:( iphone 3g glass cracked...what now

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hey what are my options I droped the phone and the glass cracked around the speaker...old iphone was a lot more durable ..

Dropped that sucker like 3 times..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Pay for a new one and get a rubberized case.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Actually,

Take two Excedrin PM and call Apple in the morning to buy another one ...

...along with a nice case to prevent a relapse
  • Reply 3 of 12
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    The iPhone 3G is now different in that the LCD screen and the glass over it are now two separate pieces making it a LOT cheaper to replace just the glass. Ask Apple about the service. Also, the toughest cases are made by otterbox.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I dropped mine about 12" and it shattered the glass. Apple says a little over $200 to swap the unit. Probably since I had an invisible shield, the glass is still in place and the unit works.

Any do it yourselfers out there try this? There isn't much info on the product, I wonder if this would work for me.

http://mobile.brando.com.hk/prod_det...88&cat_id=0695
  • Reply 5 of 12
    We hear from a lot of people who say they bought a replacement glass for their iPhone 3g for cheap but now that they have it apart are not sure what to do with it. There are two major issues involved in buying the glass only. One, The original glass is glued to the digitizer (touch sensor) so you would need to be able to glue your old digitizer to the new glass and two, you will need to safely remove your delicate digitizer from your broken glass without damaging it. If you are going to do the work yourself I highly recommend buying the whole assembly like this:

http://www.etechparts.com/iPhone_3G_...p/822-4030.htm

or have a qualified repair center like us perform the repair:

http://www.missionrepair.com/Mission...p/222-4021.htm
  • Reply 6 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I have a cracked screen too. I just noticed there are a few tutorials for replacing it on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fF0DF-mbn4
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sigs21 View Post

Hey what are my options I droped the phone and the glass cracked around the speaker...old iphone was a lot more durable ..

Dropped that sucker like 3 times..

Sorry to hear about the phone, this just happened to me too. I ended up replacing the glass display and digitizer myself for around $80. It will cost you between $120-$150 to have a third party replace it like iResQ or Mission Repair.

After breaking mine and not finding a lot of good info on what to do, I created a site with information on how much it will cost you and what is covered under warranty: http://3gcrackedglass.com Soon I will put up a video tutorial on how to replace the broken glass, along with written instructions and pictures. In the mean time PDA Parts has some youtube tutorials you can check out on how to replace it yourself.

Cheers,

Tim
  • Reply 8 of 12
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I know, old thread and all, but I just replaced my cracked glass. I broke it in November, it was from a corner-on drop from maybe 4ft above concrete. It still worked so I just lived with it for a few months with a bit of tape to make sure the shards don't fall out. Because I wasn't sure of my finances at the time as December to Feb. are usually slow months for me, I didn't want to spend a couple hundred that I thought it would take to fix it.

I paid US$30 on ebay, which included the glass, touch screen digitizer, two plastic spudgers and shipping from a domestic seller. You can buy just the glass face, but it's hard to tell whether the digitizer is damaged without disassembly, and it looks hard to separate and glue together well, I don't think it's worth cheaping out like that.

Add a razor blade, a hot air blower (intense auto shop version of a hair dryer) and maybe half an hour and it's replaced. It's not for the faint of heart, so it's probably best to get it replaced professionally if you're not into intense DIY work. The third party services I found started at $150. I don't blame them for charging that, I probably would too.

I didn't have a case for it at the time, which probably would have prevented all this. The previous case tore apart and I didn't like any that were on the market at the time, but that was a mistake. I should have at least gotten any ugly silicone case available to pass the time until better cases were made available.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Yeah, me too. Room heater is very handy.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chill0987 View Post

1) Why would Applecare cover you damaging your own iPhone and 2) your post reads almost exactly like an ad. Try to at least hide it a bit better.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Hey I have a iphone 3gs And i was curious if any one has tried a online repair facility?

I saw that this website does http:// www .Fix-iphones . com iphone glass and all other iphone repair. If any one has tried a online repair facility please comment back im worried about sending my iphone 3gs to some unknown person.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    foxhunter101foxhunter101 Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

1) Why would Applecare cover you damaging your own iPhone and 2) your post reads almost exactly like an ad. Try to at least hide it a bit better.

I dropped my iPhone 3GS on pavement and the case cracked. The phone seemed to work fine but after a while it started doing a few weird things. I had Apple Care so I took it to the local Apple store. I gave them the phone, told them I had Apple Care and they replaced the phone......NO questions asked. The best $69 I ever spent...........