Apple releases new iMac desktops with Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs, Thunderbolt ports

Comments

• Reply 121 of 311
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

1300 people is a rounding error to their sales.

Yep. iMac means "pop". Can you imagine the noses turned up by people who pass by one and see how normal instead of zingy it looks?

I'm matte screen all around, but that's like telling Mercedes to make some sensible family cars. It ain't the niche.

If you want a matte screen don't waste your time signing the petition. Just get something that comes in matte.
  • Reply 122 of 311
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Where you place it in a room can also do wonders for the glare issue.

Yeah these Mac noobies don't know anything about Feng shui or interior decorating. You are not supposed to sit with your back to the window. Rearrange your furniture properly and you won't have any glare.
  • Reply 123 of 311
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 124 of 311
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Well said, Sol. I can get all the sarcasm and derision I want from my GF at home! I come here to get away from that.

You must get a lot of "sarcasm and derision" at home if this is where you come for your moment of zen!!

Quote:

Good luck with that. Apple is selling their machines like crazy. Until a major group like the studios come out and say that they would love to use iMacs for their Final Cut etc but they have to have matte screens, no amount of names on an easy to forge and pad online petition is going to do squat. The TV fanboys learned this when their petitions don't bring back their precious ratings failure shows.

For the record, a small but actual number of TV shows have been brought back (or picked up by other channels) on the basis of fan campaigns - tho' of course most haven't.

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com...mpaigns-th.php

http://screenrant.com/nathan-fillion...-mcrid-102683/

http://screenrant.com/nathan-fillion...-mcrid-102683/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

So true. Used to be Apple would have an event for their premier product, with Jobs talking about how these new machines are "screamers."

Now the Mac doesn't even rate the front page of the website. Very sad for those who need a real computer. I guess we are the minority, like the people who want matte screens.

Yes, the world is dominated by teenagers who want to tweet and text while strolling down the street, riding bikes and driving cars. And the only multitasking required is trying to see your content behind the reflection of your face.

A different era indeed.

As the Steve has said, there'll always be trucks around. And they'll probably get "truckier" as all the dilettantes who only need iDevices aren't around our PCs. So enjoy being a trucker. We're bad ass!!
  • Reply 125 of 311
    quadesl63quadesl63 Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Was it me, or did I not see any bitching about the lack of blu-ray?

Now that you bring this up

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

As for SSDs, I'd pick the faster CPU over the SSD because you can always add SSD later. Your stuck with the CPU for the life of the machine. Plus, you can get faster SSDs from third parties. Get the hard drive, and if/when you get an SSD, put the drive in an external enclosure for more storage or use as Time Machine backup disk.

I guess for most the reason we want a SSD configuration is to (pre)install the OS and (some of) the applications on it for faster disk access performance (e.g. app loading time, etc.) Adding a SSD later as an external storage is kind of defeating the purpose.
  • Reply 126 of 311
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

And there are no spec with 8GB default Ram, adding memory actually means it is expensive even of you do it yourself, since you have to throw away both slot in order to get 8GB.

If you're not squeamish about getting into the guts of your iMac, you can order RAM from some third party place for considerably less than Apple's BTO price. You might also be able to get some money back for the original RAM.
  • Reply 127 of 311
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

If you're not squeamish about getting into the guts of your iMac, you can order RAM from some third party place for considerably less than Apple's BTO price. You might also be able to get some money back for the original RAM.

You should probably keep the old ram in case you need to take it in for service. If something is wrong under warranty and you don't have the original ram in it could be a problem exchanging it or servicing it at Apple.
  • Reply 128 of 311
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    What was that thing that Microsoft were gibbering about a couple of years ago for Vista?

Hybrid drives !

Weren't they saying how wonderful it would be because you could plug in a flash pendrive externally and it would speed up processing as a RAM cache? I never heard of anyone actually using it.

Any relevance to thunderbolt here? I.e., plug in a 10GB dongle and see your iMac speed up?
  • Reply 129 of 311
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

No matte antiglare screens on the new iMacs. If you need matte screens, there's something you can do - add your voice to 1,300+ petitions at....

1300+ people need to buy better curtains.

Blu-ray would have been nice but wasn't expected.

a 30" would have been very nice, shame.

I'll consider upgrading when Lion comes out.
  • Reply 130 of 311
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Just out of curiosity is the desire for a non-glossy screen about reflections or the 'I use it for color accuracy' argument? If the former I'd say I far prefer the glossy and simply moving position or lighting. That one I guess is personal preferences.

For me, it is purely the reflections. I sit in an office with the lights off and prefer the brightness to be in the mid-to-low range, as the higher brightness is hard on my eyes. Even at full brightness though, the black band is fully reflective. I have tried every permutation, including switching offices and any possible position of the unit, different lighting setups, etc, all to no avail. If we were talking about a $1,500 computer here, ok, well... those are the breaks. But this was a $4,500 machine as configured!

All I am hoping for is someone to make a 3rd party museum glass replacement. You can't do any coatings or film to fix the existing glass; it is too far from the display itself. I did try and get pricing for a custom museum glass, but the challenge was going to be duplicating Apple's metal frame and bonding to the glass.
  • Reply 131 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

The only thing Apple listens to is their customers ringing up the cash registers. Apple doesn't do "focus groups" and customer surveys. It's why they're great.

I find that statement hard to understand. You would rather never have any input on the direction your purchases took? You would rather just be milked as a cash cow?
  • Reply 132 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NYRangers85 View Post

Can anyone give me any tips on comparing the i5 vs i7 processors?

I use Logic Pro a lot and need to decide if the i7 is worth the upgrade. Also, is it strange that the 15" and 17" MBPs come with i7 default and the iMacs are an additional updgrade? is there any particular reason for that?

Anything a bit more in depth than "they're faster" would be tremendously appreciated.

The Hyper thread ability of the i7 cpu's makes the difference, but spend money on the RAM for Logic.
  • Reply 133 of 311
    tingertinger Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday updated its all-in-one line of iMac desktops, adding Intel's powerful new quad-core Sandy Bridge processors, as well as the new high-speed Thunderbolt input/output port.

AppleInsider reported on Saturday that Apple would introduce its new Sandy Bridge-powered iMacs this week. The company's all-in-one desktop was last upgraded nine months ago, in July, when they were equipped with Intel Core i processors and ATI Radeon graphics.

So what's the deal with the Sandy Bridge technology? It's been pretty much panned for the MBP line, so why continue with it here? What am I missing?

Thanks.
  • Reply 134 of 311
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NYRangers85 View Post

once again, any comments are greatly appreciated....any takers?

I have the i7 and am happy to have the performance out of it. It seems to really make a difference in Parallels and Creative Suite, but I can't speak for Logic.
  • Reply 135 of 311
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    I am another one of the dirty stinking matte lovers. I also prefer 16:10 for computing but I'll leave that discussion for another day.

To put it simply, I get horrible headaches from glossy displays. It's very bad with the new iMacs, which I don't work with very long if I can avoid it.

Ok, so Apple and no one else cares. I get it. Workarounds include peeling off the front glass with sticky tape or suction, using an anti-glare adhesive (which has issues), and carefully controlling your environment. Or maybe flip the thing around and use another display externally. But you shouldn't have to do all this for a new computer. Or build a hackintosh.

The irony to me is that the original CRT displays were very glossy, and people had to get antiglare filters and hoods all the time. Then we get LCD and the glare goes away, but the native resolution is never where you like it and the scaling technology was terrible. Now you can get LCD's with high PPI, but they are glossy. Vicious.

I would have bought a Mac Mini in a heartbeat but the specs seem gimpish. Integrated GPU, 5400rpm laptop drive, still only 2GB RAM in default config. If they beefed up the Mini a bit or lowered the price I'd probably be all over it. But right now the specs aren't any better than my years old PC. Which is a real shame.
  • Reply 136 of 311
    A 7200rpm drive? Really? I'll stick with my 15krpm SAS drive thanks.
  • Reply 137 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

I am another one of the dirty stinking matte lovers. I also prefer 16:10 for computing but I'll leave that discussion for another day...

I agree I want a computer, not a glorified flat screen TV. 16:9 is retarded.
  • Reply 138 of 311
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Yeah and??? It is a winning physical design that sells like crazy. So of course it's just going to be under the hood stuff

I wasn't criticising it, just describing/categorising. The iMac is my favourite computer.
  • Reply 139 of 311
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

Why you think a glossy screen makes so much difference?

Glossy screen hurts my eyes.
  • Reply 140 of 311
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I like Matte Screens better for some things such as working in photo shop and in areas where direct light is shining on the monitor. However, the iMac is billed as a consumer oriented machine. Gloss screens tend to look better for other things consumer like to do such as playing video. Also gloss screens have come a long way.

I don't see Apple changing back to Matte screens in the consumer market because 1) most consumers do not care, and 2) gloss costs less.

Matte screen users have options. You can buy a Mac Pro or a Mac Mini and bring your own monitor.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

No matte antiglare screens on the new iMacs. If you need matte screens, there's something you can do - add your voice to 1,300+ petitions at http://macmatte.wordpress.com Unlike personal emails to Apple - which Apple just ignore, asserting everyone loves glossy screens - make it count by adding to the online petition where your voice will remain visible on the net until Apple listens. Remember, adding your comment to transient news articles on the net is fine, but those articles go out of date in a few weeks, and also there is no long-term accumulation and consolidation of numbers, like there is at a petition site.