iPad 2 3G Question

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
I know the Wifi version of the iPad does not attach the GPS coordinates to the metadata because there is no GPS chip in the WiFi version, right? Though, if I were to get an iPad with 3G, the 3G does not need to be enabled for the GPS coordinates to be attached to the metadata correct?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I know the Wifi version of the iPad does not attach the GPS coordinates to the metadata because there is no GPS chip in the WiFi version, right? Though, if I were to get an iPad with 3G, the 3G does not need to be enabled for the GPS coordinates to be attached to the metadata correct?

3G probably would need to enabled since the GPS sends it's signal only once it has an idea of where it is, or so i've heard.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I really can't say about meta-data (I have iPad 1 ... no camera), but the GPS DOES work with cellular data turned OFF. That would make me think that it would also append the metadata to photos and such in v2, but ... perhaps someone else can weigh in with their iPad2 experience??
  • Reply 3 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I think the 3G needs to be enabled. I notice on my iPhone 4 if the cellular data is off it will not attach locations to photos. FWIW.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

3G probably would need to enabled since the GPS sends it's signal only once it has an idea of where it is, or so i've heard.

The cell signal definitely helps the GPS, that's for sure.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    I'm not liking the sound of the consensus here. I want to use the iPad 2 for scouting locations for a documentary I am doing, then export the GPS metadata into a spreadsheet (via the PocketScout app) so that I could hand it into the film commission to figure out permit fees and what not. I have no use for the 3G otherwise and would not want to have to pay the monthly fee. If I could tether my iPhone 4 with the iPad 2 3G at no additional cost it would help me justify but otherwise it would just be for the GPS coordinates.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I think the 3G needs to be enabled. I notice on my iPhone 4 if the cellular data is off it will not attach locations to photos. FWIW.

That's strange. I have an iPod Touch, and triangulation location data is indeed attached to photos. Maybe if 3G is off, the WiFi has to be turned on.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

I'm not liking the sound of the consensus here. I want to use the iPad 2 for scouting locations for a documentary I am doing, then export the GPS metadata into a spreadsheet (via the PocketScout app) so that I could hand it into the film commission to figure out permit fees and what not. I have no use for the 3G otherwise and would not want to have to pay the monthly fee. If I could tether my iPhone 4 with the iPad 2 3G at no additional cost it would help me justify but otherwise it would just be for the GPS coordinates.

So.... just use the iPhone to take the photos?... better form-factor for use as a camera anyway.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

So.... just use the iPhone to take the photos?... better form-factor for use as a camera anyway.

Except for I will want to use these photos for storyboarding as well so using the iPhone is just a wee bit small for that. Plus, it's nice to be able to export the data into an Excel/Numbers like format that I could manipulate on the iPad itself, again more real estate for this the better, plus I am not willing to hack Numbers to run on my iPhone. I think the iPad is perfect for documentation creation.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Quote:

Except for I will want to use these photos for storyboarding as well so using the iPhone is just a wee bit small for that. Plus, it's nice to be able to export the data into an Excel/Numbers like format that I could manipulate on the iPad itself, again more real estate for this the better, plus I am not willing to hack Numbers to run on my iPhone. I think the iPad is perfect for documentation creation.

My feeling is that if you are really going to be doing location based stuff then a cell signal and cellular data is important for your iPad 2 3G. In terms of accuracy, time to lock on, and apps access to location data.

Can you get a no-contract microSIM that is prepaid, or just paid monthly as you need to? I mean, we're talking not more than US$30-$50 a month or so, right? You've already invested into the iPad 2 with 3G and the apps, etc... I think the 3G connection will really help what you want to do, assuming you have 3G coverage where you plan to use it.

Tethering is a possible workaround but my experience with the iPhone and iPad is that it treats WiFi data and 3G data quite differently when it comes to location services, ie. 3G data and signals are always much more helpful to doing location-based stuff.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    venerablevenerable Posts: 108member
    Quote:

So is the issue that you don't have a computer? Otherwise this sounds needlessly complicated. Do whatever you want on the iPhone with Pocket Scout and transfer the photos to your iPad for storyboarding. Pocket Scout lets you export a CSV file which can be read by Numbers on a computer or an iPad.