Apple rumored to release 'iPhone 4S' with T-Mobile, Sprint support in Sept.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 117
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I have just one feature request for the iPhone 4S: a real camera flash. The current white LED is a miserable flash resulting in miserable photos at night. With a real flash on an iphone I could finally get rid of my dedicated digital camera.

I second that. I'd also like an 18-200 mm vibration reduction lens on it, so I could get rid of MY digital camera. I don't see why Apple keeps holding out on us.
  • Reply 22 of 117
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I think if you look at it from Apple's point of view though an "iPhone 4s" for the fifth generation phone makes sense. So far, the only limit on sales has been production and supply. There doesn't seem to me to be a good reason why they have to worry about what the market wants or whether they would sell more with this that or the other wiz-bang feature like bigger screens etc. People line up for whatever they release and pay a premium to get it.

I think you're misunderstanding how consumer choice works. Really screwing up why people buy iPhones. I mean really... is that what you did for the 4 iPhones you bought? Ignored the details of what you were buying and bought just because Apple was selling it?
  • Reply 23 of 117
    iOS is old and outdated, its all about Android.

Android Rules.
  • Reply 24 of 117
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    I don't believe any report that claims it's called the "iPhone 4S." There have been four iPhones, the original, the 3G, the 3GS and the iPhone 4. The next one is either the iPhone 5 or something else entirely. It won't have a "4" in it. That's stupid.
  • Reply 25 of 117
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Apple realizes that most people are on 2 year contracts. The 4S will be a big enough improvement over the 4 to grab most 3GS owners and attract new customers. Based on recent history I'd pick Apple's strategy over that of anyone else.

I agree. It will be interesting to see what the new phone really ends up like but all of this seems doable. I have upgraded every time so I probably will this time as well. I did wait for the iPad2 however.
  • Reply 26 of 117
    forcequitforcequit Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by some internet dude View Post

Android Rules.

Chuckles. That's sooo cute!
  • Reply 27 of 117
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

There is no such thing as a "proper" iPhone 5.

Remember, the iPhone 4 is the only phone they've released to date where the number matches the phone generation.

And the next one will probably continue that "trend".

The second iPhone was called 3G because it supported 3G, so they couldn't name the third iPhone the iPhone 3 since that sounds older than 3G.

I believe that they will call them iPhone 5, 6, 7 and so on - still with nothing more than iPhone printed on the phone itself, just as a MacBook is a MacBook.
  • Reply 28 of 117
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    4G chips are probably too power hungry for a fixed-battery phone.

In other news, Apple lost to Kodak.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05..._versus_apple/
  • Reply 29 of 117
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Sounds like it will be to iPhone 4 what iPhone 3GS was to iPhone 3G.

I would assume it will be incremental, and iPhone 5 will be next year and "revolutionary" or "magical", or whatever Jobs word of the day is!

Jobs won't be around in a year. I will probably wait for the iPhone 5, nonetheless.
  • Reply 30 of 117
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I think you're misunderstanding how consumer choice works. Really screwing up why people buy iPhones. I mean really... is that what you did for the 4 iPhones you bought? Ignored the details of what you were buying and bought just because Apple was selling it?

I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here. I just stated the obvious fact that the phones are selling like crazy and that the only limiting factor on the sales so far is availability and production issues.

These are facts. I stated them.

Personally, I make rational choices when I buy something, but if you know anything about consumer behaviour you should know that by far the majority of people actually don't do that. Your (wry) remark about the way I might pick a phone is actually a pretty accurate description of how most consumers really shop.

People do in fact generally just buy what they think is "cool" or what everyone else is buying, or what the advertisers are pushing, and don't actually sit down and rationally work out what they need and then go looking for a product to match. Most people don't even comparison shop. This has all been known for years. You've obviously never worked in advertising or sales.
  • Reply 31 of 117
    cwscws Posts: 59member
    The fact that Apple is making only incremental hardware enhancements reflects the fact that the platform is maturing, and this is not a bad thing. In fact, it would be counterproductive to change the technical specifications just to keep up with fashion, as it would add to hardware costs, and create needless work for the developer community, e.g. to adapt their apps to new display dimensions.

The real value from this point forward will come from software, and Apple is preparing to knock the ball out of the park in that area, with powerful voice control and voice-to-text features, cloud services seamlessly integrated, and new IOS apps on par with the amazing iMovie, GarageBand, and iWork apps they have already released.

When 4G networks are truly deployed, Apple will be there with the hardware to support them. Until then, their focus is in exactly the right place: IMPROVING USER EXPERIENCE, while making only those hardware changes that really matter, such as increasing processor speed and battery life.
  • Reply 32 of 117
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Unless you don't want to be locked into the contract, I don't know why you wouldn't update. You will be able to sell your current phone for more then you will have to pay for the update. Even going from the 3G to 3GS (where the body remained the same), the better camera and processor made it worthwhile.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post

Good, I can finally skip an upgrade. The bigger news will probably be at WWDC (3 weeks away).

• Reply 33 of 117
    mmtm1983mmtm1983 Posts: 31member
    Right iPhone 4S.............mmmmummmmmmummmm

Dont think they'll call it that, but may go with the specs married with something new to give it some weight, why i say this is iOS 5 is on the horizon, it be bad marketing for a new phone with the number 4 with software stating 5 at the same time, i think we will see the iPhone 5 guys with iOS 5 too.....

For release date Apple big on Jan/Apr/July/Oct for big launches, so i think July is when the phone be made public, but there might be a delayed launch date, as they have done this before, which could be the following 2 months in Aug/Sep

M
  • Reply 34 of 117
    Apple has GOT to make the next iPhone a world phone. This would be the single best reason to upgrade imho. Anything less would be a disappointment.
  • Reply 35 of 117
    Quote:

Android Rules the cheap market.

Fixed that for you.

OTH, I'll upgrade my 3GS with whatever coming next. If next year's radical enough I'll upgrade that one too otherwise 5S methink.
  • Reply 36 of 117
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:

More accurately, virtually every Android device in consumers' hands is running an outdated version of the OS. As for iOS devices, most are running the latest major point release if not the very latest version.
  • Reply 37 of 117
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    Will the Sprint phone support both voice & data at the same time?

Just wondering....

-IQ78
  • Reply 38 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    A5 SoC/PoP, HSPA+ with higher HSUPA, and RFID in the same package would be enough for me to want to upgrade early.
  • Reply 39 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQ78 View Post

Will the Sprint phone support both voice & data at the same time?

Just wondering....

-IQ78

Nope, same boat as Verizon. SInce Sprint?s 4G is WiMAX instead of LTE it?s even possible that Verizon will get simultaneous voice and data before Sprint.
  • Reply 40 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by conundrumz View Post

Apple has GOT to make the next iPhone a world phone. This would be the single best reason to upgrade imho. Anything less would be a disappointment.

1) It has been a requirement so far and they take half the world?s handset profits.

2) Have you ever seen such a small smartphone be a world phone or know that the HW needed extends past the Qualcomm Gobi chipset? There is also an issue of the battery life for a less efficient chipset that Gobi has shown to be. That?s just for starters...