Apple rumored to release 'iPhone 4S' with T-Mobile, Sprint support in Sept.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new report claims that the fifth-generation iPhone will be a relatively minor update dubbed "4S" that will bring support for both Sprint and T-Mobile networks in the U.S.

The details come from a research note from Jeffries & Co. analyst Peter Misek, first reported on by Forbes. In the note, Misek asserts that the next iPhone will not support the next-generation 4G long-term evolution networks that offer higher speeds than the current 3G wireless technology.

Citing industry checks, he said the fifth-generation iPhone will arrive in September with "minor cosmetic changes, better cameras, A5 dual-core processor, and HSPA+ support." New carriers are expected to include Sprint, T-Mobile, and China Mobile.

Apple reportedly hoped to have LTE chips ready for its next iPhone, but the performance of current products is said to not meet Apple's standards. Instead, the company will rely on its backup plan phone, dubbed the "iPhone 4S."

Reports began to surface in March that Apple would not meet the usual June launch timeframe for this year's iPhone upgrade. Instead, the device is expected to debut during Apple's next fiscal year, which begins in late September.

Various reports and alleged prototypes have shown devices with a larger screen, utilizing a new edge-to-edge display that would keep the hardware itself the same size. And in April, a Verizon executive suggested that Apple's next iPhone would be a world phone capable of connecting to both GSM and CDMA wireless networks.

Friday's report echoes many details stated in April by Reuters, which claimed that the next iPhone would arrive in September and would boast a faster processor while looking "largely similar to the iPhone 4." Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo also told AppleInsider that the next-generation iPhone would go into mass production in September, would sport the same A5 processor found in the iPad 2, and would have an upgraded 8-megapixel rear camera.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 117
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member
    I wonder if there is any chance at all this would happen in July?

\
  • Reply 2 of 117
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Will this be in lieu of a proper iPhone 5, or will it replace the iPhone 4 when the 5 is released? Hmm...
  • Reply 3 of 117
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Good, I can finally skip an upgrade. The bigger news will probably be at WWDC (3 weeks away).
  • Reply 4 of 117
    loungepoploungepop Posts: 71member
    There's no way Apple would break with their update cycle and replace a one year old complete refresh... New models come every other model at the very most. A larger screen and form-factor update seems more important/relevant than an even better camera a slight speed upgrade for an already lightning fast model... I feel the aesthetics are farther behind the times than the hardware, but Apple will of course release a 4S and give us the modern iPhone in 2012.
  • Reply 5 of 117
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Will this be in lieu of a proper iPhone 5, or will it replace the iPhone 4 when the 5 is released? Hmm...

Sounds like it will be to iPhone 4 what iPhone 3GS was to iPhone 3G.

I would assume it will be incremental, and iPhone 5 will be next year and "revolutionary" or "magical", or whatever Jobs word of the day is!
  • Reply 6 of 117
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Just another rumor with no substantiation. If Apple only puts a faster processor in the next IPhone they would be really shooting themselves in the foot!

I would think that Apple would have to at the very least include a bigger screen if not many people will NOT upgrade. Hopefully Apple realizes this
  • Reply 7 of 117
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Apple could be simply getting people out of the mindset that every June/July is when a new iPhone is coming out. Instead we've have seen a Verizon iPhone earlier this year and then a white iPhone just a few weeks ago.

I'm thinking more frequent updates (major and minor) will be the norm. The iPhone 4S this fall with minor tweaks and an LTE version when time permits.

Apple certainly is not following a yearly upgrade with the iPad. They are trying to get the iPad refreshes out as soon as possible. Both markets are heavily contested so they need to crank out features that keep them ahead of the pack.
  • Reply 8 of 117
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post

Good, I can finally skip an upgrade. The bigger news will probably be at WWDC (3 weeks away).

I was thinking this might be the first year I upgrade immediately from the previous year. HSPA+, A5 and AWS support are all pretty compelling for me on their own, so all three together make this attractive. But, I am looking at it as a Canadian, where HSPA+ is common and AWS would allow me to move to the new carriers that are far cheaper but are AWS.
  • Reply 9 of 117
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Wouldn't it be great if it went to Sprint and Sprint offered a $79 unlimited plan? I would switch sell my ATT iP4 and pay the early disconnect fee in a heartbeat! This $120/mo to ATT is killing me!
  • Reply 10 of 117
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Just another rumor with no substantiation. If Apple only puts a faster processor in the next IPhone they would be really shooting themselves in the foot!

I would think that Apple would have to at the very least include a bigger screen if not many people will NOT upgrade. Hopefully Apple realizes this

Apple realizes that most people are on 2 year contracts. The 4S will be a big enough improvement over the 4 to grab most 3GS owners and attract new customers. Based on recent history I'd pick Apple's strategy over that of anyone else.
  • Reply 11 of 117
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

There is no such thing as a "proper" iPhone 5.

Remember, the iPhone 4 is the only phone they've released to date where the number matches the phone generation. The 5th gen iPhone will be whatever they release next.

Whether it's called "iPhone 4s" or "iPhone 6 XP special edition" is irrelevant.
  • Reply 12 of 117
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Apple certainly is not following a yearly upgrade with the iPad. They are trying to get the iPad refreshes out as soon as possible. Both markets are heavily contested so they need to crank out features that keep them ahead of the pack.

Yes, certainly not.

Except for the first and second models. The only two points in the data set.

Certainly not an annual cycle, that is very clear.

• Reply 13 of 117
    ny3rangerny3ranger Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post

Exactly. I am hoping that the software iOS 5 is compelling enough to satisfy me and I can skip the minor upgrade and just get the LTE iPhone next year.
  • Reply 14 of 117
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    More iPhones on more carriers would be a major boost.
  • Reply 15 of 117
    ny3rangerny3ranger Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Wouldn't it be great if it went to Sprint and Sprint offered a $79 unlimited plan? I would switch sell my ATT iP4 and pay the early disconnect fee in a heartbeat! This $120/mo to ATT is killing me!

This would work for me too only if its a world phone. That way when you can use it internationally. And I wish you could use data roaming in the usa without paying extra.
  • Reply 16 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

"This is just another post with no substantiation but if the next phone doesn't conform to what I personally desire it will be a disaster! Most people would realise that including a bigger screen is not a universal want. Hopefully Apple doesn't realise this though because that's what *I* want."

• Reply 17 of 117
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ny3ranger View Post

And I wish you could use data roaming in the usa without paying extra.

What's that?
  • Reply 18 of 117
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I have just one feature request for the iPhone 4S: a real camera flash. The current white LED is a miserable flash resulting in miserable photos at night. With a real flash on an iphone I could finally get rid of my dedicated digital camera.
  • Reply 19 of 117
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Apple could be simply getting people out of the mindset that every June/July is when a new iPhone is coming out. Instead we've have seen a Verizon iPhone earlier this year and then a white iPhone just a few weeks ago.

I'm thinking more frequent updates (major and minor) will be the norm. The iPhone 4S this fall with minor tweaks and an LTE version when time permits.

I think they need new models. The other part of this report was that sales were flat sequentially - unless there is a bump with iOS 5, then sales would be flat through to the September release. Normally this quarter, while traditionally flat, is followed by a new model in the next Q, garnering a bump in sales. Not this year. Apple is set for two consecutive falls in market share, possibly quite steep.
  • Reply 20 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I was thinking this might be the first year I upgrade immediately from the previous year. HSPA+, A5 and AWS support are all pretty compelling for me on their own, so all three together make this attractive. But, I am looking at it as a Canadian, where HSPA+ is common and AWS would allow me to move to the new carriers that are far cheaper but are AWS.

I agree. I've upgraded every year so far, but the only compelling feature for me here is AWS and only then if the new carriers offer a more compelling value proposition.

I think if you look at it from Apple's point of view though an "iPhone 4s" for the fifth generation phone makes sense. So far, the only limit on sales has been production and supply. There doesn't seem to me to be a good reason why they have to worry about what the market wants or whether they would sell more with this that or the other wiz-bang feature like bigger screens etc. People line up for whatever they release and pay a premium to get it.

If you look at it from the design/manufacturing/product perspective:

iPhone 1 ("iPhone") - "just get it out the door" (beta hardware)

iPhone 2 ("iPhone 3G") - "make it mass produceable" (1.0 hardware)

iPhone 3 ("iPhone 3Gs") - "faster, stronger, finalise the internals" (2.0 hardware)

iPhone 4 ("iPhone 4") - "reference design" (final 3.0 hardware)

Now they have the iPhone 4 design, I wouldn't be surprised if they stick with it for several iterations. It's certainly typical for any product to take two or three tries to get it right and then more or less stay that way for a long time after. There is nothing "wrong" with the iPhone design at this point and nothing missing. They aren't lacking anything they need to add and don't have anything broken they need to fix on the basic design.

It makes complete sense to me that iPhone 5 might be just "iPhone 4s" and merely add the last two missing radio bands (world phone) and some speed. I wouldn't be surprised if iPhone 6 was similarly "iPhone 4s LTE" and was a similarly incremental upgrade. The game here is producing a single product that can spread out across the world in any market and compete head to head with any other phone, not adding whatever gee-gaw and doo-dad the other guys add.