Samsung shows off 2560x1600 10-inch tablet display

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Samsung is getting ready to show off a 2560 by 1600 resolution 10.1-inch LCD display designed for tablets, approaching Retina-like pixel density, though the display would likely need some work if it were to make its way into Apple's iPad 3.

Samsung and its partner Nouvoyance will unveil the WQXGA display next week at the SID Display Week 2011 International Symposium, TUAW reports. With a resolution of 2560 by 1600, the display has a pixel density of 300 pixels per inch, giving it a resolution within the "Retina" range as defined by Apple CEO Steve Jobs last year.

The new display uses RGBW PenTile technology and is expected to become commercially available later this year.

?Samsung?s PenTile display technology is the only display technology that operates at 40 percent less power yet provides twice that of Full HD-viewing performance for consumers compared to legacy RGB stripe LCDs. There is no other commercial display technology on the market today that offers this high of a resolution and pixel density in a 10.1-inch size display,? said Dr. Sungtae Shin, Senior VP of Samsung Electronics.

Update: As noted by display expert Dr. Raymond Soneira, RGBW PenTile "only has 2 sub-pixels per pixel," compared to three sub-pixels on traditional LCDs. As such, the display will not have the same sharpness as standard LCD displays.

The Seoul, Korea-based company has, as of late, shown a preference for the 10.1-inch form factor over the 9.7-inch screen that Apple uses and the 7-inch size used for Samsung's first tablet. Samsung announced the Galaxy Tab 10.1, which has a resolution of 1280 by 800 pixels in February at the Mobile World Congress. However, after Apple unveiled the iPad 2 in early March, one Samsung executive said parts of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 were "inadequate" and needed to be improved, especially thickness.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, via PCWorld.

Several weeks later, Samsung showed off a redesigned Galaxy Tab that was .01 inches thinner than Apple's iPad 2. The flagship 10.1 inch version is also joined by an 8.9-inch model.

Shortly after the unveiling of the redesign, Samsung came under criticism for promotional videos of "true life stores" that actually used actors and an "independent director" who had done work for Samsung in the past.

In order to drum up support for the new tablet release, Samsung handed out 5000 copies of the new Galaxy Tab 10.1 at Google's I/O developer conference this week. The device is slated for a Jun. 8 release.

Though news of Samsung's new display has generated speculation that Apple will implement it in the next generation of the iPad, the 2560 by 1600 resolution is off from the projected resolution of the iPad 3, which is expected to double to 2048 by 1536 pixels. Apple has also preferred the In Plane Switching technology over Samsung's PenTile.

Initial rumors had suggested the iPad 2 would feature a Retina Display, but analyst Ming-chi Kuo of Concord Securities reported that production constraints and high cost prevented Apple from using a higher resolution display in the second-generation iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    iPad 2 HD me thinks... sooner than an iPad 3.
  • Reply 2 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Sounds like Samsung could give their tablet a huge marketing win over the iPad with that display which is 16:10, but I question the overall quality of the PenTile design. How is the viewing angel compared to IPS? What does that mean for the GPU? Is the pixel count referring to the main pixels or to the sub pixels like we’ve seen in some AMOLED displays?
  • Reply 3 of 82
    skateniskateni Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Sounds like Samsung could give their tablet a huge marketing win over the iPad with that display which is 16:10, but I question the overall quality of the PenTile design. How is the viewing angel compared to IPS? What does that mean for the GPU? Is the pixel count referring to the main pixels or to the sub pixels like we?ve seen in some AMOLED displays?

true .. but then again how much will it drive the cost up ( would think the production yields would be low for a huge display ) and also can it be made in high enough volumes ? ... it's pointless to have a unit that would be cost prohibitive to most consumers and also be available in dribs and drabs. they'll only win in marketing points ( a check in their spec sheet )
  • Reply 4 of 82
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Though news of Samsung's new display has generated speculation that Apple will implement it in the next generation of the iPad, the 2560 by 1600 resolution is off from the projected resolution of the iPad 3, which is expected to double to 2048 by 1536 pixels. Apple has also preferred the In Plane Switching technology over Samsung's PenTile...

Apple won't use PenTile. It doesn't give accurate colour reproduction.
  • Reply 5 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Looks like LG is getting into the mix with a demo at SID at the same time as Samsung. Now that we have two players this is getting exciting.
    I did a little digging and found out a little about AH-IPS (Advanced High Performance In-Plane Switching). Turns out it’s exactly what I'd expect Apple to use.
    Advanced form of IPS, has realizes 1.5 to 2 times the resolution of typical LCD panels. This ultra high resolution becomes particularly valuable when the emphasis is on displaying highly detailed images. The technology also improves display's color accuracy, which in turn leads to reproduce the original color precisely without color distortion. In addition, it provides greater light transmission which translates into lower power consumption while delivering exceptional picture quality, making it ideal for use in outdoor settings.
    Besides the iPad this tech seems exactly what to expect in Macs coming after Lion’s release.
  • Reply 6 of 82
    That resolution packed into 10 inches blows my mind. Can't believe a full res bluray video would only take up 75% of this.

I'm not in the market for an iPad but if I was, I'd really hold off, this is an incredible upgrade and worth the wait, assuming its out in 11 months or less.
  • Reply 7 of 82
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    pssssssss

What's that sound?

pssssssss pssssssss

That's right, it's the sound of the iPad 2 pissing all over the Samsung Galaxy.
  • Reply 8 of 82
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Apple won't use PenTile. It doesn't give accurate colour reproduction.

It's also cheating on the real resolution. The actual number of pixels in a pen tile display is less than the number advertised. Real pixels are shared between neighboring counted pixels. A side effect is that it defeats the purpose of having a retina display: sharper text.
  • Reply 9 of 82
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Looks like LG is getting into the mix with a demo at SID at the same time as Samsung. Now that we have two players this is getting exciting.
    I did a little digging and found out a little about AH-IPS (Advanced High Performance In-Plane Switching). Turns out it?s exactly what I'd expect Apple to use.
    Advanced form of IPS, has realizes 1.5 to 2 times the resolution of typical LCD panels. This ultra high resolution becomes particularly valuable when the emphasis is on displaying highly detailed images. The technology also improves display's color accuracy, which in turn leads to reproduce the original color precisely without color distortion. In addition, it provides greater light transmission which translates into lower power consumption while delivering exceptional picture quality, making it ideal for use in outdoor settings.
    Besides the iPad this tech seems exactly what to expect in Macs coming after Lion?s release.

The LG's 9.7" IPS specs in the links above are the pixel doubling that Apple would need to allow devs to use the rez without difficult reprogramming. Looking good.....
  • Reply 10 of 82
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    10.1" - that should find a home on some notebooks!

Wonder if Samsung also choose this size to keep is out of Apple's hands
  • Reply 11 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

pssssssss

What's that sound?

pssssssss pssssssss

That's right, it's the sound of the iPad 2 pissing all over the Samsung Galaxy.

Judging by the initial press reaction to the New Galaxy, I think it might be in the opposite direction. Positive is an understatement.
  • Reply 12 of 82
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Sounds like Samsung could give their tablet a huge marketing win over the iPad with that display which is 16:10, but I question the overall quality of the PenTile design. How is the viewing angel compared to IPS? What does that mean for the GPU? Is the pixel count referring to the main pixels or to the sub pixels like we?ve seen in some AMOLED displays?

Pentile seems fine. The Original Galaxy S had it and most reviewers preferred it or rated it on par with the iP4 display.

Presuming the GPU will be the ARM Mali-400 MP in the Exynos SOC thats in the Galaxy S 2, then There shouldn't be a problem. Capable of drawing 450 million triangles a second - which is X-Box 360 level of performance!

Quote:

The graphics GPU will be able to render 3,200 million pixels per second, which is almost the same as the pixel fill rate for a Gainward GeForce 8400 GS with 256 MB of RAM. The GPU will be able to use a large memory bandwidth of up to 6,400 million bytes per second and will have native WVGA dual display as well as simultaneous 1080p HDMI output.

http://androidencyclopedia.com/tag/intel-corporation/
  • Reply 13 of 82
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Sounds like Samsung could give their tablet a huge marketing win over the iPad with that display which is 16:10, but I question the overall quality of the PenTile design.

Actually the question is the overall quality of Samsung's proposition.

Who cares if it has a retina display if the OS and apps are crap?
  • Reply 14 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

iPad 2 HD me thinks... sooner than an iPad 3.

Yes, they would totally make the upgrade to a "retina" display incremental. NOT.

Do you even understand what it takes to make it use a "retina" display with the same performance? It would have to be a major upgrade, with beefed up CPU, graphics chipset AND memory in order to handle the image bandwidth...
  • Reply 15 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

Judging by the initial press reaction to the New Galaxy, I think it might be in the opposite direction. Positive is an understatement.

Yes, because the press reaction to android tablet announcements and the constant "iPad killer" touting had done them a ton of good, apparently.
  • Reply 16 of 82
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Pentile seems fine. The Original Galaxy S had it and most reviewers preferred it or rated it on par with the iP4 display.

Presuming the GPU will be the ARM Mali-400 MP in the Exynos SOC thats in the Galaxy S 2, then There shouldn't be a problem. Capable of drawing 450 million triangles a second - which is X-Box 360 level of performance!

http://androidencyclopedia.com/tag/intel-corporation/

If I recall correctly, people said that the brightness and vibrancy of the Galaxy and G1 OLED displays was good (though the 'vibrancy' meant that colour reproduction was not that accurate).

A lot of people did say the text was not nearly as sharp. Further analysis showed that this was a result of the Pentile implementation at the sub-pixel level.

Whether this is still an issue at this higher resolutions (and thus increased dot pitch at the sub-pixel level) only time will tell.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:

Apple has also preferred the In Plane Switching technology over PenTile.

uhh... that doesn't make much sense. PenTile is a name for a special type of subpixel arrangement, IPS is a LCD display technology.

They are two completely different things. In theory an IPS panel can have a Pentile subpixel arrangement, although AFAIK only OLED displays have used them so far.

Which brings up another point; Although the article mentions that its a traditional LCD display (doesn't mention if its TN or IPS or some other panel tech though), I suspect that its actually an OLED display. Given that a) Samsung is really fond of OLEDs (see Galaxy S lineup), and that it follows a RGBW pentile arrangement (thus far, only seen in OLED displays)

Quote:

I don't know about that, since IIRC, the xbox 360 only renders at 720p (the 1280x720 range). a 2560x1600 display has over 4x the pixels of a 720p display. Even if the xbox 360 renders at full HD (1080p), 2560x1600 is 2x the pixels.

Honestly, I don't see current tablet hardware being able to handle this resolution. Render the desktop and a few transitions yeah, maybe. But video playback (hell, we're JUST approaching the point where 1080p playback is possible, nevermind 1600p), or anything 3d simply isn't going to happen. Even most high end desktop GPUs struggle with the majority of modern games at this resolution.
  • Reply 18 of 82
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    At the moment, I don't think it makes much sense in a tablet, current hardware isn't capable of pushing that much pixels and maintain a usable battery life.
  • Reply 19 of 82
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If you simply give iPad 2 this display it would kill performance and battery life, which is why I was glad to see iPad 2 make full-use of all of its performance advancements when it launched in March 2011.
  • Reply 20 of 82
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    PenTile is crap, not suitable for reading and iBooks.

The less dependent Apple is on Samsung, the better.

Besides, there are other display providers (LG Display, Sharp, ... etc)