No BTO VRAM upgrade in the new 21.5" imac???

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Bummer. Dont get me wrong, i LOVE the new imacs. The faster processors. Thunderbolt. The ability to put a second SSD in even the 21.5" imacs now. ALL AWESOME.

However. I really wished there was a BTO option to bump up the VRAM in the high end 21.5" model to at least 1gig. Its the ONE BTO option they left off the smaller imac and forces you to jump to the high end 27" to get it.

I know you cant have everything, lol...but it would have been PERFECT for me. I dont need or want the HUGE 27" screen. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    I am afraid you are not alone in this. But all you can do at this point is to wait for the next update.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I am afraid you are not alone in this. But all you can do at this point is to wait for the next update.

Cant wait that long. Gotta nab me one this summer. Just gonna think it over. Wether or not i need the 1gb of vram that bad. I dont do alot of gaming, but i do do alot of HD video editing.

Even if 512 is more than enough for video editing...who knows what the demands will be in the future.

I dont really want to splurge for the 27" imac...but i may have to.

Gotta weigh my options and think about it alittle more. But no matter which one i get, i know I'll be getting a sweet machine.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

I dont really want to splurge for the 27" imac...but i may have to.

512MB VRAM should be fine for editing but the 27" has the extra advantage editing 1080p in that the screen resolution is a good deal larger than 1080p so you can open 1080p clips at native size easily.

Be aware though that the i7 21.5" is faster than the 27" i5 so you'd take a slight hit in encoding/rendering times.

Personally I'd go for the 27". The 21.5" is a puny size of screen for editing on.