Apple TV 4.2.2. update brings minor fixes to black boxes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A new software update addresses a variety of minor issues for users of the second generation "black box" A4-powered Apple TV.

The update, which is the second minor update to version 4.2, is named 4.2.2, but internally is described as iOS 4.3 build 8F305. The current build of iOS used by iPhone and iPads is 8J3.

Apple reports that new update addresses a half dozen minor issues:

Audio: Addresses an issue in which audio is not output when playing some video content.

Video playback: Addresses an issue in which video is not displayed when playing some content.

Audio output setting: Adds an audio output setting for switching to 16-bit audio for compatibility with some TVs and AV receivers.

Live FF/RW improvements: Improves the performance of fast-forwarding and rewinding live events.

Movie description: Addresses an issue in which the description information is not displayed for some movies.

YouTube video order: Addresses an issue in which YouTube subscription videos were not ordered by date.

Users of the original, Intel-based Apple TV are still stuck with software update 3.0.1, as that model is now discontinued.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    roberteroberte Posts: 10member
    Let's hope they fix the home sharing issue as it's been around for a while now!
  • Reply 2 of 34
    mugzymugzy Posts: 38member
    it fixed my movie descriptions!

now they show up like they should.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    gcom006gcom006 Posts: 73member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobertE View Post

What home sharing issue? I haven't has any issues as far as I know.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Can anyone tell me if the new audio settings allow you to change from 48 kHz to 44.1 kHz?
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:

I wish people would be more specific when they posted comments like this. Exactly what issue are you seeing?
  • Reply 6 of 34
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    when are they putting in the A5, come september with the ipods?

That's the only thing that's keeping me from buying the current iteration. The a5 and new graphics will take this little system to the next level.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    roberteroberte Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I wish people would be more specific when they posted comments like this. Exactly what issue are you seeing?

I thought it was a common problem. At macrumors.com they all where chiming in about it.

My appleTV routinely looses information about my Home Sharing machine and claims there are '0' content on it. The way to solve it is to log out/in from home sharing on the appleTV. It happens every few times the appleTV comes up and have been doing this consistently from when I got it
  • Reply 8 of 34
    mauijoemauijoe Posts: 77member
    Quote:

Not sure it's the same problem but my first gen apple tv crashes about once or twice a day since I've been using home sharing and the remote app on my iPhone and iPad. Just got a new atv 2 but haven't hooked it up yet (looking for a cheap hdmi cord on Maui, not easy). All in all I loved the first one. Never saw the need for the built in HD always streamed everything anyway
  • Reply 9 of 34
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    The 2 issues that I would like to see addressed are:

- my screensaver settings seem to drop out intermittently, I feel like I have to set this every few days

- the ATV doesn't seem to store my wifi password, meaning that from time to time when i need to reselect my wifi network, i have to (time-consumingly) manually re-enter the wifi password, something that is obviously never required on a Mac, iPhone etc...

oh, and obviously it would be useful if Apple allowed me to play the most widely used video formats in the universe.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

I thought it was a common problem. At macrumors.com they all where chiming in about it.

My appleTV routinely looses information about my Home Sharing machine and claims there are '0' content on it. The way to solve it is to log out/in from home sharing on the appleTV. It happens every few times the appleTV comes up and have been doing this consistently from when I got it

I've not seen that from several Macs and two iPhones. I wonder what the issue is? Maybe a factory reset is in order and a firm tap on the side?
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:

I've seen that a few times too. You can also fix it by simply closing and reopening iTunes.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

A lot of Apple TV2 users started having metadata (descriptions) issues about two months ago. Todays update fixes that issue, but only for the Apple TV2.

For example, before todays update, I could not view any descriptions on my Apple TV2 to new media added to iTunes 10.2. I had to reinstall iTunes 10.1 to view the descriptions. Now with todays update, that's no longer an issue.

But there is still an issue with iTunes 10.2+. I just reinstalled 10.2.2 to test the Apple TV and it worked, but now my iPad 2 won't display any descriptions on new media added to the 10.2 library. Media added to the 10.1 library is unaffected.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveJacobson View Post

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

A lot of Apple TV2 users started having metadata (descriptions) issues about two months ago. Todays update fixes that issue, but only for the Apple TV2.

For example, before todays update, I could not view any descriptions on my Apple TV2 to new media added to iTunes 10.2. I had to reinstall iTunes 10.1 to view the descriptions. Now with todays update, that's no longer an issue.

But there is still an issue with iTunes 10.2+. I just reinstalled 10.2.2 to test the Apple TV and it worked, but now my iPad 2 won't display any descriptions on new media added to the 10.2 library. Media added to the 10.1 library is unaffected.

When adding shows to iTunes, iTunes 10.2.1 would not use the Long Description field to display on the AppleTV.

I use an AppleScript to copy this to the iTunes metadata file. It didn't actually change anything in the metadata in the file. It just forces iTunes to write it to the correct field.

Posted by kacheln

on page 12 here -> https://discussions.apple.com/thread...t=165&tstart=0

tell application "iTunes"

repeat with eachitem in selection

set dsc to description of eachitem

set long description of eachitem to dsc

end repeat

end tell
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

When adding shows to iTunes, iTunes 10.2.1 would not use the Long Description field to display on the AppleTV.

I use an AppleScript to copy this to the iTunes metadata file. It didn't actually change anything in the metadata in the file. It just forces iTunes to write it to the correct field.

Posted by kacheln

on page 12 here -> https://discussions.apple.com/thread...t=165&tstart=0

tell application "iTunes"

repeat with eachitem in selection

set dsc to description of eachitem

set long description of eachitem to dsc

end repeat

end tell

Chris, thanks for the intel but I'm sticking with 10.1 for now. IMO iTunes 10.2 users should not have to run scripts to enable a feature that was working just fine in 10.1. What about metadata descriptions on the iPad 2 (using iTunes 10.2)? Will that script fix that discrepancy as well?
  • Reply 15 of 34
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    I wonder if Apple is going to fix the pricing issue in iTMS. The prices are cheaper if you use a first gen AppleTV compared to the exact same content with a 2G. It's ridiculous. We just have both attached and switch back to the 1G if we are actually renting something.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:

Can anyone tell me if the new audio settings allow you to change from 48 kHz to 44.1 kHz?

Audio Output options are limited to 16-bit and Auto. Is this related to how your CDs were encoded?
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Audio Output options are limited to 16-bit and Auto. Is this related to how your CDs were encoded?

Thanks for the response. A not very well publicised but IMHO highly disappointing shortcoming of ATV2 is that it re-samples all content to 48 kHz. Any music ripped from CD or bought from iTMS (which have 44.1 kHz sample rates) is therefore "tampered with" by the ATV. As 44.1 kHz to 48 kHz is not an integer multiple, this resampling is challenging to perform accurately with low CPU usage.

The Roku Soundbridge M1001 (no longer available) also re-sampled everything to 48 kHz and in the process introduced audible noise in some tracks.

I think that one might reasonably expect that if you stream an Apple Lossless file to the ATV, the bitstream that comes out of the ATV should be exactly the same as that contained in the lossless file. Sadly, if the lossless file has a 44.1 kHz sample rate, this will not be the case.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

when are they putting in the A5, come september with the ipods?

That's the only thing that's keeping me from buying the current iteration. The a5 and new graphics will take this little system to the next level.

Hopefully we?ll see the A5(Cortex-A9MP2, SGX543MP2, 512MB RAM), that 2nd NAND space used for 16GB total, and an SDK for AppleTV App Store apps this year.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveJacobson View Post

Chris, thanks for the intel but I'm sticking with 10.1 for now. IMO iTunes 10.2 users should not have to run scripts to enable a feature that was working just fine in 10.1. What about metadata descriptions on the iPad 2 (using iTunes 10.2)? Will that script fix that discrepancy as well?

I don't believe it will fix it for the iPad.

Pretty sure iTunes will need a tweak.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Thanks for the response. A not very well publicised but IMHO highly disappointing shortcoming of ATV2 is that it re-samples all content to 48 kHz. Any music ripped from CD or bought from iTMS (which have 44.1 kHz sample rates) is therefore "tampered with" by the ATV. As 44.1 kHz to 48 kHz is not an integer multiple, this resampling is challenging to perform accurately with low CPU usage.

The Roku Soundbridge M1001 (no longer available) also re-sampled everything to 48 kHz and in the process introduced audible noise in some tracks.

I think that one might reasonably expect that if you stream an Apple Lossless file to the ATV, the bitstream that comes out of the ATV should be exactly the same as that contained in the lossless file. Sadly, if the lossless file has a 44.1 kHz sample rate, this will not be the case.

So what? Why should an average, non-lossless listener care?

It would be helpful if you first laid that out.