Apple's iPad 2 launch in Asia draws crowds

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

A couple of questions:

1) Who do you like for 3G service? A few months ago, I went into a Reliance shop and picked up a 3G USB modem for my MacBook. It was not very "reliant". \ Most shops tend to freak out at the very sight of an Apple logo. Are there any "Mac-friendly" 3G providers?

2) Where did you pick up your iPad 2?

I'm actually planning on having a friend bring one to me from the US, so I don't have to pay the 25-30% "luxury tax" for buying it here.

1) As of now the best bet seems to be BSNL CellOne. I have Airtel 3G for my iPhone and it really is bad. The Internet responds faster when I am on Edge.

I am not sure about Vodaphone or Idea though.

2) I picked it up in Bangalore from the Imagine store in UB City.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronTed View Post

How much did you pay in rupees for the iPad 2?

iPaid (see what I did there?) Rs. 46,900/-, which works out to about $1050.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Is 3G service available yet in India? I thought that licenses had only been recently handed out?

Yes, quite a few providers with 3G services now. Off the top of my head I can name BSNL, Airtel, Vodafone, Idea & Aircel.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Good points, for sure. But the average (i.e. uninformed) consumer will simply look at the two and and say, "My God, the Dell is sooo much cheaper!!" and not even give the MBA a second look.

The thing is that apart from general consumer electronics stores like Chroma, the place where you can get Macs are only at dedicated Apple showrooms like Imagine and iStore. You get the iPods anywhere, but Macs are only available in places like Chroma, which has a dedicated space for Macs, or in the exclusive Apple showrooms. I don't think that anyone would wonder whether to pick up a Dell or a MacBook. The way I see it, there are 2 kinds of consumers here - one who has already decided to buy a Dell (due to pricing or specs) and only looks at the MacBook out of curiosity and the other who has already decided to buy a MacBook. It is unlikely that anyone with a budget to pick up a Macbook would actually consider Dell.

Just my 2 cents on consumer mentality here.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    nuzumunuzumu Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber

Having a first post, and that being negative, makes me wonder if your comment wasn't staged as a fandroid publicity stunt.

Right, and this was the first and only time you sensed bullshit. Sorry, I remain unconvinced. Buddy.

In this thread, yea... But hey, it's cool, I see you were Navy, so I understand you may be a bit behind the curve. Semper Fi
  • Reply 24 of 25
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nuzumu View Post

In this thread, yea... But hey, it's cool, I see you were Navy, so I understand you may be a bit behind the curve. Semper Fi

Jarheads in Japan! Okay, it's cool indeed. My ship was in drydock there (Sasebo) in the winter of '66.

All I'm sayin' is that new posters are automatically subject to more scrutiny than regulars because we get a lot of trolls who show up to drop a few bombs and are never heard from again. Frequently these bombs take the form of: "I own every Apple device ever made but my new [fill in the blank] is a piece of crap and I'm moving to Android." That tends to make oldtimers here a bit skeptical. Hope you stick around and contribute from your vantage point.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    nuzumunuzumu Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Jarheads in Japan! Okay, it's cool indeed. My ship was in drydock there (Sasebo) in the winter of '66.

All I'm sayin' is that new posters are automatically subject to more scrutiny than regulars because we get a lot of trolls who show up to drop a few bombs and are never heard from again. Frequently these bombs take the form of: "I own every Apple device ever made but my new [fill in the blank] is a piece of crap and I'm moving to Android." That tends to make oldtimers here a bit skeptical. Hope you stick around and contribute from your vantage point.

Yup, I'm on board with that. I'd be skeptical too. I only found this forum from this story, so that's actually why it was my first comment. I own both iOS and Android because I develop apps on both, but truly love my iPad for its finesse.