Apple releases new iMac desktops with Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs, Thunderbolt ports

Comments

• Reply 141 of 311
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

And how has that petition worked out for you? Have you gotten that matte option yet? How long has it been going on?

we at least gotten our option for 15" and 17" mbps, after a long fight, and they didn't gladly opt for glass on the air.

But the imac screen glare still remains an abberation.
  • Reply 142 of 311
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

A 7200rpm drive? Really? I'll stick with my 15krpm SAS drive thanks.

Really? And you think an iMac should come with SAS. Right... Are you just boasting or what? I have a 50,000 sq. ft. data center hooked up to my iMac. So there.
  • Reply 143 of 311
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I get more headaches with Gloss as well. I use Flux, a free Mac OSX application that helps. It changes the screen's lighting around to match your environment. At night time it is super useful.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

I am another one of the dirty stinking matte lovers. I also prefer 16:10 for computing but I'll leave that discussion for another day.

To put it simply, I get horrible headaches from glossy displays. It's very bad with the new iMacs, which I don't work with very long if I can avoid it.

Ok, so Apple and no one else cares. I get it. Workarounds include peeling off the front glass with sticky tape or suction, using an anti-glare adhesive (which has issues), and carefully controlling your environment. Or maybe flip the thing around and use another display externally. But you shouldn't have to do all this for a new computer. Or build a hackintosh.

The irony to me is that the original CRT displays were very glossy, and people had to get antiglare filters and hoods all the time. Then we get LCD and the glare goes away, but the native resolution is never where you like it and the scaling technology was terrible. Now you can get LCD's with high PPI, but they are glossy. Vicious.

I would have bought a Mac Mini in a heartbeat but the specs seem gimpish. Integrated GPU, 5400rpm laptop drive, still only 2GB RAM in default config. If they beefed up the Mini a bit or lowered the price I'd probably be all over it. But right now the specs aren't any better than my years old PC. Which is a real shame.

• Reply 144 of 311
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

The keyboard option with a numeric keypad is noticeably absent. So no more wired options

Still no matte screen, but with LED back lighting, I wonder if you could adjust the levels so that you don't notice the glare?

Wired keyboards with numpad are BTO/CTO, , just as they were last week when I checked.

Depending on the image, that can be pretty bright, especially if it's a dark image. It seems like if Apple was going to offer a no-glare on iMac, they would have done it by now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Are there any USB3 to TB adaptors available?

Do you mean TB to USB3? USB3 to TB defeats the point of TB.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

No matte antiglare screens on the new iMacs. If you need matte screens, there's something you can do - add your voice to 1,300+ petitions at http://macmatte.wordpress.com Unlike personal emails to Apple - which Apple just ignore, asserting everyone loves glossy screens - make it count by adding to the online petition where your voice will remain visible on the net until Apple listens. Remember, adding your comment to transient news articles on the net is fine, but those articles go out of date in a few weeks, and also there is no long-term accumulation and consolidation of numbers, like there is at a petition site.

White space man, white space! That said, I was tempted to nix this post for spam, though it seems legitimate now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

And how has that petition worked out for you? Have you gotten that matte option yet? How long has it been going on?

Apple did re-add the matte option to 15", so there might be some demand. Petitions don't seem to work though, I doubt they'd notice one with 1500 signatures.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

They have a 256GB Solid State Drive option for $600. Just wish they had a 128 GB SSD. That is what you need for OS and applications and desktop. It would be a lot more affordable. I wonder if an aftermarket SSD would be installable. They do seem to have 2 drive bays.

There is at least one aftermarket SSD kit for the current size iMacs. I think I've heard of one that allows one SSD and one desktop hard drive, but I can't find it. You or someone would have to do an extensive disassembly to install them though. Maxupgrades has a mount adapter to convert to SSD, and replace the optical drive with SSD.
  • Reply 145 of 311
    luphluph Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

1300+ people need to buy better curtains.

Blu-ray would have been nice but wasn't expected.

a 30" would have been very nice, shame.

I'll consider upgrading when Lion comes out.

I don't own an iMac, but I've been in our local Apple store which has no ambient lighting, and the reflection from the iMac screens there was still pretty awful.

And you really can't expect everyone to use their machines in some isolated dark area of their house.
  • Reply 146 of 311
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Really? And you think an iMac should come with SAS. Right... Are you just boasting or what? I have a 50,000 sq. ft. data center hooked up to my iMac. So there.

Yeah, that performance path has died. 15k RPM on a desktop is dumb now, get the best SSD you can afford and be done with it. Or it's a really lame troll.
  • Reply 147 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Apple did re-add the matte option to 15", so there might be some demand. Petitions don't seem to work though, I doubt they'd notice one with 1500 signatures.

Maybe we should try to get Al Franken to start a federal investigation.
  • Reply 148 of 311
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You should probably keep the old ram in case you need to take it in for service. If something is wrong under warranty and you don't have the original ram in it could be a problem exchanging it or servicing it at Apple.

Perhaps. But I can't say from experience. In over 20 years of Mac ownership, I've never once taken a machine in for service. Call me lucky!

That's not to say that I've never had parts fail--but that was long after the warranty expired, and after said model was EOL'ed, so hardly worth the hassle of repair.

But, I am annoyed that Apple chooses to fill at least two RAM slots with their "minimum" RAM configuration. It's such a waste. I'm not saying they should max out the RAM, but it would be much less wasteful to use up just one slot for the minimum configuration.
  • Reply 149 of 311
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Do you mean TB to USB3? USB3 to TB defeats the point of TB.

No I mean USB 3 to TB.

That way if USB 3 HDD become commonplace as I suspect they will I can plug them into the TB slot using an adaptor and at least be able to get the USB 3 transfer speed.
  • Reply 150 of 311
    imoanimoan Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

Why you think a glossy screen makes so much difference?

I don't really, not on a desktop machine. I think it matters more on a laptop that you might want to take on the deck, or an iPad you might want to take to the park.

But I really don't wish to get sucked into the glossy matte debate.

The overall intent of my post was to ask what Apple thinks these machines are for? There is a lot of hardware here but it is advertised as a very expensive TV set. Is that all we use iMac's for? With all this hardware, it can do much more.

I haven't seen a TV ad for the Mac since the demise of the Long-Hodgeman ads. You might be surprised how many people don't even know Apple makes regular computer. If Apple pushed the Mac like they push the iOS stuff, it would serve them better than relegating the Mac to a little box on the bottom left corner of the home page.

Just my opinion.
  • Reply 151 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

The keyboard option with a numeric keypad is noticeably absent. So no more wired options

Still no matte screen, but with LED back lighting, I wonder if you could adjust the levels so that you don't notice the glare?

There are four options for the wired keyboard with the numeric keypad right below the four options for the wireless keypad - no addtional cost.

Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

Apple Wireless Keyboard (Western Spanish) & User's Guide

Apple Wireless Keyboard (French) & User's Guide

Apple Wireless Keyboard (Japanese) & User's Guide

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) & User's Guide

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (Western Spanish) & User's Guide

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (French) & User's Guide

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (Japanese) & User's Guide

As for the the screen, yeah a lot of people seem to want matte screens. I used a matte screen at work and a 27 inch iMac at home and for me, I like the crispness and vibrance of the iMac screen. Something about matte screens that seem fuzzy that bothers me.
  • Reply 152 of 311
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I can't remember where I saw it, but someone wrote an article when the Macbook Pros first got Thunderbolt saying that they could only handle one half of one Thunderbolt channel due to their limited processing power.

I wonder what the story is on these new iMacs, then.
  • Reply 153 of 311
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

And there are no spec with 8GB default Ram, adding memory actually means it is expensive even of you do it yourself, since you have to throw away both slot in order to get 8GB.

There's 4 SODIMMS so you can just add two more 2GB chips to get 8GB total...
  • Reply 154 of 311
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mostro View Post

and the best news for me at least (and for those who live in canada), is that for the first time, they cost the same in both US and Canada...finally . I has been waiting for this since the loonie is on par (or slightly over) the american dolar.

Ditto for the Mini which begs the question, why are all of the other products still priced differently.

Apple should standardize the entire product line, do it in one shot and make a point of getting some PR mileage out of the move. After all, Apple can choose to adjust pricing down the road if the US dollar comes back but we all know that's a ways off.

On the other hand, with a Conservative majority guaranteeing runaway debt, maybe the Canadian dollar will not take long to slip back.
  • Reply 155 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Perhaps. But I can't say from experience. In over 20 years of Mac ownership, I've never once taken a machine in for service. Call me lucky!

That's not to say that I've never had parts fail--but that was long after the warranty expired, and after said model was EOL'ed, so hardly worth the hassle of repair.

But, I am annoyed that Apple chooses to fill at least two RAM slots with their "minimum" RAM configuration. It's such a waste. I'm not saying they should max out the RAM, but it would be much less wasteful to use up just one slot for the minimum configuration.

Selling a pair of used 1 gb sticks will net you maybe 20 bucks, which is peanuts. The hassle you would go through if you didn't have the original ram in case of needed service or exchange - hours of pleading and arguing and a $100+ penalty. Not worth it. Keep the ram.
  • Reply 156 of 311
    imoanimoan Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Luph View Post

And you really can't expect everyone to use their machines in some isolated dark area of their house.

I am reminded of a line in the movie The Social Network: "You write your snide bs from a dark room because that's what the angry do nowadays"
  • Reply 157 of 311
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

I agree I want a computer, not a glorified flat screen TV. 16:9 is retarded.

With everything being widescreen, I wonder if menus and controls should move to the sides.
  • Reply 158 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Very similar to the MBP upgrade. Faster GPU, graphics and ports but nothing much else...

A performance upgrade basically.

...just as should have been expected, and is what is warranted. The MBP and iMac form factors are not only very popular consumer wise but a very big win for Apple in terms of production and environment. Look at the aluminum Mac Pro form factor... now over five years old... iMac and MBP will not change form factor for the forseable future.
  • Reply 159 of 311
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

With everything being widescreen, I wonder if menus and controls should move to the sides.

I've had my dock on the right-hand side since OS X was first introduced. Seems natural since that's where icons pop to when saving something temporarily on the desktop. Can't do anything about the menu bar though.
  • Reply 160 of 311
    macsharkmacshark Posts: 229member
    Is "2.7GHz Core i5 processor" used in high end 21.5" and low end 27" the new Sandy Bridge 2500S chip?