a better iMac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
<a href="http://commerce.www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=2276963&cntrfnbr=1&cgmenbr =1&cntry=840&lang=en_US" target="_blank">http://commerce.www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=2276963&cntrfnbr=1&cgmenbr =1&cntry=840&lang=en_US</a>

I hate to say it, but the iMac2 is not "way beyond the rumor sites", and certainly doesn't blow away any PC out there. It's not even an orignal idea.

Click on the link above and look at the IBM vesion of the "Luxo lamp".

It has a 1.8 GHz CPU, a WIRELESS keyboard/mouse, and even has a 17" monitor! It looks pretty cool in black. I personally wont by it, nor a iMac, but if I was looking for a consumer flat, all-in-one computer, I would perhaps go with the NetVista, it costs only 1,549.00 , and you can run BSD Unix, Linux, or Windows!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    This iMac is truly anither great value in the Apple line-up. A superdrive equiped G4 with an 800 Mhz processor and a 15 inch flat panel a year ago costed $4,500 (and it was a 733 a year ago).

WHAT AN INCREDIBLE VALUE!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    the reason they didn't make it like the ibm machine was steve said the superdrive can't operate at full speeds when its on its side and to me it looks like the ibm does that.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    ...and the iMac runs at the speed that PC's ran 2 years ago!

Time to visit that dumpy computer store down the street and build a PC. I never thought I would do it, but I ned to grin and bare it. a AMD box will be on my desktop by next week. Maybe running XP, but maybe just Linux...

These are dark days. Dark days indeed.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    origi
  • Reply 5 of 10
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by dstranathan:

<strong><a href="http://commerce.www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=2276963&cntrfnbr=1&cgmenbr =1&cntry=840&lang=en_US" target="_blank">http://comm erce.www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=2276963&cntrfnbr=1&cgmenbr =1&cntry=840&lang=en_US</a>

I hate to say it, but the iMac2 is not "way beyond the rumor sites", and certainly doesn't blow away any PC out there. It's not even an orignal idea.

Click on the link above and look at the IBM vesion of the "Luxo lamp".

It has a 1.8 GHz CPU, a WIRELESS keyboard/mouse, and even has a 17" monitor! It looks pretty cool in black. I personally wont by it, nor a iMac, but if I was looking for a consumer flat, all-in-one computer, I would perhaps go with the NetVista, it costs only 1,549.00 , and you can run BSD Unix, Linux, or Windows!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wow, you're right, I can see that the iMac was indeed copied blindly from that. I'm so ashamed

Can you burn DVDs on that IBM? No? Um, add a superdrive to it if you can and tell me the price then
  • Reply 6 of 10
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    So it isn't "way beyond the rumor sites." No biggie.

At the risk of making this a useful thread though has anyone here gotten close enough to one to tell whether a 17" screen would be practical? I am a bit surprised that that was not an option, especially now that portables have more size options.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I must agree on the display part of his criticism. The new iMac could easily have been made with both 15" and 17" models. That would have been the way to go. I'd rather have a 17" display than a superdrive, and I'm sure that I'm not alone on that one.

But display size aside, that new iMac totally rocks. It's awesome. And I'll take a G4 that can run OS X over a Pentium 4 that runs Windows any day. An 800 MHz G4, combined with the Geforce 2mx 32MB vram, makes this iMac a solid performer compared to any other computer out there.

I wouldn't be surprised if at MWNY, Apple added a new imac model with a 17" display.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    [quote]...and the iMac runs at the speed that PC's ran 2 years ago!<hr></blockquote>

Why don't you start hanging out with the wintrolls over at arstechnica?

They need another one on the battlefront.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    [quote]Originally posted by Cobra:

<strong>

Why don't you start hanging out with the wintrolls over at arstechnica?

They need another one on the battlefront. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I find it really funny at the people who say they need the highest speed computer. Most people don't even buy the highest speed of processor, and most people don't even need it. Surfing the web and writing email all day does not require a fast processor.

What I do find is that a lot of people enjoy bragging about their computers to their friends and in web forums. So, if that's important to any of you, then go buy PCs because you obviously believe the Hz rating is the only measure of a computer's worth.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    dstrathan or wahatever:

you still here? don't you know that both dell and ibm have overnight delivery?

You could have your superfast Pentium tomorrow!!!!!

Go, pup. Get your PC.

And go away.

SdC