82% of US tablet market owned by Apple's iPad, The Daily loses $10M

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new survey of U.S. tablet owners found that 82 percent of users have Apple's iPad. Also, the heavily hyped iPad-only publication The Daily generated 800,000 downloads and lost $10 million in its first quarter.

Nielsen: iPad has 82% US market share

A survey conducted by the Nielsen company in April found that the iPad has an 82 percent market share of tablets in the U.S. A total of 43 percent of those polled said they own the 3G connected iPad, while 39 percent said they own the Wi-Fi-only model.

The next closest competitor was the Samsung Galaxy Tab, with a 4 percent share. That was followed by the Dell Streak, which 3 percent of respondents owned, and the Motorola Xoom, which accounted for 2 percent of those polled.

The survey also found that about half of all tablet owners are the only ones in their home that use their tablet, while 43 percent share the device with others.

Since purchasing a tablet, 35 percent of those surveyed said they use their desktop less often or not at all. And 32 percent of those who own laptops said they use that computer less.

Tablets also have an effect on the use of e-readers, the poll found, as 27 percent of respondents who own an e-reader said they use it less often or not at all. The same percentage held for portable media players, while 25 percent who own portable game consoles said they use those devices less often.

Previous Nielsen surveys found that women prefer Apple's iPhone, while men tend to desire a Google Android handset as their next smartphone. And last June, it discovered that iPhone users download the most applications of any smartphone owners by far.

The Daily loses $10M in first quarter

News Corporation's The Daily, a newspaper-style publication that debuted on the iPad earlier this year and was the first to feature subscription billing, lost a total of $10 million in its first quarter of operation, according to paidContent.org. Most of those losses are said to be a result of investment costs associated with starting up the operation.

A total of 800,000 downloads of The Daily have occurred since the publication debuted. It kicked-off with a free trial period until users were required to pay 99 cents per week for access.

"It's really early days," News Corp president Chase Carey told analysts on his company's earnings conference call. "It's only a month-plus that it's been pay-based. It's actually one of the most downloaded news apps out there. It's a work-in-progress; we're proving the technology, refining the content. The tablet market is still in its infancy."

The Daily debuted in early February for the iPad. Though it is initially only available on the iPad, News Corp. plans to bring it to other tablet devices in the future.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Daily debuted in early February for the iPad. Though it is initially only available on the iPad, News Corp. plans to bring it to other tablet devices in the future.

Why not all computers while you're at it. \
  • Reply 2 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Previous Nielsen surveys found that women prefer Apple's iPhone, while men tend to desire a Google Android handset as their next smartphone. And last June, it discovered that iPhone users download the most applications of any smartphone owners by far.

Transitive property.

Women prefer iPhones and iPhone owners spend more money, therefore women spend more money.

... this is nothing new.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    I hope The Daily debacle does not sour subscriptions. It was buggy and crashed several times during each issue, rendering it unreadable. Also, it seemed to dwnload everytime you opened it and did not have background loading. When it did reload you could not easily locate new information from old.

I would subscribe if I found out they got it right.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    If competitors Motorola, Galaxy and Dell have a combined 9% of the market, and iPad has 82%, what mysterious tablet owns the remaining 9%? Perhaps iPad really has 91%? That would seem more believable.

I had high hopes for The Daily but found the bells & whistles were distracting. It took lots of swiping and tapping to find the news. Though far less glamorous, I prefer USA Today's iPad app. It is much simpler to navigate.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

Transitive property.

Women prefer iPhones and iPhone owners spend more money, therefore women spend more money.

... this is nothing new.

HAHA!

Anyhow, I definitely have used my iMac less since getting my iPad. Now "less" is a relative term, of course, and considering that I basically lived on it before, that doesn't mean that I'm not using it much now. Just less.

My poor MacBook, however -- it just sort of sits there, collecting dust.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

If competitors Motorola, Galaxy and Dell have a combined 9% of the market, and iPad has 82%, what mysterious tablet owns the remaining 9%? Perhaps iPad really has 91%? That would seem more believable.

probably the "other" category... there are tons of $100 tablets out there. plus there is the playbook... or maybe they count the nook color?
  • Reply 7 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Anyhow, I definitely have used my iMac less since getting my iPad. Now "less" is a relative term, of course, and considering that I basically lived on it before, that doesn't mean that I'm not using it much now. Just less.

does it count if you use your iMac through an iPad remote desktop app?
  • Reply 8 of 61
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    USA Today already did the work of dumbing down the news, yet surprisingly The Daily was actually able to take that a step further.

I installed The Daily when it came out, looked at some 'news' on it, and damn, talk about fluff. There were maybe 2 real news stories, the rest being fashion / entertainment / sports 'news', and even the 2 or so real stories were just written without anything approaching content.

So their money-making concept is to pay for fewer words and more pictures? Sure... but then maybe I'll just install another game and at least have fun.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    Why in the world does AppleInsider combine two totally different stories into one story. The market share iPads have, and the Daily story having nothing to do with each other. Other than that they are both iPad related. Do you see newspaper combining two stories into one? Please just post each single story.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    Since you have a web browser and can search the web.... I just can't see the point of a paid news app....
  • Reply 11 of 61
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    With all this talk about using computers less because of iPad, I wonder what time of day, circumstances, types of activities are the most common.

For example, I use my iPad mostly in the evenings and on weekends. I leave it on the coffee table at home. I used to use my MBP a lot in that same situation prior to getting the iPad. Now I almost never use my MBP while at home. I rarely take the iPad outside of the home. I check my email first thing in the morning using my iPhone. I do commute every morning but it is too short to get into reading. I wait until I get to the office before I read any news either the printed WSJ or online news using my Mac Pro. If I ever have to do any real work while at home I always use my iMac. Whenever I travel out of town, I always take both my iPad and the MBP and use them each about 50% of the time while away.

At any rate I have no use for the Daily.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    davidnessdavidness Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GNRbeaumont View Post

It was buggy and crashed several times during each issue, rendering it unreadable. Also, it seemed to download everytime you opened it and did not have background loading. When it did reload you could not easily locate new information from old.

I ready The Daily almost every day at lunch. Just now, I just got back from lunch & reading The Daily.

It almost never crashes on me, not in a long time. They do a good job of giving you a wide range of interesting stories. I find I can skim through it in about 45 minutes each day. It's not the most in-depth, but they're getting better. I think they get it right.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I have trouble believing their numbers. Apple has sold at least 20 million iPads as of this point. If that is 82% of the market, 2% comes to ~0.5 million.

I doubt very much that a a half million Xooms (2% of the market) have been sold. Didn't Motorola say that so far, they've 'shipped' only 250,000?
  • Reply 14 of 61
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

If competitors Motorola, Galaxy and Dell have a combined 9% of the market, and iPad has 82%, what mysterious tablet owns the remaining 9%?

It's probably a combination of the Archos, maybe some obscure tablet from Nokia plus the miscellaneous Windows-based tablets that have been marketed preceding the iPad.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    I have a hard time believing that a subscription model is going to work for online news delivery.

It seems obvious to me that sustainability is achieved by free delivery + advertising. The better service and content you provide, the more popular it becomes and thus advertisers pay more.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GNRbeaumont View Post

I hope The Daily debacle does not sour subscriptions. It was buggy and crashed several times during each issue, rendering it unreadable. Also, it seemed to dwnload everytime you opened it and did not have background loading. When it did reload you could not easily locate new information from old.

I though it was a great first effort, but I had the same complaints and two others:

1. The content was only available on the iPad. I think it would have been better for readers and a better for growing The Daily's subscriber base if they had also made a browser-based version and a stripped-down version iPod that was all accessible from the same subscription. More like Instapaper.

2. The Daily did not hire any writers that I would have felt like I was missing if I didn't subscribe, and I have not seen any instances where a writer for The Daily went on MSNBC or ESPN or NPR to promote a piece. The Daily does not have writers who can shape and promote the brand, so it has been out of sight, out of mind for me since I stopped reading it after the free trial.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have trouble believing their numbers. Apple has sold at least 20 million iPads as of this point. If that is 82% of the market, 2% comes to ~0.5 million.

I doubt very much that a a half million Xooms (2% of the market) have been sold. Didn't Motorola say that so far, they've 'shipped' only 250,000?

Yeah, and this survey is for US only...

So, MMI ships 250,000 Xooms world wide, to dealers, with virtually no sell through to "tablet owners" -- who are surveyed.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I think The Daily will either fold or have to be re-concepted. The old models don't work as an app. Either make it a $0.99/day daily paper with limited interactivity (maybe even just a repackaged PDF?), or a reformatted version of an ad-supported web site (make this a free version with the app itself selling for $1.99), or a streaming video-centric version with web enhancement.

The straight-forward LIFE magazine style is not working.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    With iPads reportedly replacing laptop use for for a significant percentage of owners, I'll be curious to see how MacBook sales hold up over the next few quarters. Definitely conceivable that buyers in the market for a quality Apple product may decide that a MacBook isn't as necessary with the iPad as a purchasing option, and for less money.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    jwilcoxjwilcox Posts: 13member
    [QUOTE=SpamSandwich;1859701]I think The Daily will either fold or have to be re-concepted. The old models don't work as an app.

I took a first look and did not like it. It will not be a "Newspaper" until it has comics! Preferably a selection you can chose yourself.