2012 Olympics

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
ok, the US gets to make a bid, but first we have to pic one city. the 4 candidates are <a href="http://www.nyc2012.com"; target="_blank">nyc</a>, Washington DC, Housten, and <a href="http://www.basoc2012.com/"; target="_blank">San Fransisco</a>. where do you want it to be and why?

(I will add links to other cities as people find them...)

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I obviously want it to be in NYC... after reading up <a href="http://www.nyc2012.com"; target="_blank">here</a> its hard not to want it here...

it seems they have a well thought out plan and would be a good way to rebuild the city after 9/11
  • Reply 2 of 17
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Definately NYC. It would really boost the city's economy.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    1bgmnk1bgmnk Posts: 26member
    I have friend that created the "simulated" venues for the NYC proposal, He was really excited about the possibility but from what he has told me it sounds like it's lost a lot of steam. The proposal has been in the works since well before 9/11, and perceived security issues have hurt the plan. It would be the best olympics, possibly ever, a change from the old world venues, centers of culture (athens, etc) to the new. very cool.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I vote DC. Why? Chances are in 2012 I'll be on the west coast, so location isn't really an issue. No. The swampy, humid air in DC will ruin the chances of those damn kenyans to win the marathon again!!!

Of course, Houston is perhaps the one city on Earth that actually has worse summer weather than we do. Florida is pretty brutal too.

Training in the summer in DC is not much different than altitude training. Ask the tennis players: Our Legg Mason tournament (Super 9 series or whatever) sees more fainting and nausea in best of 3's than do any of the majors in their best of 5's. I'm proud of that, too.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    snofsnof Posts: 98member
    <a href="http://www.basoc2012.com/"; target="_blank">San Francisco!</a>

(just because It's my hometown)

Edit: added link

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: Snof ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 17
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    San Francisco!

(just because It's not my hometown)
  • Reply 7 of 17
    New York! Like Alan Kalter says, its "the greatest city in the world!"
  • Reply 8 of 17
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I would say San Francisco because the last Summer Olympic Games in the US was held east of the Mississippi. San Francisco is due for a major tourism draw. The Niners also need an excuse to build a new stadium.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Off topic.

[quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

The Niners also need an excuse to build a new stadium.<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I agree. They really screwed up that last attempt. I heard some ridiculous things happened in the campaign, like some sort of a fund-raiser party that included S&M or something (don't remember the details, maybe a woman urinating on another who had paterns cut into her flesh or something). That kind of stuff will really cast a shadow over your credibility . The people in charge of the campaign were pretty corrupt and really sleezy.

You may now return to your originally scheduled topic.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Cape Town all the way. It's about time Africa had the Olympic Games.

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: Harald ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 17
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    [quote]Originally posted by Max8319:

<strong>San Francisco!

(just because It's not my hometown)</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am from SF also but its kinda losing its appeal lately. Perhaps SF should hold the homeless Olympics down on Market and 6th Street. What a lovely thought!

(if you been there, you will know what i mean)
  • Reply 12 of 17
    vargasvargas Posts: 426member
    [quote]Originally posted by eat@me:

<strong>

I am from SF also but its kinda losing its appeal lately. Perhaps SF should hold the homeless Olympics down on Market and 6th Street. What a lovely thought!

(if you been there, you will know what i mean)</strong><hr></blockquote>

San Fransisco. It would give those runners a break running down those hills.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It should be noted that the San Francisco Olympics would have venues as far north as Sacramento, as far south as San Jose, and certainly in the East Bay.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by Vargas:

<strong>

San Fransisco. It would give those runners a break running down those hills. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually they would most likely make them run up them, it's more fun that way.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    vargasvargas Posts: 426member
    [quote]Originally posted by Snof:

<strong>

Actually they would most likely make them run up them, it's more fun that way.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd prefer to take the Tram but then I'd probably be disqualified.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    digixdigix Posts: 109member
    New York City would be nice. The citizens of New York would be please to see some of the new sport centres build in their area specifically just for the upcoming Olympic event.

In 2012, these new sport centres and the newly constructed (or under construction) New World Trade Center would be a nice consolation for their recently demolished landmarks in 2001.

But since that many of the ?active? / ?sport? activities usually happened in the west coast, San Fransisco is a good city for an Olympic event. It's a much better choice for an Olympic event than New York City, Washington DC, and Houston.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I propose a giant floating island out in the NYC harbor. O yeah baby. A hundred acres of nothing good and lots and lots of people just waiting to get dunked in the nastiest water in the world.