Light leaks with LG iPad 2 displays make Samsung Apple's new primary supplier

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
After LG screens for the iPad 2 exhibited issues with light leakage at launch, Apple shifted most of its touchscreen purchases instead to Samsung.

Samsung shipped four million 9.7-inch panels for the iPad in the first quarter, according to DigiTimes. That total put it ahead of rival LG Display and made Samsung the largest touchscreen supplier for Apple.

LG only shipped 3.2 million units in the quarter, as there was a light leakage problem with panels produced at the company's sixth-generation production lines. Sources told the Taiwanese publication that LG has addressed issues with light leakage, and "shipment momentum" is expected to return to the company in the second quarter.

After the iPad 2 launched in March, some users reported issues with light leaks and yellowing on the tablet's 9.7-inch display. Some early iPad 2 units showed light leaking onto the screen around its bezel when displaying a dark image, sometimes referred to as a "flashlight effect."

Apple experienced crushing demand for the iPad 2 after it debuted, and has continued to struggle in restocking units. Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook referred to the situation in his company's quarterly earnings conference call as "the mother of all backlogs."

He also admitted that he wishes Apple could have produced a lot more iPad 2 units, as the company sold every device it managed to manufacture following its launch window. But he stopped short of confirming any specific component issues or shortages in the manufacturing process.

"Demand has been staggering, and I'm not going to predict when supply and demand will come into balance," he said. "I can only be confident on the supply side.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I remember back in the 80s/90s when LG used to be GoldStar, they didn't exactly have a reputation for quality back then either. We had a GoldStar TV.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I remember back in the 80s/90s when LG used to be GoldStar, they didn't exactly have a reputation for quality back then either. We had a GoldStar TV.

LG=lucky GoldStar

Although I think LG products are now better than what Goldstar was like, you don't want to have to deal with them on warrantee issues.

After dealing with one customer hostile warrantee rep I will never allow another LG product into my house.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    trex67trex67 Posts: 9member
    How widespread is this problem? I remember seeing a few reports on this when the iPad 2 came out, but I don't have any problem with mine, which I bought on day 1 (I tested it with a black screen in a dark room and didn't see any streaks.) Anyone else seen this?
  • Reply 4 of 49
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Has any one be able to get a replacement iPad 2 do to this issue?

For the most part on my iPad 2 i did not notice this issue until I viewed some photos and a movie that did not take up the whole screen. There is definite light leakage and can be really annoying watching a movie in a dark room.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    sichysichy Posts: 3member
    apparently, as mine leaks, not much but it does. It is the white version BTW, so might be that they use LG in white ones? And the black isn't black too much either, bit blueish.

Anyway, do not care much. Will sell it on eBay and buy a new one with more memory anyway :-)
  • Reply 6 of 49
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I had no idea that LG was GoldStar. GoldStar was always third tier if that high as far as I was concerned - that was who made the little TVs or VCRs that you could by for about 70% or less of what 2nd quality stuff was. That was always like what the guys at KMart would even tell you was crap - and KMart sold a lot of crap - but even GoldStar was below their standards.

I looked at LG TV's when I bought my new 50" for the MBR last year and ended up with Sony's top end product and couldn't be happier. The LG and nothing else could stand up to Sony's (say what you will about Sony but in my book they still have the best picture around - there menu system and software sucks but I don't have to deal with it much).
  • Reply 7 of 49
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peteo View Post

Has any one be able to get a replacement iPad 2 do to this issue?

For the most part on my iPad 2 i did not notice this issue until I viewed some photos and a movie that did not take up the whole screen. There is definite light leakage and can be really annoying watching a movie in a dark room.

Apple: Hey LG, the new screens you sent us are faulty. If we get too many complaints we're doing a recall and we'll expect you to replace every screen for free.

LG: No can do, Apple. Those screens were fine at the factory. How about if we give you a 10% discount.

Apple: How about if you fuck off! You'll hear from our legal team within the hour.

LG: Oh...

Apple: Hello, Samsung...
  • Reply 8 of 49
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I had no idea that LG was GoldStar. GoldStar was always third tier if that high as far as I was concerned - that was who made the little TVs or VCRs that you could by for about 70% or less of what 2nd quality stuff was. That was always like what the guys at KMart would even tell you was crap - and KMart sold a lot of crap - but even GoldStar was below their standards.

I looked at LG TV's when I bought my new 50" for the MBR last year and ended up with Sony's top end product and couldn't be happier. The LG and nothing else could stand up to Sony's (say what you will about Sony but in my book they still have the best picture around - there menu system and software sucks but I don't have to deal with it much).

I sold Goldstar products for a major retailer back in the late 80s. The return rate was phenomenal. Absolute crap.

As far as LG. Two people that I know (you know... a friend of a friend's brother's mother's next door neighbour) bought LG tv's and returned them because of burn in within the first month.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    mikemomikemo Posts: 7member
    My 16gig wifi only has this problem. Glad they did something about it. It's not bad enough for me to want an exchange though.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    askewaskew Posts: 21member
    I used to work for BEST Catalog Showrooms in the 1980s in the warehouse, pulling orders and processing returns during off-peak hours.

The rate of return for Goldstar and Emerson products was extraordinary. We shipped an enormous quantity of Goldstar and Emerson TVs and VCRs back to the main distribution center for warranty credit. Lots of products were dead straight out-of-the-box, and the rest seemed to die within a couple of weeks. It seemed we received nearly as many back as returns than we sold. My defect area had almost as many Goldstar and Emerson products as the new stock area.

I didn't know this at the time, but Emerson was buying their televisions from Goldstar and branding them under the Emerson name. No wonder they were equally as bad!

I resolved back in 1986 to never buy anything manufactured by Goldstar or Emerson again, and I've kept that vow.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    backdocbackdoc Posts: 18member
    I have 2 iPad2's. Both of them have this issue. Under normal circumstances, you wouldn't ever see it. However, in a dark room, where the screen is mostly black, the light is very visible. We thought about returning the first iPad when we discovered it. But, we decided not to when we realized that both did the same thing. But, if there is a possibility that we can get one without this issue, I'd exchange them.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    This is why sticking with a quality supplier like Samsung is important.

TSMC has its issues with the recalled nVidia chips.

Now LG has its problems with the light leaks.

Samsung never had any problems with its components.

They have the best batteries, screens, RAM chips, NAND flash, SOC chips and hard drives in the business.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    How does one verify if the screen is made by LG or Samsung?
  • Reply 14 of 49
    salmanpaksalmanpak Posts: 35member
    I got my iPad 2 the day they went on sale in Canada. It has the light leak problem. I figured I'd wait a few months before I attempt to exchange it, for the supply to loosen up a little and in the hope that they get the bugs worked out in their manufacturing process. It's not very apparent unless I'm using it in a dark room, which isn't all that often.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Apple is suing Samsung for allegedly copying their products. Does it really matter any more? When you go to the store and buy an iPad, you're effectively buying a Samsung tablet!
  • Reply 16 of 49
    weird. they color coordinated people with ipads
  • Reply 17 of 49
    rattlhedrattlhed Posts: 155member
    I didn't notice mine for a couple of weeks until I was in a dark room and viewed a movie from portrait orientation. There are a couple spots on the bottom that show a little bit. I've never had it destract me and don't really find it to be an issue it's so minor. I've seen many worst cases from pictures on the Internet, which I'm sure if mine was doing that I would return it.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

That?s a bold statement that easily proven incorrect with a simple search.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

weird. they color coordinated people with ipads

I know, right?

And the smart covers with the background colors...
  • Reply 20 of 49
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

This is why sticking with a quality supplier like Samsung is important.

TSMC has its issues with the recalled nVidia chips.

Now LG has its problems with the light leaks.

They have the best batteries, screens, RAM chips, NAND flash, SOC chips and hard drives in the business.

Completely agree. People forget that Samsung is nothing more than many, many different companies all operating under the same name. Appliances, mobile, televisions... and then the manufacturing and distribution side. They are, in my opinion, the best manufacturer and distributor in the market. Their own consumer products are hit or miss (appliances and TVs are top notch, IMO, computers and cameras are subpar, and their phones are somewhere in between), but their parts are the best in the world.