Apple rumored to release 'iPhone 4S' with T-Mobile, Sprint support in Sept.

Comments

• Reply 41 of 117
    la2000la2000 Posts: 4member
    Perhaps I am reading the article incorrectly, but what I get is that this is not a phone upgrade at all, its a phone designed to unify the product line and expand the number of carriers. Period. It's just Apple improving its business model and streamlining the product line with a few quick and easy, modest improvements. The point of the 4S is to sell phones to customers who don't currently have access to the iPhone on their carrier. If you already have a 4, this phone won't really improve on that phone and it is not designed to replace a 4. The whole point is to unify the product line across all carriers (so that the phone you buy at Verizon will be the same phone you buy at Sprint) and expand to all major carriers so that Apple can continue to grow the market.

Apparently they have decided to do this in lieu of a major product refresh. It's not a stupid plan. The bottom line will continue to show growing sales via new carriers, and when the sexy, new 5 comes out, they will be able to simultaneously sell out via all major carriers and encourage upgrades across the board. They are basically creating pent up demand for 5 without impacting their current bottom line.

So if there is a big announcement about 4S, it won't be to encourage an upgrade, it will be to announce the new carriers.
  • Reply 42 of 117
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by some internet dude View Post

Android Rules.

Yes there are.

But you forgot to list them.

Here are some of them:

Android Rules:

1) You must give your personal information to Google.

2) You cannot upgrade the OS on your Android device.

3) You must deal with fragmentation.

4) You must deal with the crapware the carrier puts on your phone.

5) the list goes on and on.... lots of Android rules.

• Reply 43 of 117
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LA2000 View Post

Perhaps I am reading the article incorrectly, but what I get is that this is not a phone upgrade at all, its a phone designed to unify the product line and expand the number of carriers. Period. It's just Apple improving its business model and streamlining the product line with a few quick and easy, modest improvements. The point of the 4S is to sell phones to customers who don't currently have access to the iPhone on their carrier. If you already have a 4, this phone won't really improve on that phone and it is not designed to replace a 4. The whole point is to unify the product line across all carriers (so that the phone you buy at Verizon will be the same phone you buy at Sprint) and expand to all major carriers so that Apple can continue to grow the market.

Apparently they have decided to do this in lieu of a major product refresh. It's not a stupid plan. The bottom line will continue to show growing sales via new carriers, and when the sexy, new 5 comes out, they will be able to simultaneously sell out via all major carriers and encourage upgrades across the board. They are basically creating pent up demand for 5 without impacting their current bottom line.

So if there is a big announcement about 4S, it won't be to encourage an upgrade, it will be to announce the new carriers.

I dunno about this.

I upgraded from the original iPhone to the the 3GS. I'll be upgrading to the 4S (or whatever they call it). Getting a retina display, A5 processor, and more memory are sufficient for me.

As was pointed out, most people (such as myself) are on a 2-year upgrade plan. A lot of us, even though we may have qualified for the iP4 several months ago, are holding out for the next gen iP. I couldn't see upgrading from an iP4 to an iP4S any more than I could see upgrading from a iP3G to an iP3GS, but from a iP3GS to an iP4GS, it makes a *whole* lot of sense.
  • Reply 44 of 117
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Unless you don't want to be locked into the contract, I don't know why you wouldn't update. You will be able to sell your current phone for more then you will have to pay for the update. Even going from the 3G to 3GS (where the body remained the same), the better camera and processor made it worthwhile.

Right, the 3G to the 3GS was a great upgrade - so much nicer. Actually, for me 3G to 3GS was more noticeable than 3GS to 4. The screen is way better on the 4, but I'm getting far-sighted, so it's a wash.
  • Reply 45 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple reportedly hoped to have LTE chips ready for its next iPhone, but the performance of current products is said to not meet Apple's standards. Instead, the company will rely on its backup plan phone, dubbed the "iPhone 4S."

1_ I'm a little tired of every new product or upgrade there's some story of how Apple wanted to do this or that but due to this or that reason they couldn't do it. I understand things happen out of ones control, but this is ALL the time. Why can't Apple manage these better or plan far enough ahead? Next iPad 3 will have something that was planned but due to something it won't happen and people will need to wait for iPad 4. Every other maker can squeeze in a 4G/LTE or whatever thingamabob why can't Cupertino?

2_ Guess I'm holding onto my 3GS for another year, I refuse to buy another .5 item like the 3GS as much as I like it, but for once I want a fully new product. This "4S" is VERY disappointing to me. Oh well, I guess another 15-16 months of waiting won't kill me (I hope, knock on wood).
  • Reply 46 of 117
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

More accurately, virtually every Android device in consumers' hands is running an outdated version of the OS. As for iOS devices, most are running the latest major point release if not the very latest version.

BEST COMEBACK EVER!!!
  • Reply 47 of 117
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

1_ I'm a little tired of every new product or upgrade there's some story of how Apple wanted to do this or that but due to this or that reason they couldn't do it. I understand things happen out of ones control, but this is ALL the time. Why can't Apple manage these better or plan far enough ahead? Next iPad 3 will have something that was planned but due to something it won't happen and people will need to wait for iPad 4. Every other maker can squeeze in a 4G/LTE or whatever thingamabob why can't Cupertino?

2_ Guess I'm holding onto my 3GS for another year, I refuse to buy another .5 item like the 3GS as much as I like it, but for once I want a fully new product. This "4S" is VERY disappointing to me. Oh well, I guess another 15-16 months of waiting won't kill me (I hope, knock on wood).

Diappointing compared to what? To each his/her own I guess. For me, going from a 3GS to a 4GS makes perfect sense. Better camera, processor, HSPA+ etc, etc.. There is not many more hardware features that i would want in a pocket phone. LTE IMO is overrated, give me better coverage instead(I'm no power user though). IMO again, apple needs to pick up their game on the software features side of things. But even there, geesh there's only so much that this form factor makes sense to use.
  • Reply 48 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

There is no such thing as a "proper" iPhone 5.

Remember, the iPhone 4 is the only phone they've released to date where the number matches the phone generation. The 5th gen iPhone will be whatever they release next.

Whether it's called "iPhone 4s" or "iPhone 6 XP special edition" is irrelevant.

Thank you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ny3ranger View Post

This would work for me too only if its a world phone. That way when you can use it internationally. And I wish you could use data roaming in the usa without paying extra.

Sprint all ready has it where data roaming is free. I tested that myself back whn I had my BlackBerry. :P If iPhone 4S on Sprint, then the iPhone will finally be on the best network.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nope, same boat as Verizon. SInce Sprint?s 4G is WiMAX instead of LTE it?s even possible that Verizon will get simultaneous voice and data before Sprint.

It's possible Sprint will be using LTE sometime next year. They all easy hinted at using both WiMAX and LTE.
  • Reply 49 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

It's possible Sprint will be using LTE sometime next year. They all easy hinted at using both WiMAX and LTE.

I?m hopeful they and ClearWire can make the transition but I am also doubtful it will be as easy as they have stated.
  • Reply 50 of 117
    dullbladedullblade Posts: 28member
    Doesn't matter to me what is in the next iphone, i'll be upgrading. We have 2x iphone 3g still. We live in an area that didn't have 3g coverage until just 5 months ago, so we contemplated on switching to Verizon. Since the coverage upgrade, I didn't have any reason to switch to Verizon, so we just kept what we got. Now I have upgrade fever, seeing all my coworkers with their iphone 4.

I might just end up upgrading mine now, and then my wife's next year, but take her upgrade, and she can have my hand me down iphone 4s/5.

Hope she ain't reading this...
  • Reply 51 of 117
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Diappointing compared to what? To each his/her own I guess. For me, going from a 3GS to a 4GS makes perfect sense. Better camera, processor, HSPA+ etc, etc.. There is not many more hardware features that i would want in a pocket phone. LTE IMO is overrated, give me better coverage instead(I'm no power user though). IMO again, apple needs to pick up their game on the software features side of things. But even there, geesh there's only so much that this form factor makes sense to use.

Heh... he wants a phone that has every available feature at the time with no missing feature that's 6-9 months before it's time So essentially he wants progress in technology to stop, so he can feel like the phone that he buys will not be behind the technology that comes out half a year later. He's dreaming, clearly.
  • Reply 52 of 117
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Mother of God, please let this be true!

I'm due for a new phone in July and it looked like I'd be forced to buy some piece of shit iPhone-wannabe Android phone, but if this rumor of an iPhone to Sprint is true, I'll happily wait two more months to get it.
  • Reply 53 of 117
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Yes there are.

But you forgot to list them.

Here are some of them:

Android Rules:

1) You must give your personal information to Google.

2) You cannot upgrade the OS on your Android device.

3) You must deal with fragmentation.

4) You must deal with the crapware the carrier puts on your phone.

5) the list goes on and on.... lots of Android rules.

You forgot the big one: You must learn to accept that the Android Marketplace is loaded with viruses and worthless wallpaper apps.
  • Reply 54 of 117
    sciwizsciwiz Posts: 77member
    Quote:

Nope, same boat as Verizon. SInce Sprint?s 4G is WiMAX instead of LTE it?s even possible that Verizon will get simultaneous voice and data before Sprint.

Verizon already has simultaneous voice and data on HTC Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 55 of 117
    Quote:

I?m hopeful they and ClearWire can make the transition but I am also doubtful it will be as easy as they have stated.

WiMAX and LTE is pretty much the same technology. However last rumor I heard sprint was considering going to light squared for lte.
  • Reply 56 of 117
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

I wonder if there is any chance at all this would happen in July?

\

I doubt these two, if they are real, would be in July. If only to spread out the chaos a little.

I could see Jobs doing an announcement from campus a week or two after WWDC for the hardware with two dates. One say mid or late July for ATT and Verizon and another say late August for Sprint and Tmobile
  • Reply 57 of 117
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    It will ship on other gsm carriers in June/July. iPhone 5 in June 2012. Same screen and chasis, upgraded internals. Thats why suppliers have no news/leaks about a bigger screen etc etc.
  • Reply 58 of 117
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

Verizon already has simultaneous voice and data on HTC Thunderbolt.

Well, could not find much on the web as too how, but appears they are using two radios which results in a 3 hour battery life when surfing the web etc. For a low usage person like myself, this might work. But for heavy users... That's why you have to carry spare batteries.
  • Reply 59 of 117
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I think you're misunderstanding how consumer choice works. Really screwing up why people buy iPhones. I mean really... is that what you did for the 4 iPhones you bought? Ignored the details of what you were buying and bought just because Apple was selling it?

Trust in apple

ps

I love your sig

• Reply 60 of 117
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post

Right, the 3G to the 3GS was a great upgrade - so much nicer. Actually, for me 3G to 3GS was more noticeable than 3GS to 4. The screen is way better on the 4, but I'm getting far-sighted, so it's a wash.

Yes, memories are short and perceptions are shallow in the Internet age. The 3G to 3GS was, despite the fact that the form factor remained stable, a pretty significant upgrade to the iPhone.