Previous-gen Apple iPad, iPhone 3GS often outsell new Android devices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 155
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

I spent the last 12 months hearing that the only reason Andoid is doing so well is all the cheap devices. Now we hear a lot of apple sales are old, cheap devices.

Looks like that argument cant be used to justify why android OS had 50% for smartphone sales in Q1 2011, way above the iPhone.

I don't know about the 50% of smartphone sales going Android and hadn't seen any reliable source that stated that. According to Comscore, Android's share of the smartphone market increased 6% this quarter, to 34.7%. Apple remained steady at 25.5%.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/08/c...martphone-mar/

What would be interesting to know is how many of those cheap older 3GS phones were sold to customers that originally came in to buy Apple's current 4G.
  • Reply 22 of 155
    pridonpridon Posts: 81member
    Quote:

I spent the last 12 months hearing that the only reason Andoid is doing so well is all the cheap devices. Now we hear a lot of apple sales are old, cheap devices.

Looks like that argument cant be used to justify why android OS had 50% for smartphone sales in Q1 2011, way above the iPhone.

Was at the Pearl Harbor Navy Exchange yesterday. Almost all Android phones were "free". 1 Verizon iPad in stock. Lots of Zooms and a few Viewsonic tablets. Apple has fll up store within a store display which is sparte form the other PCs/Notebooks. No demo units of the Xoom or Viewsonic. iPads sell through pretty much he day they arrive.

Honolulu Ala Moana Apple store never has any iPad stock - sells the morning of arrival -though they do have service replacement units. I went to the Genius rep for an issue with my 64GB wifi model locking up. He checked it out. Then went into back and provided me with a replacement unit. In and out in 15 minutes. Store always crowded.

My biggest problem now with my iPad is geeting it away from my wife or son. At least I can get my MBP back from my wife now.
  • Reply 23 of 155
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Only a complete idiot would go for a $50 3Gs instead of a $200 iPhone 4 when the $150 they save is only a tiny fraction of the contract and you are stuck with the 3Gs for two or three years. Most who do so regret it later. The carriers know also, that a very large portion of those that bite on this particular hook will be so frustrated they will be upgrading that phone before the 2 or 3 years is up anyway.

It is not a very good contract regardless of which phone you choose. If the terms of the contract were based on the need to subsidize the phone, the monthly cost should go down once the phone is 'paid off' but it doesn't. So if the customer is happy with the features of the $50 phone and doesn't even plan to upgrade until it breaks, then they are justifying the monthly fee as the cost of a owning any smart phone and they saved $150 dollars. Just because they have different priorities doesn't make them idiots. What about the guy who pays an early termination fee every year so he can upgrade to the newest iPhone? What is his IQ?
  • Reply 24 of 155
    mugzymugzy Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguyaitec2005 View Post

I know this is a fanboy fourum, but anyway, here are some facts contradicting to your article :

http://venturebeat.com/2011/05/09/ga...-3m-preorders/

While your statistics might be slightly true with iPAD 1 since lot of people want it and there are so many of the andriod tablets, there is no way that apple sells 3 million old phones.

Just do a little research before making ridiculous claims.

I'm looking for the "facts" in your link. I can't find any.

Just a company announcement that 10 million Galaxy phones were pre-ordered worldwide.

Samsung had similar "facts" about sales of the Galaxy TAB but it turns out they shipped 2 million to retail outlets but sold "considerably less" according the WSJ. And "considerably less" was the quote from SAMSUNG.
  • Reply 25 of 155
    rasimorasimo Posts: 61member
    Quote:

I know this is a fanboy fourum, but anyway, here are some facts contradicting to your article :

While your statistics might be slightly true with iPAD 1 since lot of people want it and there are so many of the andriod tablets, there is no way that apple sells 3 million old phones.

According to NPD Group, http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_110428.html the top 5 selling phones for Q1 2011:

1) iPhone 4

2) iPhone 3GS

3) Motorola Droid X

4) HTC EVO 4G

5) HTC Droid Incredible
  • Reply 26 of 155
    bstringbstring Posts: 104member
    A comparison between a 3Gs at $49 and two hand-picked devices being sold for $199 doesn't mean much. Used 2008 Honda Accords outsell 2011 Mazda 6's. No argument.

One would think that selling older iphones real cheap would help to regain the lead, but it isn't working. Why? because there still is very little choice in the iOS phone market. I believe if apple offered 'another model or two' to its line, they would enjoy more growth to the detriment of Android, versus what we are seeing today. As it turns out, many people do prefer 4-4.3" displays and many others like physical keyboards. Apple has the means to produce three different phone models, just as they have several MacBooks and iMacs. What the problems is with that, I'm not sure.

The iPad2 is the best tablet right now, yes.
  • Reply 27 of 155
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Hmmm...

If I say something the Apple haters will call me a "Fanboy" or "iSheep".

So, let it be.
  • Reply 28 of 155
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rasimo View Post

According to NPD Group, http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_110428.html the top 5 selling phones for Q1 2011:

1) iPhone 4

2) iPhone 3GS

3) Motorola Droid X

4) HTC EVO 4G

5) HTC Droid Incredible

And sales of smartphones with 4" or larger displays are growing fastest of all. Probably a market Apple should have an entry in.

http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_110321.html
  • Reply 29 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

One would think that selling older iphones real cheap would help to regain the lead, but it isn't working. Why? because there still is very little choice in the iOS phone market. I believe if apple offered 'another model or two' to its line, they would enjoy more growth to the detriment of Android, versus what we are seeing today. As it turns out, many people do prefer 4-4.3" displays and many others like physical keyboards. Apple has the means to produce three different phone models, just as they have several MacBooks and iMacs. What the problems is with that, I'm not sure.

Couple reasons.

Volume purchasing means it's much cheaper for them to fab 10 million of Part X rather than 5mil X, 3m Y, 2m Z ... and then not sell some of each.

Fragmentation might be an issue if they differentiate too much and certain features aren't handled well by developers. Conversely, if they don't differentiate enough, people would go "what's the point?" and just buy the "iPhone Standard" as opposed to the hypothetical Jumbo, Mini, Keyboard versions.

That said, bring on the larger screen and iPad2 hardware in the iPhone 5
  • Reply 30 of 155
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shokune View Post

but if you combine total sales then the reality is bitter for apple

Yes, reality is really very bitter for Apple, raking in over half of the profits in the cell phone market with just 2 devices and outselling each and every *individual* Android handset by a huge margin

Quote:

apple is not gaining market shares.... but android is gaining market share in both low end and high end handset market.....

Wrong, Apple *is* gaining market share, just not as fast as Android. Both are eating away at RIM and Nokia. What does it matter anyway? Care to explain what's wrong with having 25% of the market? Why does Apple have to move more units than all Android manufacturers in the first place? Did it ever occur to you that a product or service can still be hugely successful, popular and high quality, even if it doesn't dominate in marketshare. In fact, let's turn that around: did it ever occur to you that in almost any market imaginable, mediocrity rules in volume and marketshare? For lots of people you can't beat 'cheap', so it's either 'shift large volume at low price' or 'sell less at higher profits'. Now go find a chart that shows how many high-end Android phones are sold for each iPhone, and repeat your observatiob that reality is bitter for Apple.

Quote:

find out what's the problem of iphones... why androids are out-selling iphone?

Just use your brain for more than a few seconds and realize that you are comparing a whole platform to just a single phone. There you have your answer...
  • Reply 31 of 155
    applecationapplecation Posts: 147member
    A friend of mine purchased the new Acer tablet. It has nice weight & size, and seemed pretty quick.

My friend is an iPhone user, but was curious about Android, wanted Flash, and the price was pretty low. It is only 16GB, but has SD expansion.

He is troubled , however, by the lack of accessories, and especially by the lack of Apps.

Since iOS was started as a tablet operating system, and converted for use as a phone OS, it was useable from day one, even with few HD apps out at the time, due to compatibility to iPhone apps. iPhone momentum meant that iPad apps (or universal apps), were available almost immediately. With Android, tablet use was clearly an afterthought.

I told him he is effectively an early adopter, and must live with the growing pains. The apps will come.

I would have to get used to the UI, but I thought it seemed like a nice product.

If it were me, however, I would have spent the money on an iPad2.

For a good product at a great price, the iPad1 has got to be the best deal out there.

His experience really shows the power of Apple's compatible product line, with many universal apps that will run on iPod, iPhone, and iPad. Nothing else out there compares.
  • Reply 32 of 155
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Simply put for those who tout Android, it's more about hating Apple than than being an Android fan. First Windows now Android are the hater's Apple killers. It's really all about Apple. And after a couple of decades of suffering insults, the "sheeple" comments, the Apple death watch clocks, Apple fans are more than willing to rub the hater's noses in it.

Childish, stupid, meaningless, non productive...yes. Fun...absolutely! And don't kid yourself, the CEOs of these companies have tremedous egos and trash talk each other on a regular basis. See past comments from Michael Dell, Steve Ballmer, Steve Jobs about each other's accomplishments and products. Ballmer and Dell have pretty much shut up recently, though, in light of Apple's rise to power.

Well said.

This new report pretty much shows Android buyers fall into two camps, 'I buy the cheapest and don't care what it is' group and the pure 'I won't buy anything from Apple' group. This bodes well for the strategy of Apple keeping products such as iPad 1s and iPhone 3GSs on the market at reduced prices. Yet another way to get people to discover how great the products are and also help those that simply can't afford the latest Apple gear. Slightly older Apple stuff is still way better than PCs, Android crap etc.
  • Reply 33 of 155
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

I spent the last 12 months hearing that the only reason Andoid is doing so well is all the cheap devices. Now we hear a lot of apple sales are old, cheap devices. ...

That information was mistaken. The only reason Android is doing well is because the carriers see it in their interest to push it by whatever means they can. Less cost to them, maintaining more control over the user experience, and not allowing any handset maker to totally dominate are all goals they hope to achieve by this, and "open" android is a carriers dream for maintaining control.
  • Reply 34 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Just use your brain for more than a few seconds and realize that you are comparing a whole platform to just a single phone. There you have your answer...

But that doesn't mean anything around here since it is a fight between Apple and Google that is the hot button issue, not one between Apple and some other single Android manufacturer.

Apple fanatics are so tired of being #2 and now they see what they thought might be their only chance to be #1 at something slipping away. They are in denial and are trying to spin it so Apple is still on top by comparing iPhone to just any single handset when actually their true desire is to beat Android since Android is spawn of the evil Google.

They should just relax and enjoy Apple quality as we have always done over the years regardless of market share. Apple is #1 in quality and apparently in profit. Nothing to worry about.
  • Reply 35 of 155
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member
    Quote:

What does this link have to do with the discussion? Where does it refute anything said in the story?
  • Reply 36 of 155
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

That's a funny reaction to a report on Apple selling more with last years model than any particular Android device. The report didn't say that Apple is selling the cheapest phone. It isn't. The 3GS retails at £450 off contract. There are android phones at £100. What the stats show is that Apple is winning the Market at the high price points it is competing in. If it competes with phones at £300 off contract, and £200 off contract it will probably win those segments too.

What's holding it back? Possibly fears of supply shortages. However it will cover all price points, except the lowest, as it does in the MP3 player Market.

I feel that cloud computing could play a part here. If most of your stuff is in the cloud you can live with smaller disk size, and low ram.
  • Reply 37 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well said.

This new report pretty much shows Android buyers fall into two camps, 'I buy the cheapest and don't care what it is' group and the pure 'I won't buy anything from Apple' group. This bodes well for the strategy of Apple keeping products such as iPad 1s and iPhone 3GSs on the market at reduced prices. Yet another way to get people to discover how great the products are and also help those that simply can't afford the latest Apple gear. Slightly older Apple stuff is still way better than PCs, Android crap etc.

I think there is another group that dismisses Apple as a novelty OS that is fine for their girl friend/wife or kids but real men use Windows and Android because it is awesome to be the master of the computer world, we are macho kick ass computer experts.
  • Reply 38 of 155
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

But that doesn't mean anything around here since it is a fight between Apple and Google that is the hot button issue, not one between Apple and some other single Android manufacturer.

Apple fanatics are so tired of being #2 and now they see what they thought might be their only chance to be #1 at something slipping away. They are in denial and are trying to spin it so Apple is still on top by comparing iPhone to just any single handset when actually their true desire is to beat Android since Android is spawn of the evil Google.

They should just relax and enjoy Apple quality as we have always done over the years regardless of market share. Apple is #1 in quality and apparently in profit. Nothing to worry about.

I would prefer to win as a , primarily , iOS developer The bigger the Market the better. I understand that some Apple fans like the snobbery of the Ghetto. In any case this report proves that Apples phones, expensive though they are, outsell even the cheapest Android. That means that if Apple expands it's line it will clean up.
  • Reply 39 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Apple fans like the snobbery of the Ghetto.

We be pissed off, not just angry! Take that you f--kin' Android bitches.
  • Reply 40 of 155
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:

Umm. iPhone 4 was #1 last quarter and 3GS was #2...both run the latest version of iOS 4 and can run 95% of the same apps. Many of these cheap Android phones can not even run 2.0 or even 10% of the same Apps...

Quote:

See above for real rankings last quarter. Samsung routinely releases misleading numbers. However, Your article doe not even name a single source.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mugzy View Post

I'm looking for the "facts" in your link. I can't find any.

Just a company announcement that 10 million Galaxy phones were pre-ordered worldwide.

Samsung had similar "facts" about sales of the Galaxy TAB but it turns out they shipped 2 million to retail outlets but sold "considerably less" according the WSJ. And "considerably less" was the quote from SAMSUNG.

I found it pretty amusing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I agree with your bottom line, but disagree that Apple is #2 apps platform. This is not the case by volume or dollars in Apps. Android has had this "lead" for over 12 months, and their developers are still earning 10% of what Apple developers are. That figure does not even include companies like Netflix, so the Android platform is far weaker then the dollars show.