Good Notetaking app for Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I currently have an iPad and use PenUltimate as a notetaking app on the iPad and like it a lot. Now I plan to purchase a MacBook Air and I will take this computer with me to meetings and other types of appointments. I'm going to use it for many things but one of the main things I plan to use it for is to take Notes.

I understand it's not a touch screen computer but instead of simplly using TextEdit or Word I'd like to know if there's any good notetaking applications for the Mac. I'd like one where I could simply type notes but if possible use the Trackpad or tools to do some minimal drawing in notes and possibly even use the microphone for voice notes. I'd also like the ability to take organize these notes in categories, etc. Is there anything like this available for the Mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

I'd like one where I could simply type notes but if possible use the Trackpad or tools to do some minimal drawing in notes and possibly even use the microphone for voice notes.

Dictating voice notes while in a meeting/class is not ideal... to put it mildly. Or even possible IRL. Nor is drawing (= doodling) for copying simple diagrams from a black- or whiteboard. Too confusing and too time consuming.

So the old maxim also holds firm here: K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid). I.o.w. use appropriate tools for the job in hand and shoot pix with your phone or P&S camera to capture diagrams etc. (NO FLASH, of course!), and use TextEdit on your MBA for taking notes.

Some P&S cameras and smartphone camera apps allow you to attach a few seconds of voice/audio "notes" to an image. But I can't see you dictating those in a meeting or class...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    I use a Sony hand held voice recorder instead of taking notes. Some of the newer recorders can be connected to a computer. I have an older one, so I don't know how well that translates to your computer. Parttimer's advice to use a camera is a good idea. Trying to type (or dictate) is too distracting. Again, Parttimer's advice to K.I.S.S is sound advice.

Even if you can't pick up all the speaker's message, you can resurrect a lot from the voice recorder. Paying attention to the speaker instead of other distractions like typing works a lot better for me.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

paying attention to the speaker instead of other distractions like typing works a lot better for me.

Amen!

So, combining the above advice, you are much better off without an MBA! You already have an iPad that you can take notes on. Get an iPad cover with built-in wireless hardware keyboard if you must. An iPad is half the price and half the weight of an MBA (thus twice as mobile, with twice the battery life!). While an MBA doesn't add anything useful to you following speakers/lecturers anyway...

If you want a laptop, get a real one. A decent one. A competent one: an MBP!

If you want better features, power, and screen, for 70% of the price of an MBP: get an iMac! It's the perfect combo with an iPad for mobile use.

If you get an MBA you will need to get a real computer, with a DVD drive, as well anyway, for stuff like installing software from DVDs etc. on that MBA. Or a separate, external DVD drive. Try to fit that combo into that manilla envelope!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    icrizzoicrizzo Posts: 9member
    Evernote. The desktop version has lots of features.