Previous-gen Apple iPad, iPhone 3GS often outsell new Android devices

Comments

• Reply 101 of 155
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

Phones with the Android OS do not outsell iOS phones? Are you sure about that?

That's not what I said. I said that the Android OS qua OS is given away, not sold. The platforms that can run it are sold.
  • Reply 102 of 155
    jeffdenverjeffdenver Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Me: Phones with the Android OS do not outsell iOS phones? Are you sure about that?

That's not what I said.

Oh good, I am glad we agree that Android OS phones are outselling iOS phones. I must have misunderstood you.

Quote:

Is Apple a hardware company or a software company? It's both. Microsoft was a software company that basically created the bifurcation model of software versus hardware that defines the PC experience.

I agree. But when people compare Mac to PC they are not comparing hardware. They are not comparing "Dell" to Apple. They are comparing the Platforms in general, which means mostly the OS.

Quote:

People buy Apple products because the software and hardware are designed as one

Not always. Apple can and does use the same hardware as it's competitors. Withness their abandonment of the PowerPC architecture in favor of Intel.

The hardware changes, but the OS is the same.
  • Reply 103 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Not always. Apple can and does use the same hardware as it's competitors. Withness their abandonment of the PowerPC architecture in favor of Intel.

The hardware changes, but the OS is the same.

WTF! A CPU does not make a device.

You really think Macs are exactly the same as any HP or Dell PC because they use Intel CPUs? I hate to break it to you but Apple licenses ARM just like every other vendor.

They also use RAM which seems to be common among computing devices. How fucking crazy is that. I guess the iPhone is just like all other smartphones.
  • Reply 104 of 155
    Quote:

1) Learn how to use the quote function on this site.

I am using the quote function. It is the icon in the editor. It is how I get that box around your text.

Quote:

People do buy the iPhone for the HW. The Retina Display is absolutely brilliant.

I disagree. I know lots of iPhone users, and not one of them bought their iPhone because of the display.

Quote:

No, the average doesn’t compare OS platforms to each other, they will compare the HW.

That has not been my experience. Most of the people I know who have switched away from Apple did so because of the limitations of the OS or Apple policy. I dont know anyone who has switched from Apple because they thought the hardware was lacking.
  • Reply 105 of 155
    Quote:

You really think Macs are exactly the same as any HP or Dell PC because they use Intel CPUs?

It certainly makes them similar. Do you consider the CPU to be an important part of computer hardware?
  • Reply 106 of 155
    Quote:

I am using the quote function. It is the icon in the editor. It is how I get that box around your text.

You?re coping and pasting from the forum instead of using the reply button. You see how everyone else?s posts lists the person who made the quote and has a link back to the original quote so readers can follow the thread?
  • Reply 107 of 155
    Quote:

You?re coping and pasting from the forum instead of using the reply button

Why is the quote button in the editor if we are not supposed to use it?
  • Reply 108 of 155
    Quote:

It certainly makes them similar. Do you consider the CPU to be an important part of computer hardware?

Important, but not so important that it in and of itself makes it the the same as any other device with a CPU. That?s just fucking stupid!

Do you consider DNA to be an important part of existance? Do you consider a fern to be the same as human being simply because they both contain DNA?
  • Reply 109 of 155
    Quote:

Why is the quote button in the editor if we are not supposed to use it?

1) There is more things to quote in the world than are contained in this forum.

2) You can you seriously not see how your quotes differ from everyone else?s or how they dislodge the thread from it?s readability because you choose not to name who you are quoting?

3) Why I?m replying to a fucking troll?
  • Reply 110 of 155
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    The Windows-Mac pissing contest was easy to measure. This smartphone space has so many metrics that one day iOS is in the lead and the next day it's a mere percentage of Android dominance.

I'd say this much - there seem to more iPhones in the wild than Android phones. And, without question, iPads seem to be the only tablet sin the wild
  • Reply 111 of 155
    Quote:

Why I?m replying to a fucking troll?

You tell me. You are the one replying.

I'll make you a deal though...I will learn to use the quote function better if you can learn to express your thoughts without resorting to profanity and petty insults. How about that?
  • Reply 112 of 155
    Quote:

I'd say this much - there seem to more iPhones in the wild than Android phones.

That has not been my experience. Most people I know with smartphones have an Android phone.

Nielsen seems to agree:

Quote:

Which brings us to the installed base of smartphone consumers: As of March 2011, 37 percent of mobile consumers who owned a smartphone had a device with an Android OS. Apple?s iOS, claimed by 27 percent of consumers, is now outpacing Blackberry, which has 22 percent of the market.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...e-most-wanted/

Thats installed base, not new buyers. So even from an Installed Base standpoint, there are more Android OS phones than iOS phones. If those figures are accurate, Android has a significant lead.
  • Reply 113 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I'd say this much - there seem to more iPhones in the wild than Android phones. And, without question, iPads seem to be the only tablet sin the wild

Ive seen a Motorola Xoom in the wild. Surprised I haven?t? seen more or them and other non-iPad tablets. The iPad looks to be creating a natural monopoly much like it did with the iPod but I?d still expect to see more people making bad purchase decisions with incomplete product offerings for what they think is a good deal.

I?ve seen some really cheap pre-Honeycomb Android-based tablets in stores but never in the wild. Maybe people wised up after the iPod or maybe the prevalence of the Apple Store and/or Apple?s dominant mindshare has made more people realize it?s not worth bothering with an inferior device that you can?t test before buying.
  • Reply 114 of 155
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

And, without question, iPads seem to be the only tablet sin the wild

I did get a few hours with a NookColor yesterday afternoon and I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it worked as an e-reader AND as a tablet for someone without the need for tens-of-thousands of apps, or things like photo-editing or word processing. My daughter bought one for her mother-in-law. . . and one for her mother, a.k.a. my wife.

The latest application update added more than I realized. For someone that only wants/needs to do some web-browsing, email and book or magazine reading, it's a very good alternative to the iPad IMO and at a very fair price for what it does.
  • Reply 115 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I did get a few hours with a NookColor yesterday afternoon and I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it worked as an e-reader AND as a tablet for someone without the need for tens-of-thousands of apps, or things like photo-editing or word processing. My daughter bought one for her mother-in-law. . . and one for her mother, a.k.a. my wife.

The latest application update added more than I realized. For someone that only wants/needs to do some web-browsing, email and book or magazine reading, it's a very good alternative to the iPad IMO and at a very fair price for what it does.

The Nook Color makes for a good eReader but I?d say that once you use an iPad its viability as an internet tablet feels exceedingly compromised and unusable. It?s the HW that is lacking, like many Android-based devices only much worse, not the actual browser.

PS: It?s funny how a year ago the iPad wasn?t a real tablet and had no viable utility but now even eReaders that are given the WebKit browsers are considered bona fide tablets by Android fans.
  • Reply 116 of 155
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The Nook Color makes for a good eReader but I?d say that once you use an iPad its viability as an internet tablet feels exceedingly compromised and unusable. It?s the HW that is lacking, like many Android-based devices only much worse, not the actual browser.

PS: It?s funny how a year ago the iPad wasn?t a real tablet and had no viable utility but now even eReaders that are given the WebKit browsers are considered bona fide tablets by Android fans.

Both Ford Fiestas and BMW 328i's will get you from work to home. You do look classier in the BMW tho, and the audio is better.

So yes, once the Nook added a web browser and some basic apps it does serve some of the needs of those that might have been looking for an iPad or Zoom-type tablet.

Whether the Nook is really a tablet might be debatable. But if it works for the intended use I suppose it really doesn't matter to the end-user does it?
  • Reply 117 of 155
    Quote:

Ive seen a Motorola Xoom in the wild.

I have to admit, I have not. Although I only know one guy with an iPad as well. I know lots of people with smartphones, and almost none that have tablets.
  • Reply 118 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Both Ford Fiestas and BMW 328i's will get you from work to home

The Nook can?t even do a residential road speed, much less highway speeds. it?s a kickstart moped that doesn?t require a license to drive and and is forced to stay in the bike line when traveling on the road with the big boys. The Motorola Xoom is more akin to the Ford, poorly designed and cheaply constructed but it cans still do highway speeds even though it?s eating the dust of millions of iPad 2s.
  • Reply 119 of 155
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... 2) You can you seriously not see how your quotes differ from everyone else’s or how they dislodge the thread from it’s readability because you choose not to name who you are quoting? ...

JeffDenver knows exactly what he's doing. He's using the generic reply + quote functions rather than the individual message reply function, even though it's more effort and more awkward to do so, because he's just another dishonest fandroid troll who wants to quote people out of context but make it difficult for people to see just how disingenuous he's being.
  • Reply 120 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

JeffDenver knows exactly what he's doing. He's using the generic reply + quote functions rather than the individual message reply function, even though it's more effort and more awkward to do so, because he's just another dishonest fandroid troll who wants to quote people out of context but make it difficult for people to see just how disingenuous he's being.

I gave the benefit of the doubt when I queried and pointed out how it makes conversations harder to read, but his continued rigmarole is evidence of my original doubt. I?ve ignored him so all is good now.