "new" "old" iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThisIsMike View Post

When you have been able to get an iPad 1 3G/wifi 64 gig from ATT for $529 pretty much since they rolled out iPad2.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...id=yy5DX9IGltD

They require 1 month activation. MacMall doesn't.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanadianThomas View Post

Utter silliness. The installed base of iPads is approaching 20 million at present, the overwhelming majority being 1st Gen models that will be around in significant numbers for the next three-plus years. Why on earth would developers walk away from a huge bread-and-butter customer segment?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    $879 for a MacBook Air? Hmmm. I was planning to buy a high end iPad, but for just a few dollars more, I could have an MBA. Tempting.....
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jeffwjeffw Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Utter silliness. The installed base of iPads is approaching 20 million at present, the overwhelming majority being 1st Gen models that will be around in significant numbers for the next three-plus years. Why on earth would developers walk away from a huge bread-and-butter customer segment?

I agree! And by the time most developers takes full advantage of the new processor, iPad 3 will be out.

I took advantage of the ATT deal and ordered one as a Mother's Day present (and Father's Day as well since my Dad will use it a lot as well for email and eBay shopping).
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

worthy alternatives to those who ... don't mind forgoing the new model's slightly-slimmer design for the $299 in savings.

Don't forget forgoing the extra processor core. And a huge amount of graphical horsepower. And half their memory. And the cameras. And Smart Cover ability. And ...

Ask anyone with an iPhone 3G if they're happy with iOS 4. Think the original iPad users are going to get the best of iOS 5? Hint: No.