Apple releases new iMac desktops with Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs, Thunderbolt ports

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday updated its all-in-one line of iMac desktops, adding Intel's powerful new quad-core Sandy Bridge processors, as well as the new high-speed Thunderbolt input/output port.

Starting at $1,199, the new iMac is up to 70 percent faster and new graphics deliver up to three times the performance of the previous generation.

"Our customers love the iMac’s aluminum enclosure, gorgeous display and all-in-one design," said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "With next generation quad-core processors, powerful new graphics, Thunderbolt technology and a FaceTime HD camera, we've made the world’s best desktop even better."

The new iMac features quad-core Intel Core i5 processors with an option for customers to choose Core i7 processors up to 3.4 GHz. These next generation processors feature an integrated memory controller for a more responsive experience and a powerful new media engine for high-performance video encoding and decoding. With new AMD Radeon HD graphics processors, Apple said the new iMac has the most powerful graphics ever in an all-in-one desktop.

iMac is the first desktop computer on the market to include Thunderbolt I/O technology. The 21.5-inch iMac has a single Thunderbolt port while the 27-inch model features two ports.

First introduced in new MacBook Pros in February, Thunderbolt is a high-speed input/output technology co-developed by Intel and Apple. Featuring two bi-directional channels, it offers speeds of up to 10Gbps, which is 12 times faster than FireWire 800, and 20 times faster than USB 2.0. It's even twice as fast as Intel's USB 3.0 specification, which the company still plans to support. Thunderbolt delivers PCI Express directly to external high performance peripherals such as RAID arrays, and can support FireWire and USB consumer devices, and Gigabit Ethernet networks via adapters.

Thunderbolt also supports DisplayPort for high resolution displays and works with existing adapters for HDMI, DVI and VGA displays. Freely available for implementation on systems, cables and devices, Apple said Thunderbolt technology is expected to be widely adopted as a new standard for high performance I/O.

iMac includes a built-in FaceTime HD camera and Apple’s FaceTime software for crisp, widescreen video calling the whole family can enjoy. The new camera supports high definition video calls between all FaceTime HD-enabled Macs and standard resolution calls with iPad 2, iPhone 4, the current generation iPod touch and other Intel-based Macs.

The iMac also features its signature aluminum and glass design, IPS LED-backlit high resolution display, SD card slot and comes with Apple’s Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad.

The iMac meets stringent Energy Star 5.2 requirements and achieves EPEAT Gold rating. iMac features LED-backlit displays that are mercury-free and made with arsenic-free glass. iMac uses PVC-free components and cables, contains no brominated flame retardants, uses highly recyclable materials and features material-efficient system and packaging designs.

Tech Specs

21.5-inch iMac

21.5-inch (viewable) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors

Resolution: 1920 by 1080 pixels

$1,119

2.5Ghz quad-core Intel Core i5 with 6MB on-chip shared L3 cache

4GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM (configurable to 16GB)

500GB hard drive

AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

$1,499

2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with 6MB on-chip shared L3 cache (configurable to 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7)

4GB 1333MHz DDR3 memory (configurable to 16GB)

1TB 7200rpm hard drive (configurable to 2TB hard drive or 256GB solid-state second drive)

AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

27-inch iMac

27-inch (viewable) LED-backlit glossy widescreen TFT display with support for millions of colors

Resolution: 2560 by 1440 pixels

$1,699

2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with 6MB on-chip shared L3 cache

4GB 1333MHz DDR3 memory (configurable to 16GB)

1TB 7200rpm hard drive (configurable to 2TB hard drive or 256 solid-state second drive)

AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

$1,999

3.1Ghz quad-core Intel Core i5 with 6MB on-chip shared L3 cache (configurable to 3.4Ghz quad-core Intel Core i7)

4GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM (configurable to 16GB)

1TB hard drive (configurable to 2TB hard drive or 256GB solid-state second drive)

AMD Radeon HD 6970M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory (configurable to AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 2GB DDR5)

All configurations of the new iMac include:

Video Support and Camera

FaceTime HD camera

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to a 30-inch display (2560 by 1600 pixels) on an external display

Support for extended desktop and video mirroring modes

Audio

Built-in stereo speakers

Two internal 17-watt high-efficiency amplifiers

Headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack)

Audio line in/optical digital audio input (minijack)

Built-in microphone

Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone

Connections and Expansion

One Thunderbolt port on 21.5-inch iMac

Two Thunderbolt ports on 27-inch iMac

Mini DisplayPort output with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (adapters sold separately)

One FireWire 800 port; 7 watts

Four USB 2.0 ports

SDXC card slot

Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive with 4x double-layer burning (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Audio in/out

10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)

IR receiver

Input

Apple Wireless Keyboard

Full-size keyboard with 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) keys, including 12 function keys, 4 arrow keys (inverted “T” arrangement), and embedded numeric keypad

Magic Mouse: Smooth, seamless Multi-Touch surface with support for simple gestures (scrolling and swiping). Click and double-click anywhere. Ambidextrous construction accommodates left- and right-handed users.

Magic Trackpad: Solid-state scrolling trackpad for precise cursor control; supports inertial scrolling, pinch and expand, swipe, three-finger swipe, four-finger swipe, tap, double-tap, rotate, screen zoom, scroll, click and drag, click drag and lock, secondary click A and B

Wireless

Wi-Fi: 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking;2 IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible

Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless technology

Size and Weight

21-inch

Height: 17.75 inches (45.1 cm)

Width: 20.8 inches (52.8 cm)

Depth: 7.42 inches (18.85 cm)

Weight: 20.5 pounds (9.3 kg)

27-inch

Height: 20.4 inches (51.7 cm)

Width: 25.6 inches (65.0 cm)

Depth: 8.15 inches (20.7 cm)

Weight: 30.5 pounds (13.8 kg)

Electrical and Operating Requirements

Line voltage: 100-240V AC

Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase

Maximum continuous power: 205W (21.5-inch models); 310W (27-inch models)

Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)

Storage temperature: -4° to 116° F (-20° to 47° C)

Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing

Maximum altitude: 10,000 feet

Typical acoustical performance

Sound pressure level (operator position): 18 dBA at idle

Limited Warranty and Service

Your iMac comes with 90 days of free telephone support and a one-year limited warranty. Purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan to extend your service and support to three years from your computer’s purchase date. Only the AppleCare Protection Plan provides you with direct telephone support from Apple technical experts and the assurance that repairs will be handled by Apple-authorized technicians using genuine Apple parts. For more information, visit Apple support or call 800-823-2775.

Environmental Status Report

iMac is designed with the following features to reduce its environmental impact:

Arsenic-free display glass

BFR-free

PVC-free5

Mercury-free LED-backlit display

Highly recyclable aluminum and glass enclosures

Meets ENERGY STAR 5.2 requirements

Rated EPEAT Gold6

In the Box

iMac

Apple Wireless Keyboard

Apple Magic Mouse

Power cord

Install/restore DVDs

Printed and electronic documentation

Included Software\t

Mac OS X Snow Leopard: Includes iTunes, Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Front Row, Xcode Developer Tools, and more.

iLife: Includes iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, and iWeb.

Pricing and Availability

The new iMac is available through the Apple Store (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

The 21.5-inch iMac is available in two configurations: one with a 2.5 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, AMD Radeon HD 6750M and 500GB hard drive for a suggested retail price of $1,199 (US); and one with a 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, AMD Radeon HD 6770M and 1TB hard drive for a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US).

The new 27-inch iMac is available in two models: one with a 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, AMD Radeon HD 6770M and 1TB hard drive for a suggested retail price of $1,699 (US); and one with a 3.1 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, AMD Radeon HD 6970M and 1TB hard drive for a suggested retail price of $1,999 (US).

Configure-to-order options include faster Intel Core i7 processors up to 3.4 GHz, additional hard drive capacity up to 2TB, a 256GB solid state drive, additional DDR3 memory and AppleCare® Protection Plan. Additional technical specifications and configure-to-order options and accessories are available online at apple.com/imac.

AppleInsider reported on Saturday that Apple would introduce its new Sandy Bridge-powered iMacs this week. The company's all-in-one desktop was last upgraded nine months ago, in July, when they were equipped with Intel Core i processors and ATI Radeon graphics.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 311
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    Nice! I want one. Love that they kept FW800!
  • Reply 2 of 311
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Very similar to the MBP upgrade. Faster GPU, graphics and ports but nothing much else...

A performance upgrade basically.
  • Reply 3 of 311
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    No USB 3 and two Thunderbolts ports...
  • Reply 4 of 311
    The keyboard option with a numeric keypad is noticeably absent. So no more wired options

Still no matte screen, but with LED back lighting, I wonder if you could adjust the levels so that you don't notice the glare?
  • Reply 5 of 311
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    And Apple keeps on comin'. Will dissect the GPU offerings shortly after my Portal 2 session on my gaming PC.
  • Reply 6 of 311
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Does anyone know if this allows me to connect a PS3 at a resolution > 720p?

I use a conversion box with my 2 year-old iMac for HDMI > DisplayPort but the 720p limitation is with the iMac.
  • Reply 7 of 311
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

No USB 3 no loss. \
  • Reply 8 of 311
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member
    Quote:

Is it possible to have 2 external displays?
  • Reply 9 of 311
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Are there any USB3 to TB adaptors available?
  • Reply 10 of 311
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Very similar to the MBP upgrade. Faster GPU, graphics and ports but nothing much else...

A performance upgrade basically.

Maybe, but a hell of an upgrade. This baby is going to be sold like fresh blueberry muffins.
  • Reply 11 of 311
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

Neither Intel or AMD has native support for USB3 in their chipsets yet. For Intel, that is coming w/Ivy Bridge next year. Apple won't support it until it is standard.
  • Reply 12 of 311
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    So how long before we see a Mac Mini upgrade. It does seem that since Apple went to the trouble of doing a major re-design not so long ago, the Mini has a future. Or does it?
  • Reply 13 of 311
    4miler4miler Posts: 24member
    No matte antiglare screens on the new iMacs. If you need matte screens, there's something you can do - add your voice to 1,300+ petitions at http://macmatte.wordpress.com Unlike personal emails to Apple - which Apple just ignore, asserting everyone loves glossy screens - make it count by adding to the online petition where your voice will remain visible on the net until Apple listens. Remember, adding your comment to transient news articles on the net is fine, but those articles go out of date in a few weeks, and also there is no long-term accumulation and consolidation of numbers, like there is at a petition site.
  • Reply 14 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

The keyboard option with a numeric keypad is noticeably absent. So no more wired options

It's still there from what I can see.
  • Reply 15 of 311
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Any other changes noticed?
  • Reply 16 of 311
    There is a BTO 2GB graphics card!

SSDs a lot cheaper.
  • Reply 17 of 311
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

No matte antiglare screens on the new iMacs. If you need matte screens, there's something you can do - add your voice to 1,300+ petitions at http://macmatte.wordpress.com Unlike personal emails to Apple - which Apple just ignore, asserting everyone loves glossy screens - make it count by adding to the online petition where your voice will remain visible on the net until Apple listens. Remember, adding your comment to transient news articles on the net is fine, but those articles go out of date in a few weeks, and also there is no long-term accumulation and consolidation of numbers, like there is at a petition site.

And how has that petition worked out for you? Have you gotten that matte option yet? How long has it been going on?
  • Reply 18 of 311
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

So how long before we see a Mac Mini upgrade. It does seem that since Apple went to the trouble of doing a major re-design not so long ago, the Mini has a future. Or does it?

If the order means anything, the Mini will be next to be updated.

It definitely has a future. It's the 'server' platform now, and with a Thunderbolt and quad cores, it would be quite a spiffy one. Pop a SSD inside, and a thunderbolt RAID on cable, and it would be quite the SMB workgroup server.
  • Reply 19 of 311
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Is it possible to have 2 external displays?

yes, but the second thunderbolt isn't there for its latent display port capability.
  • Reply 20 of 311
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

dude, buy a mac mini and BYO-monitor. Go away.