Adobe Flash 10.3 adds auto-update notification for Apple's Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noitallnow View Post

. I shall write that again...IF YOU TRY TO DOWNLOAD FLASH 10.3, ADOBE WILL DELETE THEIR VERSION 10.1 FROM YOUR SYSTEM AND YOU WILL HAVE NOTHING FROM ADOBE TO PLAY VIDEOS!

just go here to get old versions all the way back to Flash 2

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html
  • Reply 22 of 57
    icrizzoicrizzo Posts: 9member
    I have had my MacBook Air for about 5 months now and I still haven't installed Flash!
  • Reply 23 of 57
    I just rebuilt my work system (Win7 64-bit)....

The very first website I browsed to after installation wanted to install Flash.

I refused. I will not install Flash on my work system.

Is it annoying going to websites only to see that 'Not all content may be available'? Sure.

But not as annoying as the almost DAILY update notifications for Flash.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Damn. I guess I better find a way to remote manage Wyse thin clients to maintain HDX Flash mediastream compatibility for Citrix.

This is always a problem. The client and server must mactch versions for HDX to work...
  • Reply 25 of 57
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Don't wait for Adobe to get off their sweet asses. Delete your flash cookies now.

Go to http://www.macromedia.com/support/do...manager06.html

and click the "Delete all sites" button.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Damn. I guess I better find a way to remote manage Wyse thin clients to maintain HDX Flash mediastream compatibility for Citrix.

This is always a problem. The client and server must mactch versions for HDX to work...

You must "love" Flash even more than the rest of us.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Apple, please buy Adobe and finally put a fatal bullet into this POS product. and throw out the bums running the company.

I think Adobe should be given some credit. it would have been easy to dismiss the Apple platforms after Jobs' comments last year, but instead Flash on the Mac has improved dramatically.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    emceeenemceeen Posts: 2member
    It's seems Adobe is trying hard to ingrain the worst of Microsoft's culture into their own, even as Microsoft begins to cross the 21st century line. "In the past, Mac users often had trouble keeping up with Flash Player" demonstrates the blinder mentality at the company as it seems everyone outside Adobe understands the huge deficiencies of Flash. I guess Windows users have no trouble keeping up with Flash because it requires an update EVERY OTHER DAY! And yes it does crash Safari, especially in Windows (I'm forced to use it at work).

Apple, please purchase Adobe but don't just fire the head honchos; make their software usable and affordable.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emceeen View Post

Apple, please purchase Adobe but don't just fire the head honchos; make their software usable and affordable.

Why would Apple want to buy Adobe? That would be like tying a mill stone around their neck. If Apple was to buy Adobe they would be legally required to maintain the Windows version of CS and Acrobat. That is the last thing they want. Far better is to do what they did with Randy Ubillos, just hire the key personnel away from Adobe to help create competing products. I would love to see Thomas Knoll work for Apple, although I'm sure his contract is pretty restrictive.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

You must "love" Flash even more than the rest of us.

I don't love Flash but I really prefer video on sites like sportsillustrated.com and yahoo.com over the missing plug-in icon.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They’ve gotten better at using resources on Mac OS but it’s still not very good. Plus, I really hate the archaic 8-bit-looking setting option they have when you right-click on Flash. Silverlight looks modern with native Aqua app interface. I’d rather see that than have a browser plug-in be sitting in my System Preferences.

Apple, please don’t waste your money on Adobe.

Do you know if it was the Adobe Flash updates last time around or a Mac OS update that broke the one and only useful product from Real, 'RealPlayer Downloader'? Any working alternatives around?
  • Reply 32 of 57
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Not many sites will serve up HTML5 animations/applications as alternate content.

I don't know what sites you go to, but I find this to be nearly completely incorrect. Granted, it's only been about a week since I've removed Flash, but other than static ads in places where it used to be annoying animated Flash garbage, nearly every site I visit looks the same. The only real difference is web pages loading much faster because they don't need to download all the Flash content.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I find the best way is to disable Flash altogether and then specifically uninstall it. Most sites will then give you HTML 5 content.

Then enable Safari's Develop menu, and install a copy of Chrome (I know, but it won't burn your eyes to use it for the occasional webpage).

When you find the odd page that has inescapable Flash elements, simply go Develop > Open Page with ... and pick Chrome. The page opens instantly in Chrome and you can see the content, click off the window when you are done and go back to a proper browser.

Best of both worlds.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

That is a good tip, I didn't know that. I just tried it out with the new version of Firefox, which I trust more then Chrome, and it works there as well.

However, I guess the previous posters method of uninstalling Flash wouldn't work using Firefox because Firefox relies on the same plugin as Safari uses, and Chrome has Flash built in.

Perhaps not for Firefox, but apparently OmniWeb and iCab can have their own copy of Flash separate from Safari. So you can uninstall it from Safari but have it for other browsers if you don't like Google/Chrome's autoupdate mechanism.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/12/remov...mac/#continued
  • Reply 33 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I don't know what sites you go to, but I find this to be nearly completely incorrect. Granted, it's only been about a week since I've removed Flash, but other than static ads in places where it used to be annoying animated Flash garbage, nearly every site I visit looks the same. The only real difference is web pages loading much faster because they don't need to download all the Flash content.

Perhaps not for Firefox, but apparently OmniWeb and iCab can have their own copy of Flash separate from Safari. So you can uninstall it from Safari but have it for other browsers if you don't like Google/Chrome's autoupdate mechanism.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/12/remov...mac/#continued

ClicktoFlash is by far the best option for keeping Flash out of the way unless absolutely needed.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I would not consider a static ad or rotating animated gif to be alternate HTML5 content but granted I had not considered ads at all when I made my post. I don't see any ads whatsoever since installing Ghostery.

I was referring to the rather rare inclusion of HTML5 interactive application elements as a conditional content delivery along with traditional Flash applications with equivalent features. If there actually was such a thing then you would think that the developers would automatically send the HTML5 content if the browser was capable where your assessment is that they default to Flash instead even if the browser is capable of HTML5.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Another great update from Adobe - they are also promising JSON support in future versions.

If they keep up this pace of development and quality, I think a lot of companies will see little reason to change their entire workflows and invest in the training required for staff to be able to produce the same results using alternative technologies such as HTML5 and CSS3.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This the direction Flash should be going. Back to full featured applications that are far beyond the scope of HTML5. While Adobe has been the default video player for several years it has been mostly due to the fragmentation of browsers and video plugins. Unfortunately that baby sitting job must continue a while longer since Apple, Mozilla and Google are all headed in different directions regarding video playback.

I really want to see some wow factor applications built in Flash, stuff that can never be built in HTML so that it becomes clear what Flash should be used for. Too bad about mobile. Flash just needs too much juice for that platform.

Flash works fine on my Droid 2 Global and my MacBook Pro from last year in terms of battery. Although it needs the NVIDIA card on to run video smoothly on OS X, which seems like a bug or design flaw.

And it does crash a lot on MacOS and Android.

mstone great point about being the video player of choice. I agree, Flash is wasteful when playing video and it would be nice if Google/MS/Apple/Mozilla would cooperate with a video codec. In fact, I would say QuickTime used to be the solution before Microsoft fudged it all up with their crappy Windows Media junk and monopolistic behavior. Honestly it would be nice for QT to just be the standard, but MS will never accept that. Also it would be awesome to have QT on Android. Not sure whether Apple won't release it to punish Google, or what.

Also you make a good point that Flash is capable of a lot more than HTML5 and is much easier to design for currently. Flash produces apps that just work. At least, when the Player is behaving.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

ClicktoFlash is by far the best option for keeping Flash out of the way unless absolutely needed.

+1 more vote for ClickToFlash. While I love what Flash can do, I sure hate Flash ads!
  • Reply 38 of 57
    mikemomikemo Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Just what we need - a pop up reminder that we are using Adobe's POS.

Exactly. Java and Flash notifications are seriously annoying on windows. I don't want that on my Mac.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin;1863712

[url

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/12/removing-flash-from-your-mac/#continued[/url]

Thank you for that link, I had taken Flash off my computer completely using Chrome when I had to see something in Flash, but found Chrome more annoying than Flash could be. Thanks to this link, I now have OmiWeb as the only browser running Flash. It is amazing that Flash makes Silverlight seem like a god-send (html 5 video works best, but we know that it isn't everywhere just yet), so Silverlight is currently the plugin that is superior for video. FWTW I have taken Flash off of all the websites I create (have 30+ clients), don't miss it a bit. Just was contacted by someone who wanted their website that was totally in Flash to be updated. I looked at their site on my iPad2, it was completely a black screen. I did tell them that I don't work with Flash anymore and if they want it ported to html 5 to call me, otherwise I couldn't help them.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Flash crashes my Safari browser 5-10 time a day. I also love how Flash often takes 100% cpu time on a 2.7ghz I7. Worst program ever.

Flash needs to die. The faster the better.

Apple should buy Adobe just to make them stop making Flash.

I've heard this before. But on my iMac G5 (PPC) from 2004, I've never had a problem with Safari/flash like this (excessive CPU time or crashing).

Worrisome that modern multi-core CPU's with 10x the speed/capacity can be brought to their knees by something that works fine on an old system.

With the no-glare, no yellow, no banding, no spot screen and no weird performance halting problems, it's hard to see an upgrade motivation even after 7 years. I use the latest MacBook at work and it doesn't seem like that big a difference.