Amazon Cloud adds support for Apple's iOS; UK Queen orders an iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Bullocks should they! In the United States, we as Natural Born Citizens are Sovereigns! Defend our birthrights!

Campaign for Liberty, FTW: http://campaignforliberty.com

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Methinks the time has come for Apple to apply for a Royal Warrant.

http://classic-web.archive.org/web/2...ssociation.asp

• Reply 42 of 83
    Titles of Nobility are null and void in the United States -- we fought a revolution for a reason.

"No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person

holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of

the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind

whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State.

Section 10

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters

of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but

gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder,

ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any

Title of Nobility

"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Steve might get that knighthood yet.

• Reply 43 of 83
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Although US corporations rarely bring their foreign profits home (because of, you guessed it, higher US corporate tax rates), but that's another topic.......

Google UK (based on Buckingham Palace Road in London -- so just next door to the Queen!) don't even pay their taxes in the UK. A handy loophole means they pay corporation tax in Ireland (at 8%, I think).

Cheers Google. That's why I never click on any of your sodding ads.
  • Reply 44 of 83
    Sodding taxes, you mean -- just legalized theft is all it is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

Google UK (based on Buckingham Palace Road in London -- so just next door to the Queen!) don't even pay their taxes in the UK. A handy loophole means they pay corporation tax in Ireland (at 8%, I think).

• Reply 45 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Sodding taxes, you mean -- just legalized theft is all it is.

Well, that's true. But I can't get out of paying taxes, so I'm bitter!
  • Reply 46 of 83
    Back on topic a bit...

I totally understand where the Queen is coming from. My Mother-in-Law (a tad younger than the Queen) decided she wants an iPad after seeing my son (just over 2) happily navigating our 1st gen iPad to read his books, play games, and watch videos. She's also quite keen on keeping up with photos, and have a go at that 'Face Phone thingy' -- I'm guessing she means FaceTime!

Now, bear in mind that this is a person who has never had a computer, and (to my knowledge) never used one (amazing, I know). She's not had a mobile either. But, she's going to give an iPad a go. Okay, maybe the iPad isn't magical, but it's pretty damn close!
  • Reply 47 of 83
    joindupjoindup Posts: 80member
    Appleinsider - please please please PLEASE stop mixing multiple stories into one article. Looking for comments on the Amazon news inside all the chatter about The Queen is MADDENING! STOP IT!!! It makes the comments confused and pointless.
  • Reply 48 of 83
    bmoviebmovie Posts: 88member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Motorola, makes Android devices and is also an American company, but we really don't know how much tax Apple pays on the international sale of a device since they undoubtedly have accounts in foreign banks and only when the profits are returned to the US do they pay tax. I'm not an accountant but it is certainly not as cut and dried as you say.

Motorola is an American multi-national.

Google is also an American multi-national.

However, Google does not charge a single penny for Android, all its flavors, or Honeycomb. What Google gives away, is not taxed. No tax, no US revenue.

When Motorola, Samsung, Sony, Asus, Lenovo, Amazon, etc. makes a tablet, it's running a non-revenue producing OS that does not benefit the US government or its citizens. It also does not provide US jobs. In the meantime, Google tracks our advertising trends, as if Americans without jobs were to support the rest of the world.

Without sounding like a Tea Party candidate, Google is kinda Un-American! So thank you Queen Mother and screw you Google and the Android you rode in on!
  • Reply 49 of 83
    mark wmark w Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

I know few give a crap (perhaps justifyable so), and at the risk of being picayune, I should point out that Queen Elizabeth II isn't only the queen of the UK. Her actual title is Queen of the Commonwealth realms, since she is also the queen of sixteen sovereign independent states.

I think iPads are generally quite popular with the elderly, once they are given the chance to actually use one.

At the risk of also being picayune, that isn't her title

Her title in the UK (where she resides) is "Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of Her other Realms and Territories, Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith".

In other countries she has similar titles (you can normally replace "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" with the country name and drop "Defender of the Faith"), but in none is she "Queen of the Commonwealth realms".
  • Reply 50 of 83
    "We are not amused!"

(oh, wait... we ARE. Never mind.)
  • Reply 51 of 83
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmovie View Post

However, Google does not charge a single penny for Android, all its flavors, or Honeycomb. What Google gives away, is not taxed. No tax, no US revenue.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1097515

Nearly all these multi-national corporations are ultra-aggressive with tax avoidance. Apple is no exception.
  • Reply 52 of 83
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

She's used to wearing a damn heavy crown though

HAHA! Nice.
  • Reply 53 of 83
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:

Oh, yes. Ireland which was the wonderful, doing-everything-Wall-Street-wanted, until everything collapsed on their heads. Whereas Iceland, which had much more debt, has recovered by devaluing their currency and sending the bankers responsible to jail.

Remind me to laugh when people start saying the United States should act like Ireland with low corporate taxes and lax regulations. We will end up the same way if we're not smart.

Quote:

Section 10

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation;

(from another poster)

Well, right there -- how did the Confederacy not violate that clause?
  • Reply 54 of 83
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Methinks the time has come for Apple to apply for a Royal Warrant.

http://classic-web.archive.org/web/2...ssociation.asp

Americans can't hold titles, but can our products get royal warrants? It's kinda like a title for a thing, isn't it? Sir iPad of Cupertino. Sir Gallapad?
  • Reply 55 of 83
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

(from another poster)

Well, right there -- how did the Confederacy not violate that clause?

They did, and it didn't turn out well for them.
  • Reply 56 of 83
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    Quote:

Motorola is an American multi-national.

Google is also an American multi-national.

When Motorola, Samsung, Sony, Asus, Lenovo, Amazon, etc. makes a tablet, it's running a non-revenue producing OS that does not benefit the US government or its citizens. It also does not provide US jobs. In the meantime, Google tracks our advertising trends, as if Americans without jobs were to support the rest of the world.

Without sounding like a Tea Party candidate, Google is kinda Un-American! So thank you Queen Mother and screw you Google and the Android you rode in on!

Actually Google is among the list of companies that is currently lobbying for a tax holiday for the repatriation of foreign held profits. Here is a really good article on the subject: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...1064108107.htm
  • Reply 57 of 83
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Titles of Nobility are null and void in the United States -- we fought a revolution for a reason.

"No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person

holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of

the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind

whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State.

Section 10

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters

of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but

gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder,

ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any

Title of Nobility

"

Oh, get a grip (and a sense of humor, if you can).

He just won't use the title 'Sir', that's all.
  • Reply 58 of 83
    lorrainelorraine Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

It's kind of sad that people complain about how heavy the iPad is, and a woman of 85 finds it lightweight.

I will be 82 yrs in July. I don't find the IPad heavy either.

We worked for a living, well I did and I know Her Majesty is a very active woman with dogs and horses, and still works as Queen of England and the Commonwealth.

I'm sure she worries about her family like any other mother, grandmother or great grandmother would.

She also has the Commonwealth to deal with. It isn't an easy job to be Queen.

I saw her just after she became Queen with Prince Philip. I was about 20 ft. away from her as she rode by in an open convertible, in Montreal. She was such a beautiful young woman.

She looked so tiny. I saw her father and mother on their visit to Canada in 1939. King George V1 and Queen Elizabeth. {before her death, known as Queen Mother}

"CANADA" is a country that belongs to the "Commonwealth." I was born in Montreal, QC.,

Canada. My parents were born in England.

-Lorraine
  • Reply 59 of 83
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post

I will be 82 yrs in July. I don't find the IPad heavy either.

We worked for a living, well I did and I know Her Majesty is a very active woman with dogs and horses, and still works as Queen of England and the Commonwealth.

I'm sure she worries about her family like any other mother, grandmother or great grandmother would.

She also has the Commonwealth to deal with. It isn't an easy job to be Queen.

I saw her just after she became Queen with Prince Philip. I was about 20 ft. away from her as she rode by in an open convertible, in Montreal. She was such a beautiful young woman.

She looked so tiny. I saw her father and mother on their visit to Canada in 1939. King George V1 and Queen Elizabeth. {before her death, known as Queen Mother}

"CANADA" is a country that belongs to the "Commonwealth." I was born in Montreal, QC.,

Canada. My parents were born in England.

-Lorraine

Welcome to the boards!

You have three more years after which, according to the detractors, you might find the iPad a tad heavy. (Somehow, I don't think you will). :-)
  • Reply 60 of 83
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Humor a Yank a moment, will you?

When the non-American world buys an Apple iPad, Apple pays US taxes and therefore supports the US.

Actually I believe if you dig deeper into your research you will find that Apple only pays US taxes on those things sold on US soil. Products sold outside the US are taxed in accordance to the laws for the particular place.

So in fact, assuming the Queen is not VAT exempt, the taxes on her ipad will go to the UK for things such as your 'free' health care. AND Apple, as a non UK company, may have had to pay an import fee/tax just for the privilege of selling their products in the country.