Apple seeds new Mac OS X Lion preview with Reading List, Mission Control

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple has seeded a new beta build, dubbed Developer Preview 3, of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, the next major update to the company's flagship operating system, enabling the Reading List feature and adding a dedicated app for the Mission Control window management feature.

The Cupertino, Calif., Mac maker seeded the 1.07GB Developer Preview 3 update to developers on Friday, according to people familiar with the matter. Apple first released Developer Preview 2 in March, eventually issuing several incremental updates (1, 2) to the beta in April.

In addition to the Mac OS X 10.7 build, Apple also issued Xcode 4.1 Developer Preview 5, a pre-release version of the Mac OS X development environment.

Changes in Developer Preview 3 for Mac OS X Lion include: "a new boot animation, new graphical elements in the Finder's toolbar, new desktop wallpapers and the Reading List, now enabled in Safari," MacStories reports. The Reading List feature, which allows a user to collect webpages and links to read later, was uncovered within earlier developer builds of Lion, but this is the first build where the feature is enabled.

It's All Tech also reports several changes including:

New Reminders menu in iCal

New next desktop button in Dashboard space

New options when right-clicking (this appears to be buggy at this time)

Compatibility to external displays has been improved( especially in Mission Control)

Developers also report that the update now includes a standalone application for the Mission Control feature. Previously, Mission Control could be activated via a multitouch gesture or keyboard shortcut.

Users can now add "desktops" via a plus button and close spaces from within Mission Control. Also, users will see thumbnail magnifications when hovering over desktop thumbnails.

Additionally, Dan Bennet reports that the login screen for Mac OS X Lion has changed to a much more polished metallic-finish page that displays a clock, wireless signal and battery indicator.

Apple will preview Mac OS X 10.7 Lion at its sold-out Worldwide Developers Conference from June 6 through June 10. The upgrade is slated for release this summer.

For more information on upcoming changes in Mac OS X Lion, see AppleInsider's in-depth series: Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. Recent features include:

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to support 450 Mbps WiFi on 2011 Thunderbolt MacBook Pro, iMacs

Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: Safari adds iPad-like Downloads menu

Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: Developer Preview 3 dials down animated tabs

Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: iTunes screen saver controls music playback

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to add Office file viewing, new text and signature annotation

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: new multitouch gestures, Dock integration for Exposé, Launchpad, Mission Control

Comments

• Reply 1 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    These updates sound like good "finishing touch" inclusions. Of course, I hope the stability is improved along with the odd occasional pausing and speeding up that QuickTime does whilst playing a video.

PS: Is this officially Preview 3 or the 3rd update to Preview 2. I ask because it’s coming through Softwarer Updater again, not through the Mac App Store via a redeem code.
  • Reply 2 of 96
    joshongjoshong Posts: 51member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: Is this officially Preview 3 or the 3rd update to Preview 2. I ask because it?s coming through Softwarer Updater again, not through the Mac App Store via a redeem code.

There are conflicting reports, but it looks like it's labeled as an update to Preview 2 in Software Update while release notes call it Developer Preview 3.
  • Reply 3 of 96
    I have the developer preview 2, but the preview 3 wasn't available for the update.
  • Reply 4 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshong View Post

There are conflicting reports, but it looks like it's labeled as an update to Preview 2 in Software Update while release notes call it Developer Preview 3.

From Software Updater: The Lion Developer Preview Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 2.

From Apple?s dev site: Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 3 is now available via Software Update for systems running developer preview 2 update 2.

It makes me think that Preview 3 started with the very first update to Preview 2 via the Software Updater, but that seems odd. I reinstalled Lion Preview 2 last week and had to install each of the 1GB updates via Software Updaters so I?d expect that any version number would ether be applied to the whole thing or not at all.

Anyway, at least Xcode isn?t as convoluted: Xcode 4.1 Developer Preview 5
  • Reply 5 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dataquent View Post

I have the developer preview 2, but the preview 3 wasn't available for the update.

You haven?t seen any 1GB-ish updates to Preview 2 in Software Update?
  • Reply 6 of 96
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:

These updates sound like good "finishing touch" inclusions. Of course, I hope the stability is improved along with the odd occasional pausing and speeding up that QuickTime does whilst playing a video.

PS: Is this officially Preview 3 or the 3rd update to Preview 2. I ask because it?s coming through Softwarer Updater again, not through the Mac App Store via a redeem code.

I got an email from Apple today stressing the fact that I shouldn't use Software Updater to acquire this release as they wanted testers to check out how viable and "user friendly" the download from the App Store worked. Since I haven't received their download code yet, I haven't tried this out.

I don't know if this update method has been requested of all Appleseeders or not.

In the email, Apple refers to it as, "Lion Developer Preview Update." Not even a build number.
  • Reply 7 of 96
    mbarriaultmbarriault Posts: 237member
    Any video around yet of the new boot animation?
  • Reply 8 of 96
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Obviously a bug, but the entire "Spaces" tab is no longer found in System Preferences...

It also seems "Expose" is being completely replaced by "Mission Control," as the name of the former is disappearing.

Also, it seems "Automatically reorder Spaces" is new, though I'm unsure how it works.
  • Reply 9 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

I got an email from Apple today stressing the fact that I shouldn't use Software Updater to acquire this release as they wanted testers to check out how viable and "user friendly" the download from the App Store worked. Since I haven't received their download code yet, I haven't tried this out.

I don't know if this update method has been requested of all Appleseeders or not.

In the email, Apple refers to it as, "Lion Developer Preview Update." Not even a build number.

I have not a clue what you are speaking of. The only way I now of to get the updates to Preview 2 are from Software Update. The only two options for redeem codes games for Preview 1 and Preview 2. Preview 2 can be installed independently of Preview 1, but the updates in Software Update will only show up after you have installed Preview 2 and will appear in consecutive order after each has been downloaded, installed and you?ve restarted.
  • Reply 10 of 96
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:

With no disrespect intended, does it matter?
  • Reply 11 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

With no disrespect intended, does it matter?

Does obvious and clear nomenclature and classifications help facilitate easier and better communications? I certainly think so.

(This assumes you are referring to my post script, not my desire for better stability and usability with QucikTime.)
  • Reply 12 of 96
    cougarcougar Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Any video around yet of the new boot animation?

http://www.9to5mac.com/66858/mac-os-...llpapers-more/
  • Reply 13 of 96

Thanks.

That login looks like the back of a Mac. I think we?ll be hearing some complaints about it. I do like they are incorporating smoother transitions between views. I wonder how a larger CoverFlow version of user names might work?

I assume those clock images are pulling from favicon. If they are going to be that big we?re going to need a larger favicon from which to pull. Apple may have already created a solution with their iPhone WebClip icon options. Those are 57x57 PNGs.
  • Reply 14 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Obviously a bug, but the entire "Spaces" tab is no longer found in System Preferences...

It also seems "Expose" is being completely replaced by "Mission Control," as the name of the former is disappearing.

Also, it seems "Automatically reorder Spaces" is new, though I'm unsure how it works.

That's not a bug. Like stated in the article, you can now add/subtract spaces within Mission Control (I guess that explains the last option in the system prefs window).
  • Reply 15 of 96
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewturkko View Post

That's not a bug. Like stated in the article, you can now add/subtract spaces within Mission Control (I guess that explains the last option in the system prefs window).

Hmm... Seems like it would be a non-discoverable feature for new users, though. Especially since the System Preferences window still calls it "Expose & SPACES." They'll probably rename that in DP4.
  • Reply 16 of 96
    edit: Pipped by Quillz.
  • Reply 17 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Hmm... Seems like it would be a non-discoverable feature for new users, though. Especially since the System Preferences window still calls it "Expose & SPACES." They'll probably rename that in DP4.

Probably, but the funny thing is that it takes Apple multiple tries to get something like this fixed, when people like us, not even employed by Apple, could practically notice these things with a blindfold on. Apple's a great incorporation, don't get me wrong, but little things like this make me question, "Are people really that stupid? Really?". Haha, it's not as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be, but still, seems kind of silly to me.

edit: I then thought after posting this, probably not, hence the last option. They could rename the preference panel to "Mission Control" though. Stupid me, or should I say, stupid person for suggesting the renaming. Haha, joking.
  • Reply 18 of 96
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:

Probably, but the funny thing is that it takes Apple multiple tries to get something like this fixed, when people like us, not even employed by Apple, could practically notice these things with a blindfold on. Apple's a great incorporation, don't get me wrong, but little things like this make me question, "Are people really that stupid? Really?". Haha, it's not as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be, but still, seems kind of silly to me.

I think it's just that there are bigger issues than the naming of things. Something that will happen later when bigger problems are solved.
  • Reply 19 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

I think it's just that there are bigger issues than the naming of things. Something that will happen later when bigger problems are solved.

So the most obvious bugs and/or simplest bugs to fix are the last to be fixed? That makes plenty of sense.
  • Reply 20 of 96
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:

So the most obvious bugs and/or simplest bugs to fix are the last to be fixed? That makes plenty of sense.

Yes and no.

The bugs that are causing the least trouble, obvious or not, are always going to be the last to have resources dedicated to them. That's how it is in the software development world, go for the biggies, then go back and get the rest, and we all know that with an OS, as complicated as it is, there are a LOT of bugs (unseen or not) during the development phase.