Adobe releases Photoshop companion apps for Apple's iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Adobe's three Photoshop CS5 companion applications for iPad -- Adobe Ezel, Nav and Color Lava -- are now available for purchase on the App Store.

Adobe's new Creative Suite 5.5 was released last week with iPad support for Photoshop, but users have not yet been able to take advantage of that functionality. That changed on Tuesday, Adobe's applications became available on the App Store.

The three applications, which range in price from $1.99 to $4.99, require Adobe Photoshop CS5 version 12.0.4. Features of the new applications include:

Adobe Eazel ($4.99): Takes advantage of cutting-edge painting technology, lets digital artists create rich realistic paintings with their fingertips and introduces a new kind of interaction between "wet" and "dry" paints. These paintings can then be sent directly to Photoshop CS5 for compositing or for taking the artwork further.

Adobe Color Lava ($2.99): Allows creative professionals to use their fingertips to mix colors on the iPad, creating custom color swatches and themes to transfer back into Photoshop.

Adobe Nav ($1.99): Increases workflow efficiency by letting users select and control Photoshop tools using the iPad as the input surface, customize the toolbar, browse and zoom in on up to 200 open Photoshop files or easily create new files.

More companion applications are expected with Adobe's new Photoshop Touch Software Development Kit. It allows developers to create mobile and tablet applications that interact with Adobe Photoshop CS5 and Photoshop CS5 Extended software.

The Photoshop Touch SDK and new scripting engine allow Android, BlackBerry Tablet OS and iOS applications to drive an interact with Photoshop on the desktop. While other platforms are supported, the first Photoshop Touch Software Development Kit products are only available for Apple's iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Adobe sell it as a tool to get you creative away from the office but what they are actually doing is getting some App space on iPad mainly to drive you back to your desk and CS5.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

Adobe sell it as a tool to get you creative away from the office but what they are actually doing is getting some App space on iPad mainly to drive you back to your desk and CS5.

What they are doing is taking advantage of iPad's touch technology to expand the interface options with their software. This is an innovative approach and one that opens up all sprts of possibilities.

Adobe should be applauded for showing initiative.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    iiwiiiiwii Posts: 2member
    Good to see Adobe bring such apps to iOS instead of diverting all that energy elsewhere.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

What they are doing is taking advantage of iPad's touch technology to expand the interface options with their software. This is an innovative approach and one that opens up all sprts of possibilities.

I'm not a big fan of Adobe and try to avoid their software whenever I can. Eg. I use PDFShrink and PDF Pen instead of the overpriced Adobe Acrobat.

But I agree with Carmissimo.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    These apps are very nice. Call me a cheapskate, but I just feel you never get anything for free out of Adobe. You shell out hundreds of pounds for Photoshop and they still want couple more out of you for a companion iOS app. Plenty of other companion apps for desktop apps are free.

We all know Adobe charge the earth, but if you live in Europe you really feel that pain.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    I hope these sell well. They certainly look innovative and are reasonably priced. Adobe *can* make really good software when they let go of all their legacy code and start fresh (see Lightroom and Audition).
  • Reply 7 of 13
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Technology collaboration between Apple and Adobe will benefit both companies greatly and the developers and consumers as well.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    nanoakronnanoakron Posts: 126member
    Does anyone wonder what a user with only 4 fingers does to bring up these multi-touch menus?

Perhaps there should be a degree of consideration for individuals who have lost or never had parts of their hands...
  • Reply 9 of 13
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    That's a nice warm cozy video. Now let's see the pricetag and get ready for the bugs.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Yes. There's much to be said, from the creative professional's POV, to having a bit of Photoshop handy and portable. That's never existed before, at least not like this. (Yes, on laptops, but this is significantly different.)

The problem with the touch interface for Adobe, though, is inadvertently pointed out by the very screen caps illustrating this article. Notice the weird-looking see-through hand? That's the problem with PS on iOS: Your hand winds up covering up much of what you're doing. On a computer, that issue does not exist.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

Does anyone wonder what a user with only 4 fingers does to bring up these multi-touch menus?

Perhaps there should be a degree of consideration for individuals who have lost or never had parts of their hands...

I also think Apple incredibly insensitive introducing multi-touch. What are people without arms supposed to do?

I think I'm going to sue Wacom and Bic for making products inaccessible to people who can't hold pens.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    nanoakronnanoakron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

I also think Apple incredibly insensitive introducing multi-touch. What are people without arms supposed to do?

I think I'm going to sue Wacom and Bic for making products inaccessible to people who can't hold pens.

Wow...asshole much?

How about a modicum of compassion for individuals who work in the graphics/design sectors yet only have fewer than 5 fingers on their dominant hand?

One simple setup menu is all it would take when not everyone can touch a screen with 5 fingers simultaneously.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iiwii View Post

Good to see Adobe bring such apps to iOS instead of diverting all that energy elsewhere.

You mean elsewhere like actually making Flash work on tablets instead of the perpetual beta it's been in for years?