Apple's VP of software technology to be witness at US congressional hearing

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Guy L. "Bud" Tribble, Apple's vice president of software technology, is scheduled to appear at a congressional hearing on mobile privacy on May 10.

Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., announced the list of witnesses scheduled for the hearing set for next Tuesday. Franken is chairman of the Judiciary Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology, and the Law.

The subcommittee's first hearing will deal with mobile privacy in the wake of an iPhone location database controversy that Apple quickly addressed this week with an iOS software update. The hearing, which will begin at 10 a.m., is entitled "Protecting Mobile Privacy: Your Smartphones, Tablets, Cell phones and your Privacy."

Tribble served as manager of Apple's original Macintosh software development team, and helped design the original Mac OS and user interface. He also joined Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs as one of the founders of NeXT. He rejoined Apple and Jobs in 2002.

Tribble is a part of the second panel scheduled to appear at the hearing. He will be joined by Google's director of public policy for the Americas, Alan Davidson. Also on the panel are Justin Brookman, director for project on consumer privacy at the Center for Democracy and Technology; Ashkan Soltani, independent researcher and consultant; and Jonathan Zuck, president of the Association for Competitive Technology.

The first panel includes Jessica Rich, deputy director of the Bureau of Consumer Protection at the Federal Trade Commission, and Jason Weinstein, deputy assistant attorney general of the Criminal Division at U.S. Department of Justice.

Last week, Jobs gave an interview and revealed that Apple would participate in the congressional hearing.

Franken called both Apple and Google to the U.S. Senate hearing on mobile privacy in late April. The hearing was scheduled after security researchers detailed a location database file being stored on iPhones and 3G-equipped iPads running iOS 4 or later.

The issue raised such a stir that Apple was forced to publicly speak on the issue, and explain that the database is a cache of Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower database information to help with location services. A bug in the iOS software made the data collection more extensive than Apple intended, and this week's release of iOS 4.3.3 shrunk the size of the file, and made it so the file is deleted entirely when users turn off Location Services on their iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    trouble with Tribbles

• Reply 2 of 27
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Hmmm.... I wonder who they're going to give a harder time to, Apple or Google?

Top Contributors To Barack Obama, 2008

University of California\t$1,591,395

Goldman Sachs\t$994,795

Harvard University\t$854,747

Microsoft Corp\t$833,617

Google Inc\t$803,436

Citigroup Inc\t$701,290

JPMorgan Chase & Co\t$695,132

Time Warner\t$590,084

Sidley Austin LLP\t$588,598

Stanford University\t$586,557

National Amusements Inc\t$551,683

UBS AG\t$543,219

Wilmerhale Llp\t$542,618

Skadden, Arps et al\t$530,839

IBM Corp\t$528,822

Columbia University\t$528,302

Morgan Stanley\t$514,881

General Electric\t$499,130

US Government\t$494,820

Latham & Watkins\t$493,835

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/co...&cid=N00009638
  • Reply 3 of 27
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Top Contributors To Barack Obama, 2008

University of California\t$1,591,395

Goldman Sachs\t$994,795

Harvard University\t$854,747

Microsoft Corp\t$833,617

Google Inc\t$803,436

Citigroup Inc\t$701,290

JPMorgan Chase & Co\t$695,132

Time Warner\t$590,084

Sidley Austin LLP\t$588,598

Stanford University\t$586,557

National Amusements Inc\t$551,683

UBS AG\t$543,219

Wilmerhale Llp\t$542,618

Skadden, Arps et al\t$530,839

IBM Corp\t$528,822

Columbia University\t$528,302

Morgan Stanley\t$514,881

General Electric\t$499,130

US Government\t$494,820

Latham & Watkins\t$493,835

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/co...&cid=N00009638

I wonder if Franken will be able to speak in coherent sentences without having spittle flying out from between his pig lips.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Mr. Jobs has a personal history of generous contributions to the DNC and their candidates too.

http://digg.com/news/technology/List...0_to_Democrats

I think they probably have a favorable opinion of Apple's CEO.

FWIW, the list you linked is not showing contributions from the corporations themselves, but rather their employees, PAC's etc.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Mr. Jobs has a personal history of generous contributions to the DNC and their candidates too.

http://digg.com/news/technology/List...0_to_Democrats

Yeah, but he's small time. He needs to step up his game.

http://www.newsmeat.com/billionaire_...Steve_Jobs.php
  • Reply 6 of 27
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

I wonder if Franken will be able to speak in coherent sentences without having spittle flying out from between his pig lips.

Wow...

Spewing a lot of sophomoric anger maybe?

I guess you'd prefer more brilliant Minnesotans like Looney Tunes Bachmann?

Take of the ideological blinders dude. Franken's a sharp guy.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

And having contributed to President Obama gets them off the hook with Congress... how?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    I had high hopes upon Franken's election to the Senate. He's a smart guy and I generally share his political philosophy. But I'm wondering what he was thinking in calling this hearing. I'm not saying there aren't real issues in general that need addressing. But the particular issue that spawned this hearing--"tracking gate"-- has been blown out of proportion. By going nuclear on it he comes off looking like just another congressional witch hunter. Either he is not aware that level heads have judged this matter overblown, or his politics are more libertarian than progressive. Either way I am a little disappointed.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

And having contributed to President Obama gets them off the hook with Congress... how?

Do you know how Crony Capitalism works?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

No, we're small time. . . or at least I am. I think I gave a $25 contribution to some Democrat 10 or 15 years ago. Since that didn't get me an invite to one of their dinners I've figured why waste my money.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

That's a little scary. Just as chimp and monkey imagery have historically been used to smear blacks, pig imagery has been used in the same way to smear jews. You don't have to like him, but you might want to be more judicious in your descriptive metaphors if you don't want others wondering if your objections might be fueled by anti-semitism rather than just political differences.

As a music guy you are likely more aware of the power of nuance than other folks.

Just a friendly suggestion, no intention to bash or put-down. Hope you take it in that spirit.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Do you know how Crony Capitalism works?

You miss his point.

President and Congress are different political entities.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

At least he doesn't go on Internet forums and make disgusting offensive remarks about people he doesn't even know.

Also, at least he's funny and reasonably smart whereas you are obviously just mean.

• Reply 14 of 27
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

You miss his point.

President and Congress are different political entities.

I know that. But the assumption that there is some real wall of separation strikes me as a bit naive. The President and his administration influence a lot of what happens in Congress. To believe that there wouldn't be informal, back-channel communication about what things to do or not do, favors exchanged, etc. is...well...quite difficult to swallow.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Well, you never know. But Google did beat out Apple for that U.S. Army Smartphone contract.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...not_apple.html

And other leading contributors to Obama, such as Goldman Sachs, Citigroup Inc, and JPMorgan Chase, certainly got lots of help from Congress shortly after their donations.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:

Those are pretty big considering that he is only paid $1/year.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Those are pretty big considering that he is only paid $1/year.

Same pay as Warren Buffett I believe. Couldn't have anything to do with taxes on capital gains of course.\
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Well, you never know. But Google did beat out Apple for that U.S. Army Smartphone contract.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...not_apple.html

And other leading contributors to Obama, such as Goldman Sachs, Citigroup Inc, and JPMorgan Chase, certainly got lots of help from Congress shortly after their donations.

Here's the list from the same source for Obama's opponent, John McCain. Notice where your culprits are on his list. These companies hedge their bets by playing both sides.

Top Contributors to John McCain 2008

Merrill Lynch\t$373,595

Citigroup Inc\t$322,051

Morgan Stanley\t$273,452

Goldman Sachs\t$230,095

JPMorgan Chase & Co\t$228,107

US Government\t$208,379

AT&T Inc\t$201,438

Wachovia Corp\t$195,063

UBS AG\t$192,493

Credit Suisse Group\t$183,353

PricewaterhouseCoopers\t$167,900

US Army\t$167,820

Bank of America\t$166,026

Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher\t$159,596

Blank Rome LLP\t$154,226

Greenberg Traurig LLP\t$146,437

US Dept of Defense\t$144,105

FedEx Corp\t$131,974

Bear Stearns\t$117,498

Lehman Brothers\t$114,357
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Here's the list from the same source for Obama's opponent, John McCain. Notice where your culprits are on his list. These companies hedge their bets by playing both sides.

Top Contributors to John McCain 2008

Merrill Lynch\t$373,595

Citigroup Inc\t$322,051

Morgan Stanley\t$273,452

Goldman Sachs\t$230,095

JPMorgan Chase & Co\t$228,107

US Government\t$208,379

AT&T Inc\t$201,438

Wachovia Corp\t$195,063

UBS AG\t$192,493

Credit Suisse Group\t$183,353

PricewaterhouseCoopers\t$167,900

US Army\t$167,820

Bank of America\t$166,026

Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher\t$159,596

Blank Rome LLP\t$154,226

Greenberg Traurig LLP\t$146,437

US Dept of Defense\t$144,105

FedEx Corp\t$131,974

Bear Stearns\t$117,498

Lehman Brothers\t$114,357

Agreed. But Apple doesn't appear on that list either.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    this trimble guy, whats he do?