Previous-gen Apple iPad, iPhone 3GS often outsell new Android devices

Comments

• Reply 41 of 155
    ranreloadedranreloaded Posts: 397member
    "Sheep" are the millions of people who use Windows and Office NOT because they like them better OR find them superior than competing products, BUT because they know nothing else and just follow the standard imposed by their environment.

It's pretty much an "If you don't use Win/Office, you can't work" world out there, a requirement imposed by most companies and swallowed by all their employees. So who's the sheep now?

Fortunately some industries are different (e.g., web design, DTP ). Better yet, I'm in
  • Reply 42 of 155
    jeffdenverjeffdenver Posts: 108member
    Quote:

my 3g works better than the prepaid android messes out there

My brother's Optimus V (low end Android phone) does every single thing a 3GS can do. It actually does more (Can use widgets, view Flash sites, live wallpapers, ect). The same can be said for most if not all low end Android phones being sold.

The Optimus V is slated to get a gingerbread upgrade as well.

Quote:

he has tried some apps many don't work for his phone

Which apps? I dont know of any apps that will not work on Android 2.2.

Quote:

and the prepaid plans with data nearly match a contract phone

Which carrier is it? My brother is with Virgin Mobile...unlimited text and data for $25 a month and no contract.

Quote:

my friend who bought one paid (don't know why) $200 android i believe 2.2 but not upgradable

Which phone was it?

Quote:

i know prepaid may work perhaps in china and europe but its the data cost that doesn't make it such a deal

Which carrier offers a better deal for data than $25 a month unlimited?

I would never buy a non-contract phone either, but there are a lot of people who would, for lots of reasons. Why would you pay $90 a month for stuff you dont need or use? If all you are doing is occasional web browsing, you probably dont need unlimited data.
  • Reply 43 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguyaitec2005 View Post

I know this is a fanboy fourum, but anyway, here are some facts contradicting to your article :

http://venturebeat.com/2011/05/09/ga...-3m-preorders/

Yeah, the Galaxy S2 is pretty sweet. That is the one I am waiting for. It should be out in the US just about the time my contract is up.

It is kinda ironic that the features that make it look like the iPhone are exactly the features I dont want. The first thing I am going to do is install a custom launcher. I hate Touchwiz. My sister bought a Fascinate and the first thing she did was install launcherPro to get rid of that stupid tacky interface.
  • Reply 44 of 155
    Quote:

Yes, reality is really very bitter for Apple, raking in over half of the profits in the cell phone market with just 2 devices and outselling each and every *individual* Android handset by a huge margin

I cant imagine why you would use the qualifier "individual".
  • Reply 45 of 155
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

My

I would never buy a non-contract phone either, but there are a lot of people who would, for lots of reasons. Why would you pay $90 a month for stuff you dont need or use? If all you are doing is occasional web browsing, you probably dont need unlimited data.

in yurup we dont get unlimited data anyway. Prepaid will be huge for Apple.
  • Reply 46 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

Yeah, the Galaxy S2 is pretty sweet. That is the one I am waiting for. It should be out in the US just about the time my contract is up.

It is kinda ironic that the features that make it look like the iPhone are exactly the features I dont want. The first thing I am going to do is install a custom launcher. I hate Touchwiz. My sister bought a Fascinate and the first thing she did was install launcherPro to get rid of that stupid tacky interface.

Good for you, but these shopping stories would be more relevant on a Android site, perhaps. They are off topic in a thread about how a two year old phone is spanking all Android machines, despite it's premium price.
  • Reply 47 of 155
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    The 3GS sells well for another reason. For those of us IPhone fans experiencing attenuation problems with the iPhone 4, the 3GS is a better phone, if not a better smartphone.
  • Reply 48 of 155
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I recently sold my 16GB iPhone 3Gs for $275 on eBay. I was surprized I got that much for it. I used to sell things on Gazelle but they don't pay enough. They only offered $120 for a 16GB iPhone 3GS, less than half the going rate of eBay.
  • Reply 49 of 155
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Spoiler Alert:

-No single android device will sell more handsets than an iPhone.

-Android as an OS will gain the lionshare of the Smartphone Market (even if you don't believe the analyst of today, and I don't blame you). This is just simple economics.

-That being said, it's highly unlikely that ANY manufacturer will ever beat Apple's profit margins on handsets. Most won't even come close, so matter what the "OS" market share looks like, Apple will always have a disproportionate control of the Profit market share.

There, in three bulletpoints, I've covered what we can take from ANY "analyst" claiming to compare Apple to Android at any monetary level.

Think about it. iOS only has TWO models when it comes to phones, and they target two very different mindsets with consumers. (tech specs are meaningless to most customers with a $150 price difference) People either want a "Great" phone (iphone4) or "Something Free, or close to it" (3gs)

In EITHER category, that single phone will go up against multiple devices that have android for a similar price point. So if someone wants a awesome new iOS device, they choose the iPhone4.

If they want Android? Then it gets more complicated. Let's say they're a Verizon customer looking at a high end smartphone, their choices are the following (I might miss some, it's been awhile since I checked)

-iPhone4

-Thunderbolt

-Droid Incredible 2

-Samsung Fascinate

-Droid X

-Droid 2 Global

-Droid Pro

These phones might not all have the SAME cost to the customer, but they're similar. But do you see the problem? If the customer wants an android device, they STILL have to make a choice from a minimum of five selections. So even if 75% of high end customers chose Android over iOS it's still unlikely that any Android phone by itself will outsell the iphone4, and I doubt the % is anywhere near that high.

This is without factoring in things like usability, marketing, or what company reps may push (they'll prefer Android, since it makes them a LOT more money).

Comparing the two operating systems, or one phone against the other is pointless. They are two totally different models, and ANY comparison between the two when it comes to "Marketshare" will be wrong because it is impossible to take the whole thing into account.
  • Reply 50 of 155
    Obviously we can compare Market share regardless of what biases we think consumers bring to the Market. In any case the idea that Apple can't compete with Android because there are more models is fallacious. Nokia used to dominate. What is needed are more models.
  • Reply 51 of 155
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Obviously we can compare Market share regardless of what biases we think consumers bring to the Market. In any case the idea that Apple can't compete with Android because there are more models is fallacious. Nokia used to dominate. What is needed are more models.

You missed the point of the post entirely. I'd give you a gold star, but Anonymouse already took all of them.

If someone chooses iOS they have a SINGLE DEVICE to get. (again, the $199 customer isn't the same thing as the $50 customer, no matter the OS). If the customer chooses android they have MULTIPLE devices at the same/similar (~$50 difference), so it's highly unlikely that ANY single android device will sell more units than the Iphone4 for the simple fact that ever Charge sold is one less thunderbolt sold JUST AS MUCH as it is one less Iphone4 sold.
  • Reply 52 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

You missed the point of the post entirely. I'd give you a gold star, but Anonymouse already took all of them.

If someone chooses iOS they have a SINGLE DEVICE to get. (again, the $199 customer isn't the same thing as the $50 customer, no matter the OS). If the customer chooses android they have MULTIPLE devices at the same/similar (~$50 difference), so it's highly unlikely that ANY single android device will sell more units than the Iphone4 for the simple fact that ever Charge sold is one less thunderbolt sold JUST AS MUCH as it is one less Iphone4 sold.

No idea what that meant. My best bet is this: you seem to think because there are lots of different androids we can't compare market share. But we can.

Also Apple dont have to stick to 2 models.
  • Reply 53 of 155
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

I spent the last 12 months hearing that the only reason Andoid is doing so well is all the cheap devices. Now we hear a lot of apple sales are old, cheap devices.

Looks like that argument cant be used to justify why android OS had 50% for smartphone sales in Q1 2011, way above the iPhone.

I don't know about the 50% of smartphone sales going Android and hadn't seen any reliable source that stated that. According to Comscore, Android's share of the smartphone market increased 6% this quarter, to 34.7%. Apple remained steady at 25.5%.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/08/c...martphone-mar/

What would be interesting to know is how many of those cheap older 3GS phones were sold to customers that originally came in to buy Apple's current 4G.

Try this

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2011/r2011051.html

"Android remained the leading smart phone platform in the US for the third consecutive quarter, with a 49% share."

As I said, Android had 50% (a rounded 49%) of the Q1 sales. There is a difference between period sales figures and total market share. But don't let reason get in the way of a good attempt to make things all rosy for apple.
  • Reply 54 of 155
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well said.

This new report pretty much shows Android buyers fall into two camps, 'I buy the cheapest and don't care what it is' group and the pure 'I won't buy anything from Apple' group. . .

That's not the case however. The most popular Android smartphones are priced similarly to Apple's iPhone4 at both Verizon and AT&T. Buyers are getting many of the new Android phones for features and "wow factor" as much or more than price. The screen size and display alone sell many of them. Side by side with an iPhone a lot of them do look pretty darn good in comparison, and that's all many buyers care about at that moment.
  • Reply 55 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

No idea what that meant. My best bet is this: you seem to think because there are lots of different androids we can't compare market share. But we can.

Also Apple dont have to stick to 2 models.

Are you comparing marketshare of an OS to a device? Pick any iOS-based smartphone that came out in 2010 and pick any Android-based smartphone that came out in 2010. Which one sold more? Was the Android-based smartphone you choose able to sell out continuously? Did its sales increase each quarter? Is it even still selling more than a half a year after it was released or did the vendor leave if for dead because it wasn’t selling and they had some slightly different Android-based smartphone to push? When did the HW vendor offer it an update?
  • Reply 56 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That's not the case however. The most popular Android smartphones are priced similarly to Apple's iPhone4 at both Verizon and AT&T. Buyers are getting many of the new Android phones for features and "wow factor" as much or more than price. The screen size and display alone sell many of them. Side by side with an iPhone a lot of them do look pretty darn good in comparison, and that's all many buyers care about at that moment.

The most popular phones are not as popular as Apples 2 year old model.

Obviously I think Apple need to compete with bigger screens and more variety. The illusion of choice is still choice. Between them Apple and Android are 80% of the market in the US. That's doom for everybody else.
  • Reply 57 of 155
    Slow news day?
  • Reply 58 of 155
    scafe2scafe2 Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Simply put for those who tout Android, it's more about hating Apple than than being an Android fan. First Windows now Android are the hater's Apple killers. It's really all about Apple. And after a couple of decades of suffering insults, the "sheeple" comments, the Apple death watch clocks, Apple fans are more than willing to rub the hater's noses in it.

Childish, stupid, meaningless, non productive...yes. Fun...absolutely! And don't kid yourself, the CEOs of these companies have tremedous egos and trash talk each other on a regular basis. See past comments from Michael Dell, Steve Ballmer, Steve Jobs about each other's accomplishments and products. Ballmer and Dell have pretty much shut up recently, though, in light of Apple's rise to power.

Nice post i fully agree with you ,..
  • Reply 59 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are you comparing marketshare of an OS to a device again? Pick any iOS-based smartphone that came out in 2010 and pick any Android-based smartphone that came out in 2010. Which one sold more? Was the Android-based smartphone you choose able to sell out continuously? Did its sales increase each quarter? Is it even still selling more than a half a year after it was released or did the vendor leave if for dead because it wasn?t selling and they had some slightly different Android-based smartphone to push? When did the HW vendor offer it an update?

I don't care. Those are excuses. It is valid to include all iOS vs Android. The rest of your liturgy is some wank about how Apple does better per device: I know that and therefore I conclude they would do even better with more models, both cheaper models and possibly a high end with bigger screens. If they are at 31% with two devices on two carriers they can take majority phone marketshare in the US. Let's not make pre-emotive excuses.
  • Reply 60 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The most popular phones are not as popular as Apples 2 year old model.

Obviously I think Apple need to compete with bigger screens and more variety.

If even their old kit is popular, they can barely keep ahead of their current supply chain, and they make over 50% of the world?s handset profits then I don?t think they need to any such thing to compete.

I?d like them to make a larger iOS-based device, but that isn?t the same as me thinking they need to make one.