Preliminary white iPhone 4 teardowns reveal modified lens, proximity sensor

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Early teardown images of Apple's white iPhone 4 appear to show a more recessed rear-facing camera lens and a slightly modified proximity sensor.

After a 10-month delay, Apple launched the white iPhone 4 around the world last week. As noted by Japanese Apple blog MacOtakara (via Google Translate), teardown photos of the white iPhone 4 suggest that Apple has changed both the camera lens and proximity sensor on the white version of its bestselling smartphone.

According to the report, which drew its information from various Twitter posts, the sensor remains the same, but the "magnitude of the incident light" between the black and white iPhone 4 models is a different size.

Photo comparisons of the two devices seem to indicate that the rear-facing camera lens on the white iPhone 4 has been set farther back than its black counterpart.

Comparison between cameras on white and black iPhone 4 models | Source: MacOtakara

Additionally, when compared to teardown photos of last year's iPhone 4 model, the internal proximity sensor on the white model appears to have been changed as well, though the exact nature of the change remains unclear.

White iPhone 4 proximity sensor | Source: MacOtakara

It should also be noted that, as evidenced by Apple's own promotional materials for the smartphone, the front face of the white iPhone 4 has been modified to include a more pronounced slit for the new proximity sensor.

It's possible the changes made to the lens were intended to prevent the light leakage issues that reportedly affected prototype versions of the smartphone.

Reports emerged last year that repeated delays to the white iPhone 4 were potentially caused by light leaks from the semi-translucent glass case. The proximity sensor had also been suggested as an issue that Apple faced in bringing the device to market.

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak confirmed that issue did occur with a white iPhone 4 that he had modified using supposed legitimate parts from Apple supplier Foxconn that he had purchased on the Internet. According to Wozniak, photos taken using the flash with his modded white iPhone 4 appeared as if they were "taken through cellophane."

Early comparisons of the white iPhone 4 have also revealed that the device is 0.2mm thicker than the black version.

In January, AppleInsider revealed that Apple had arrived at a workable paint mix for the white model of the iPhone 4 via a partnership with a Japanese company.

Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller explained last week during an interview that the white iPhone 4 had presented several design and manufacturing problems, including the need for more protection from the sun's ultraviolet rays.

One analyst believes the Cupertino, Calif., iPhone maker will sell between 1 to 1.5 million units of the white iPhone 4 each quarter until the iPhone 5 goes on sale, presumably in the fourth quarter of this year. The device is already a hit in Asia, where it reportedly sold out in Hong Kong in just one hour and quickly sold out in mainland China.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    funkyp56funkyp56 Posts: 36member
    LOL I am waiting outside for Apple to open right now to get my hands on one of these for the wife for mothers day.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) No complete change of the antenna ye again¡

2) I like that Josh keeps up with the weekend news.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    The first thing that got scratched on my ip4 was the glass in front of the lens. It actually stand slightly proud of the rest of the glass. I always thought it should be slightly recessed.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    daffyducdaffyduc Posts: 26member
    "Early comparisons of the white iPhone 4 have also revealed that the device is 0.2mm thicker than the black version."

Please! Enough with the fake rumors!!! No difference in thickness!

http://blogdoiphone.com/2011/04/mata...a-que-a-preta/
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaffyDuc View Post

"Early comparisons of the white iPhone 4 have also revealed that the device is 0.2mm thicker than the black version."

Please! Enough with the fake rumors!!! No difference in thickness!

image: http://blogdoiphone.com/wp-content/u...1/04/ip4b4.jpg

http://blogdoiphone.com/2011/04/mata...a-que-a-preta/

I did my own tests in a store yesterday. I couldn?t perceive a difference when they were side-by-sideand my eyes were at table level. That doesn?t mean there isn?t a difference. As noted it?s 0.2mm (0.00787?) which is, as I?ve been informed, less than 2 sheets of notebook paper in thickness. I don?t that would be measurable without a micrometer and that difference does make sense considering the issues they had with the white paint.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    Every dimension on every product ever produced has a manufacturing tolerance. Apple sells over a million phones a month. There is going to be variance. Whether or not it is as much as 0.2mm, any two iphones compared may or may not be different.

All things being equal, a given number of white iPhones may be actually thicker than a given black iPhone. And the opposite is also true.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Well Apple does have a disclaimer on their site specifying that actual size and weight may vary due to manufacturing processes. Also, I think this link brings an argument to the size questions:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/05/01/ap...that-you-read/

Of course Schiller says it's not true, but the pictures shows differently. Also, plenty of people are stating their already tight cases don't fit the white iPhone 4. Also, I want a white iPhone 4.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    So the white iPhone sold out instantly in Korea and China.....

Such racists...
  • Reply 9 of 27
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

... Of course Schiller says it's not true, but the pictures shows differently.

Also, plenty of people are stating their already tight cases don't fit the white iPhone 4.

Also, I want a white iPhone 4.

That picture appears to show a gap that's closer to a millimetre than two tenths of one, so it obviously isn't that objectively done.

The whole phone is only 9.3 mm thick.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    stokessdstokessd Posts: 103member
    Hopefully the new proximity sensor won't suck as bad as the ones in my (now second) iPhone4. It's so bad, that I have taken to using calllock so I don't mute, or cheek dial.

Sheldon
  • Reply 11 of 27
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Looks like it was more than just a new paint color...thankfully, Apple sweats the details. All things considered, I'll take mine in black.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

That picture appears to show a gap that's closer to a millimetre than two tenths of one, so it obviously isn't that objectively done.

The whole phone is only 9.3 mm thick.

With more important things to worry about in the world, I'm really surprised about there being such a dialogue regarding the thickness of a cell phone.

However, this photo does bring up an interesting thing. From this photo, it's obvious that the white phone is thicker. But the stainless steel band/antenna seems to be at the same level as the black phone. This would tell me that one side of the white iPhone is thicker, and that the other side is the same thickness as the black iPhone.

It could also possibly be that after seeing so many comparison photos, I'm just going fruity.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    May I be the first to offer a free kick to the nuts to anyone who is concerned about a 0.2mm difference in phone thickness.

So much facepalm...
  • Reply 14 of 27
    muffinssmuffinss Posts: 14member
    Why do people even care how thick it is? Seriously, its just a phone. No matter what, its going to be small enough to fit in your hand and pocket.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muffinss View Post

Why do people even care how thick it is? Seriously, its just a phone. No matter what, its going to be small enough to fit in your hand and pocket.

Right?! It’s not about how thick your iPhone is, it’s about how you’re holding it wrong.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Apple sells over a million phones a month.

Waaay more than a million a month...

Apple was selling an average of over 200,000 iPhones every day last quarter.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muffinss View Post

But we all know that size really does matter.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

However, this photo does bring up an interesting thing. From this photo, it's obvious that the white phone is thicker. But the stainless steel band/antenna seems to be at the same level as the black phone. This would tell me that one side of the white iPhone is thicker, and that the other side is the same thickness as the black iPhone.

It could also possibly be that after seeing so many comparison photos, I'm just going fruity.

Not necessarily fruity. Reports have said the camera is inset more so that side may in fact be slightly thicker to accommodate.

Plus there isn't a single comparison I've seen that first shows me that the surface the two phones are lying on are perfectly flat and debris free.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Not necessarily fruity. Reports have said the camera is inset more so that side may in fact be slightly thicker to accommodate.

There is zero chance Apple would produce a phone that is thicker on one side than the other. Also, while manufacturing tolerances are not zero, it is also typically better than 0.2mm.

There's something fishy about all this. Surely, there are enough white phones already out there for an honest assessment?
  • Reply 20 of 27
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I would be interested in swapping my iPhone 4 for a white one. But seeing how my local telco sucks so badly (1 month wait before they will even *look* at the hardware to service it), I think I'll skip on the white, and skip the next gen iPhone too...

The local telcos here just can't be trusted to act in a reliable fashion with regard to the iPhone. Take note that this situation is what has also lead to the proliferation of Android globally. Telcos getting frustrated with stock issues or telcos not getting their way, so they push Android to continue to have the "latest and greatest" to get user contracts.

Until countries get official Apple Stores, relying on telcos for iPhone service will continue to be dicey. In my situation which is not uncommon, many would simply pick up a spare cheaper Android phone to tie them through months of waiting for an iPhone replacement.

Tim Cook mentioned supply-demand balance in most countries for iPhone 4... I don't think that is the case. There is still a lot more demand should the telcos be willing to properly place large, consistent orders and suitable orders for servicing replacements.

BTW I bet you 99% of those Hong Kong white iPhones are now on the grey market.