Apple releases new iMac desktops with Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs, Thunderbolt ports

Comments

• Reply 201 of 311
    pondosinatrapondosinatra Posts: 464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

No but I didn't miss the part where you said SAS is cheap either. Aren't most of those controllers like a thousand dollars? The drive in a consumer All-in-one which is mostly mobile parts should have an expensive RAID set up? Right... What are you smoking?

Either you're being purposefully obtuse, or you really don't get it. I never said anything about Raid now did I? You can get SAS controllers built into the cheapest piece of crap Asus board these days. It's not a huge effort for Apple to add one to an iMac logic board.
  • Reply 202 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I like SAS because it offers dual ported drives, logic in the chipset (low CPU util) and bidirectional performance but it's still a bit spendy.

I think a SSD cache in front of larger but low spinning disk (5400rpm) is the future.

I'll agree with you there. Hybrid drives do seem to have a lot of promise.
  • Reply 203 of 311
    rkrickrkrick Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

As for SSDs, I'd pick the faster CPU over the SSD because you can always add SSD later. Your stuck with the CPU for the life of the machine. Plus, you can get faster SSDs from third parties. Get the hard drive, and if/when you get an SSD, put the drive in an external enclosure for more storage or use as Time Machine backup disk.

Agreed, Third party SSDs are significantly faster than Apple's offerings and they are slightly cheaper as well. Also, many tasks are CPU and/or GPU intense and an SSD isn't going to make up for slower processing (e.g. Video editing) and you can't change the CPU down the road. SSDs give you faster boot time (big deal, I reboot only when updates force me to) and open programs faster but may or may not improve speed working in the program.
  • Reply 204 of 311
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    So it has no USB 3, and no blu-ray drive eh? What is it with Apple and their total failure to support modern standards?

A thunderbolt port might be useful someday, but buy an external HD now and it will have USB 3 on it, not thunderbolt. And a DVD drive? Seriously Apple? You're still crippling your PCs with optical drives which are over 15 years old?
  • Reply 205 of 311
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Either you're being purposefully obtuse, or you really don't get it. I never said anything about Raid now did I? You can get SAS controllers built into the cheapest piece of crap Asus board these days. It's not a huge effort for Apple to add one to an iMac logic board.

I suppose but if you are going to go cheap why use SAS at all? SAS is a common RAID setup not a common consumer configuration. I don't see the price point being the same either. You can get a pretty good 1TB SATA drive for a hundred bucks which will most likely outlast the computer itself.
  • Reply 206 of 311
    Quote:

I suppose but if you are going to go cheap why use SAS at all? SAS is a common RAID setup not a common consumer configuration. I don't see the price point being the same either. You can get a pretty good 1TB SATA drive for a hundred bucks which will most likely outlast the computer itself.

SAS is just a technology. Raid can be used with Sata, SAS, SCSI, SSD etc. Yes SAS originated in the Enterprise environment, but it's now at a price point that there's no reason not to use it in consumer machines.
  • Reply 207 of 311
    mutatiomutatio Posts: 28member
    I'm wondering if they've axed the mini-display port line-in. I had been considering the iMac for some time as I could use it for an external monitor with my MBP. The power cable looks singular in purpose so I'm not clear on whether they axed that functionality or if the TB ports will allow for a display signal to be piped into the system...
  • Reply 208 of 311
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mutatio View Post

I'm wondering if they've axed the mini-display port line-in. I had been considering the iMac for some time as I could use it for an external monitor with my MBP. The power cable looks singular in purpose so I'm not clear on whether they axed that functionality or if the TB ports will allow for a display signal to be piped into the system...

Thunderbolt enable Macs (which currently means just the newest MBP) can utilize Target Display Mode. Older mini-displayport Macs cannot.

3rd party devices like the Belkin AV360 will not work with Thunderbolt iMacs.
  • Reply 209 of 311
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Yet they DO offer anti-glare on the MacBook Pros, so they know there are a significant number of people who want it. Why they don't give the option (extra $100?) on the iMac is unknowable. It's the only reason I don't have one.

I've compared the glossy and non-glossy MacBook Pros side by side in the Apple Store, and I see no better colors with the glossy screen.

Pro vs Consumer. End of story
  • Reply 210 of 311
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Pro vs Consumer. End of story

That's ridiculous.
  • Reply 211 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Add my voice to 'not buying until they make it useable'.

Gloss screens are for idiots. It's as simple as that.

I bought my wife a 27" iMac and she had to move her office, block part of a window to be able to use it. Yah, it was stupid to buy it. Not to mention that eye strain is a problem for everyone using them. Even if you don't think your hurting your eyes... You are. Sorry to have to break it to you. Unless you work in a cave with zero reflections... Gloss is a problem. The long term effects on your eyes are not healthy.

Shouldn't have to wear sunglasses to use a computer.

So we're to take it you're an optometrist? Funny I've used glossy screens for years. I'm nearly 35, I don't get eye strain from sitting at a computer at work all day and then for a large part of my time at home after work. I'm one of the only people in my family to have 20/20 vision. Hell, when they tested my eyes 2 months ago they told me each eye was 20/20 and I had better than 20/20 when they tested them together. Sorry if I don't take your word that I'm ruining my eyes. I don't wear sunglasses to use my computer, I just manage the contrast and brightness properly.
  • Reply 212 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's still there from what I can see.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

You are incorrect. You can still get the wired keyboard.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheFatWookie View Post

There are four options for the wired keyboard with the numeric keypad right below the four options for the wireless keypad - no addtional cost.

Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

Apple Wireless Keyboard (Western Spanish) & User's Guide

Apple Wireless Keyboard (French) & User's Guide

Apple Wireless Keyboard (Japanese) & User's Guide

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) & User's Guide

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (Western Spanish) & User's Guide

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (French) & User's Guide

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (Japanese) & User's Guide

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post

Wired Keyboard with Numerical Keypad is Free Option at the Apple Store.

Looks like I goofed

My browser didn't load the BTO page because Apple didn't have it up when they first refreshed this morning. It was just showing the wireless keyboard, trackpad, and mouse.

As for the matte screen, I'd like to see Apple offer it as an option. But these comments about "rearranging furniture" and "closing drapes" are just plain idiotic It's a little more complicated for those of us who have vision problems and taking my iMac for a ride around the house isn't going to help.
  • Reply 213 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

SAS is just a technology. Raid can be used with Sata, SAS, SCSI, SSD etc. Yes SAS originated in the Enterprise environment, but it's now at a price point that there's no reason not to use it in consumer machines.

Ok good to know. I'll mention it to Steve the next time I see him.
  • Reply 214 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

That's ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? If Apple has decided that based on everything they have heard from their users that the percentage of people who would buy an iMac for purposes that some would consider Pro rather than consumer is as small as the petitions show the matte market for an iMac to be, why wouldn't it be Pro vs Consumer? The iMac is designed as a Consumer device. The specs for it are certainly good enough that it could be used in a Pro work environment, but that is not it's goal. Apple has their own plan for each division and an expectation in mind. That doesn't include matte screens for the iMac.
  • Reply 215 of 311
    Quote:

Ok good to know. I'll mention it to Steve the next time I see him.

Appreciate it.
  • Reply 216 of 311
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Oh great. And from Apple's http://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/ ...

"And because Thunderbolt is based on DisplayPort technology, the video standard for high-resolution displays, any Mini DisplayPort display plugs right into the Thunderbolt port. To connect a DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI, or VGA display, just use an existing adapter."

So you need an adapter to get from a Thunderbolted Mac to a DisplayPort display, but no adapter to get from said Mac to any Thunderbolt device.

No fork.

What's the problem? Apple's products come with miniDisplayPort connectors; requiring an adapter to connect to a DisplayPort monitor is nothing new here.
  • Reply 217 of 311
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

So we're to take it you're an optometrist? Funny I've used glossy screens for years. I'm nearly 35, I don't get eye strain from sitting at a computer at work all day and then for a large part of my time at home after work. I'm one of the only people in my family to have 20/20 vision. Hell, when they tested my eyes 2 months ago they told me each eye was 20/20 and I had better than 20/20 when they tested them together. Sorry if I don't take your word that I'm ruining my eyes. I don't wear sunglasses to use my computer, I just manage the contrast and brightness properly.

Quote:

Yeah these Mac noobies don't know anything about Feng shui or interior decorating. You are not supposed to sit with your back to the window. Rearrange your furniture properly and you won't have any glare.

I think this is an extremely naive viewpoint.

You won't eliminate all glare, well maybe unless you live in a cave.

I have 20/10 vision and good eye movement and coordination. I am fortunate that the world is often presented quite clearly for me to see. I am grateful for it. What I don't need is for people telling me to accept a screen that I know isn't acceptable. I can barely tolerate the iPad in my bedroom with the lights out and curtains and shades down. I can't even take the thing outside.
  • Reply 218 of 311
    blowabsblowabs Posts: 70member
    Well..... good news.......I hope this means that the MacBook Airs will be the next upgrade to get the TB ports (prob not the SB processors)??????
  • Reply 219 of 311
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Can some mod take all the bullshit matte screen posts and dump them into a matte screen thread where they can wither and die, and the rest of us can get on discussing the actual announcement today.
  • Reply 220 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

But these comments about "rearranging furniture" and "closing drapes" are just plain idiotic It's a little more complicated for those of us who have vision problems and taking my iMac for a ride around the house isn't going to help.

Sorry about your vision problems, but you can't seriously expect an off the shelf inexpensive consumer device to be built to specifications for your medical condition. There is specially designed equipment for that. I have a couple friends who have vision problems and they utilize specific assistive computer technologies, not iMacs.