Apple TV 4.2.2. update brings minor fixes to black boxes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    chme6583chme6583 Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobertE View Post

I thought it was a common problem. At macrumors.com they all where chiming in about it.

My appleTV routinely looses information about my Home Sharing machine and claims there are '0' content on it. The way to solve it is to log out/in from home sharing on the appleTV. It happens every few times the appleTV comes up and have been doing this consistently from when I got it

I am experiencing the same problem.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    jwilcoxjwilcox Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MauiJoe View Post

Not sure it's the same problem but my first gen apple tv crashes about once or twice a day since I've been using home sharing and the remote app on my iPhone and iPad. Just got a new atv 2 but haven't hooked it up yet (looking for a cheap hdmi cord on Maui, not easy). All in all I loved the first one. Never saw the need for the built in HD always streamed everything anyway

Try Amazon. They have good cables at a very good price. Cables made just for Amazon.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So what? Why should an average, non-lossless listener care?

Because depending on the quality of the upsampling, there's potential for it to produce audible artefacts whether the source has been lossy-ly compressed or not.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Hmmm I still can't play MKV files. Bug not fixed.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobertE View Post

I thought it was a common problem. At macrumors.com they all where chiming in about it.

My appleTV routinely looses information about my Home Sharing machine and claims there are '0' content on it. The way to solve it is to log out/in from home sharing on the appleTV. It happens every few times the appleTV comes up and have been doing this consistently from when I got it

I unplug the box and plug it in again. Solves the problem until the next time. I've had this problem with each of two ATVs that I own. Not a deal breaker but an annoyance.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Apple's updates to Apple TV have REALLY lacked luster, except for AirPlay. What's needed is the App Store ASAP, and more features like FireCore's ATV Flash offers -- a web browser and others. Also WHY hasn't Apple enabled the Bluetooth feature yet?! You can enable it if you JB, and then use your Apple BT Keyboard...
  • Reply 27 of 34
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Lots of hoopla about future iOS iPhones updating themselves, and people worried about downloading the whole os.

The AppleTV updates it's iOS itself, with a small incremental update. Good stuff.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Hmmm I still can't play MKV files. Bug not fixed.

Get a Patriot Box Office and shut up.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BadFlounder View Post

I've seen that a few times too. You can also fix it by simply closing and reopening iTunes.

What happens is that whenever iTunes has been restarted on the computer that the ATV is link to, when you go to the computer tab on the ATV it will either show that there are no libraies and Home Sharing needs to be turned on (which of course it already is) or it will display the library but when you try to play something it say endlessly displays "Accessing "X" Library" but it fails to complete that task.

It is usually a restarting of iTunes on the computer of the library that you are sharing that initiates the problem (i.e. because of a software update or reboot, etc.), but I have had the ATV "lose sight" of the library simply upon awakening from sleep mode.

Sometimes, disabling and re-enabling home sharing on the ATV works, but often the only solution is to simply reset the ATV by holding down the "Down + Menu" buttons for 6 seconds. When it restarts, all is fine.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Get a Patriot Box Office and shut up.

Get some honey and suck my nuts.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    xanthohappyxanthohappy Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

A not very well publicised but IMHO highly disappointing shortcoming of ATV2 is that it re-samples all content to 48 kHz. Any music ripped from CD or bought from iTMS (which have 44.1 kHz sample rates) is therefore "tampered with" by the ATV. As 44.1 kHz to 48 kHz is not an integer multiple, this resampling is challenging to perform accurately with low CPU usage.

I think that one might reasonably expect that if you stream an Apple Lossless file to the ATV, the bitstream that comes out of the ATV should be exactly the same as that contained in the lossless file. Sadly, if the lossless file has a 44.1 kHz sample rate, this will not be the case.

Wow. That sucks, I did not know that. I agree that I would expect it to stream in the best quality it can. I was listening to a song through my AppleTV last night, which was streaming from my iPhone, and it sounded a little muddy. So I paused, grabbed the CD, and put that into my CD player to see if there was a difference. It definitely was cleaner, but I wasn't sure how much of that was the compression and how much was the quality loss between the iPhone > TV > TV > Receiver conversions and cables. (I should probably be using the Toslink connection for audio, but my receiver is old and not digital, so I have to grab the audio from my TV that's sent through the HDMI connection. Not ideal, I know.) Anyways, after reading your post I'm thinking there was more quality lost in the process than I thought.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    technettechnet Posts: 9member
    [QUOTE=Mr. H;1862664]Thanks for the response. A not very well publicised but IMHO highly disappointing shortcoming of ATV2 is that it re-samples all content to 48 kHz. Any music ripped from CD or bought from iTMS (which have 44.1 kHz sample rates) is therefore "tampered with" by the ATV. As 44.1 kHz to 48 kHz is not an integer multiple, this resampling is challenging to perform accurately with low CPU usage.

I did not know the above. I have been doing quality tests now for a few months and was beginning to suspect something was going on though..

Kind of reminds me of my old Creative Labs Audigy Sound card on my old PC which did similair things to your music to 48 Khz.

Anyway my reason for asking this question is - does the new setting Auto or 16 bit help this at all?

Does setting it at 16 Bit for source. use 44 Khz or does it always convert to 48 Khz for hardware chipset reasons?

Thanks.

steve
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Netflix navigation is still bad and could learn from the way it is done on the PS3.

And I just hate how it always jumps back to the top of my favourite list if I view a movie that is way down the screen
  • Reply 34 of 34
    nejdanejda Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by focher View Post

The prices are cheaper if you use a first gen AppleTV compared to the exact same content with a 2G.

I'm wondering if you have your defaults set up differently on both devices. One could be defaulting to HD, hence the higher price, while the other would be defaulting to SD...