Previous-gen Apple iPad, iPhone 3GS often outsell new Android devices

Comments

• Reply 81 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

But apple aren't interested in marketshare or the "race to the bottom" (or so I'm told).

Are we now saying the low end of the Market matters?

The flip flopping by cheerleaders is amazing.

Apple isn?t interested in increased marketshare at the expense of increase profits. That hasn?t changed, nor will it.
  • Reply 82 of 155
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Only a complete idiot would go for a $50 3Gs instead of a $200 iPhone 4 when the $150 they save is only a tiny fraction of the contract and you are stuck with the 3Gs for two or three years. Most who do so regret it later.

What the hell are you talking about? Now, I personally fall in to the early adopter group, but there is nothing "idiotic" about someone saving $150 by buying a 3GS versus iPhone 4 if they are happy with the older model. The absolute cost of the contract over time is irrelevant because it is the same whether they go for a 3GS, iPhone 4, Blackberry, etc.

This is akin to the argument I always hear about why buying unsubsidized phones is somehow a better deal because the "real cost" of a subsidized phone (phone+contract) is far higher than the cost of the unsubsidized phone alone. But if you are going to be spending $x /month on a voice+data plan ANYWAYS, then you are actually spending more money! It would be different if the carriers actually discounted the service plans if you choose not to receive a phone subsidy, but they DON'T! (at least not in the USA).

(this is of course ignoring those who choose a pre-paid service plan and don't use much voice/data in a given month).
  • Reply 83 of 155
    therobintherobin Posts: 11member
    I can't believe how well the iPhone holds it's value used. Just sold my nearly 3 year old 3G 8GB model for $150 on Craigslist in 10 minutes. Had to turn a dozen other people away in the 30 minutes the ad way live! I'd like to see any other smartphone come close to that...
  • Reply 84 of 155
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    If someone is going to compare Android market share to iPhone market share, wouldn't it be far more telling to just compare it to total iOS market share instead?

Do we have those numbers?
  • Reply 85 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

What the hell are you talking about? Now, I personally fall in to the early adopter group, but there is nothing "idiotic" about someone saving $150 by buying a 3GS versus iPhone 4 if they are happy with the older model. The absolute cost of the contract over time is irrelevant because it is the same whether they go for a 3GS, iPhone 4, Blackberry, etc.

I think he was just saying that the $150 is nearing "rounding error" territory when you consider the overall total cost. It's maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but it seems pretty close to being true at this point (at least considering the differences between the 4 and the 3Gs).
  • Reply 86 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I think he was just saying that the $150 is nearing "rounding error" territory when you consider the overall total cost. It's maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but it seems pretty close to being true at this point (at least considering the differences between the 4 and the 3Gs).

$150 over 24 months is $6.25 per month for the iPhone 4 over the 3GS which yields you the faster A4 processor with more CPU features, 2x the RAM, longer battery life, thinner design, faster cellular radios, and an IPS panel with 4x as many pixels. Considering how much I use my iPhone I think a 20¢ per day premium for a much better device is worth it. To be fair, I do buy each new version but 40¢ per day premium over the old kit is still worth it.
  • Reply 87 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

$150 over 24 months is $6.25 per month for the iPhone 4 over the 3GS which yields you the faster A4 processor with more CPU features, 2x the RAM, longer battery life, thinner design, faster cellular radios, and an IPS panel with 4x as many pixels. Considering how much I use my iPhone I think a 20¢ per day premium for a much better device is worth it. To be fair, I do buy each new version but 40¢ per day premium over the old kit is still worth it.

Yeah, when put that way, it really shows. And I say this as an owner of a 3GS. I just decided to skip the 4 at the time, and wait for the 5. I have somewhat mixed feelings about that decision now, but no real regret.

But yeah, $6.25/month isn't much of a premium. Especially for that display. God, that's beautiful.
  • Reply 88 of 155
    jeffdenverjeffdenver Posts: 108member
    Quote:

English is not my first language, but I'm pretty sure you already figured out I meant there is no single Android handset model that sells more units than the iPhone 4.

Ah, so you are saying that you need to compare handsets, since it is obvious that Android outsells iOS as a smartphone platform. Got it.
  • Reply 89 of 155
    Quote:

They are off topic in a thread about how a two year old phone is spanking all Android machines

Why does Android have a higher smartphone marketshare if they are being spanked by Apple smartphones? Shouldnt Apple be leading in smartphone marketshare...especially considering that they had a massive head start?

Just sayin.
  • Reply 90 of 155
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    For years when Apple was struggling, detractors used the familiar "Apple Tax" mime as a reason to go PC rather than Mac. This, despite study after study showing that the true cost over time of owning a Mac was less than that of a PC, both at home and in businesses. Part of that equation was that Macs last longer, need less support, and have a higher resale value. Once again we see the value of the longevity of Apple's newest products playing out. This remains true even though Apple's smart phones and tablets are no longer more expensive than most of its competitors. Why anyone would saddle themselves with a Xoom now only to have to give it up for scrap in two years is beyond me.
  • Reply 91 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

Why does Android have a higher smartphone marketshare if they are being spanked by Apple smartphones? Shouldnt Apple be leading in smartphone marketshare...especially considering that they had a massive head start?

Just sayin.

1) Marketshare isn’t installed base so a head start means little, but it you really want to know who first when public check out Google’s history of Android. First doesn’t usually mean the most successful.

2) Android doesn’t have a higher smartphone marketshare because Android isn’t a smartphone. Android is a smartphone OS and its marketshare should exceed Apple’s iPhone smartphone marketshare based solely on the different market focuses between Google free OS and Apple’s iPhone device.
  • Reply 92 of 155
    Quote:

Just sayin.

Because every handset maker on the planet has 15 models of Android OS phones. The fact that Apple is running neck and neck with Google who is giving away their work for free is amazing to me.

As far as a head start? There is a disadvantage to that because it saved Google having to figure out what a modern smartphone and OS should look like. They just reverse engineered iPhone and gave it away.
  • Reply 93 of 155
    Quote:

Android doesn?t have a higher smartphone marketshare because Android isn?t a smartphone. Android is a smartphone OS

In Apple's case the phone and OS are one in the same. People are not buying the iPhone because of the hardware, but because of the OS. It is common sense to most people that when you talk about Android vs iPhone you are talking about a comparison of platforms, not phones.

Using your logic it is impossible to say that the iPhone is outselling Android, because Android isnt a phone...right?
  • Reply 94 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

As far as a head start? There is a disadvantage to that because it saved Google having to figure out what a modern smartphone and OS should look like. They just reverse engineered iPhone and gave it away.

It?s funny how we don?t here about tablet makers? 3 decade head start when it comes to the iPad?s success. It?s almost like they were doing it wrong? much like Google was doing it wrong with Android before the iPhone showed up in 2007.
  • Reply 95 of 155
    Quote:

Ah, so you are saying that you need to compare handsets, since it is obvious that Android outsells iOS as a smartphone platform. Got it.

No, Android doesn't "outsell" iOS because Android is given away.
  • Reply 96 of 155
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shokune View Post

Android manufacturers doesn't rely on single products. they release couple of products and expects return from each.

where apple release 1 phone a year, and expect return from 2 phones (current one, and the immediate previous one)....but if you combine total sales then the reality is bitter for apple

apple is not gaining market shares.... but android is gaining market share in both low end and high end handset market.....

The reality for Apple is NOT bitter. Apple, as a phone manufacturer, sold 18 million phones last quarter.

How many did Samsung sell? They have tons of different phones... they must have outsold Apple, right? Nope... 10 million.

Sure... there are more phones running Android... if you combine them all. But Samsung doesn't combine their numbers with HTC's numbers when they talk about sales.

So you shouldn't lump every Android phone together and think that Apple is in trouble.

Remember... manufacturers sell phones... and right now Apple is beating them all.
  • Reply 97 of 155
    Quote:

No, Android doesn't "outsell" iOS

Phones with the Android OS do not outsell iOS phones? Are you sure about that?
  • Reply 98 of 155
    Quote:

In Apple's case the phone and OS are one in the same. People are not buying the iPhone because of the hardware, but because of the OS. It is common sense to most people that when you talk about Android vs iPhone you are talking about a comparison of platforms, not phones.

Using your logic it is impossible to say that the iPhone is outselling Android, because Android isnt a phone...right?

I won't speak for anyone else, but I would answer that "Yes, it is incorrect to say that iPhone (a phone) is outselling Android (a platform)."

As to your first point, I have to disagree. If iOS and the iPhone were one and the same, then why do I have the very same iOS on my iPad (not a phone) and my friend has the very same iOS on his iPod Touch (also not a phone)?

Also, people have bought the iPhone because they liked the way it looked (hardware). The Retina Display on the iPhone4 was one of the biggest selling points (hardware). Etc.
  • Reply 99 of 155
    Quote:

1) Learn how to use the quote function on this site.

2) The iPhone and iOS are not ?one in[sic] the same.? They are sold as a unit, but the HW is not the OS is not the HW. If you can?t understand how iOS 4.0 doesn?t make an iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 then you are just trolling because I can?t believe anyone could be that stupid.

3) People do buy the iPhone for the HW. The Retina Display is absolutely brilliant. If they weren?t buying it for the HW then there would never have been any lawsuits or issue with the HW. Can you think of something last year that involved the HW design of the iPhone 4 that was a popular media issue? I can.

4) No, the average doesn?t compare OS platforms to each other, they will compare the HW. This is the most tangible aspect of the device and what Nokia was relying on far too often which has put them into their current position. This does not mean Apple doesn?t work to make their code as effective as possible for the HW, but Apple is a HW company and people compare HW, not lines of code.
  • Reply 100 of 155
    Quote:

Your opening statement is correct, but your conclusion based on that is incorrect. The old software versus hardware argument goes way back to Windows versus Mac. Is Apple a hardware company or a software company? It's both. Microsoft was a software company that basically created the bifurcation model of software versus hardware that defines the PC experience. People buy Apple products because the software and hardware are designed as one. Fewer problems, fewer conflicts, greater reliability, more ease of use.