Apple seeds new Mac OS X Lion preview with Reading List, Mission Control

Comments

• Reply 21 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewturkko View Post

So the most obvious bugs and/or simplest bugs to fix are the last to be fixed? That makes plenty of sense.

The difficulty could lie elsewhere. Note that the Exposé & Spaces window still mentions Spaces three times in the pane. Perhaps it?s better to rename is Exposé & Mission Control with a section that deals with the spaces attributes of Mission Control, but that is just one option and probably not something that should be changed with every single update to this Beta until they get it right. A better option might be to just leave it until a proper think tank can figure out the best option moving forward. I?d wager that isn?t the most pressing issue so they might be holding off on figuring out exactly how the Panel will be sorted and named until they get all the Mission Control features in place. At least.. that?s what I?d do.
  • Reply 22 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You haven’t seen any 1GB-ish updates to Preview 2 in Software Update?

"Software Update doesn’t have any new software for your computer at this time."

Running Build 11A444D
  • Reply 23 of 96
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:

Does obvious and clear nomenclature and classifications help facilitate easier and better communications? I certainly think so.

(This assumes you are referring to my post script, not my desire for better stability and usability with QucikTime.)

Yes I meant the postscript. Fair point about clear communication. I just meant to say that it doesn't really matter whether this is Preview 3 or Preview 9.3 as long as everyone's on the same page
  • Reply 24 of 96
    I'm surprised how buggy LaunchPad still is when trying to arrange icons. Makes me wonder if they're going to be able to get it right.
  • Reply 25 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dataquent View Post

Running Build 11A444D

That’s the build I’m running with the two updates from Software Update. The original Lion Preview 2 build is 11A419, which also what’s currently listed on Apple’s developer site, After the first update via Software Update it became build 11A430e.

But that begs the question why isn’t the third update for Preview 2 being listed in your Software Update? Are you a paid dev or do you DL it from an alternative source?
  • Reply 26 of 96
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dataquent View Post

Running Build 11A444D

That's odd, I ran Software Update and it showed up fine for me:

That's the most recent build. Try running Software Update again, or see if you can download it directly from ADC.
  • Reply 27 of 96
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewturkko View Post

So the most obvious bugs and/or simplest bugs to fix are the last to be fixed? That makes plenty of sense.

Of course it does...

Consider a pending OS release.

If there is a bug that causes the system to crash frequently, one that no one knows how exactly it is triggered

would you rather have your team of programmers work on THAT, or fix the obvious/simplest bugs like a wrong icon in a toolbar or a misplaced label?

You can always do the small/obvious stuff in a rush later, but if the big stuff is not out the way before the launch day you are screwed.
  • Reply 28 of 96
    Those that want to save their updates can find them in /Library/Updates/*/LionSWUpdate.pkg. Just make sure you 1) copy it after it’s DLed but before you click to restart and install, and 2) name it accordingly because all these updates are named the same.
  • Reply 29 of 96
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

I'm surprised how buggy LaunchPad still is when trying to arrange icons. Makes me wonder if they're going to be able to get it right.

All that buggy part could be just one line of code in a function, for all we know...
  • Reply 30 of 96
    Quote:

That?s the build I?m running with the two updates from Software Update. The original Lion Preview 2 build is 11A419, which also what?s currently listed on Apple?s developer site, After the first update via Software Update it became build 11A430e.

But that begs the question why isn?t the third update for Preview 2 being listed in your Software Update? Are you a paid dev or do you DL it from an alternative source?

Alternative source for the first preview. Perhaps that's it.\
  • Reply 31 of 96
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    You know, if Spaces is now being handled by Mission Control, how does one now get an application to be limited to just one Space? Before, you had a Spaces window in System Preferences and you dragged the apps you wanted onto the specific space. I can't figure out how to do that now via Mission Control.
  • Reply 32 of 96
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    When they put the new wallpapers in you know they're close to done.
  • Reply 33 of 96
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    OK seriously can somebody tell me why I should upgrade to Lion? All this interface stuff is getting quite kitschy. As a long-time Mac user, I'm not seeing the value here. For new users, well, I don't know if it will make things any easier or more iOS-like. Clearly Steve is not personally overseeing this project.
  • Reply 34 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

When they put the new wallpapers in you know they're close to done.

Bingo. I think that's tomorrow. What a way to end the greatest operating system ever made popular and successful.
  • Reply 35 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

OK seriously can somebody tell me why I should upgrade to Lion? All this interface stuff is getting quite kitschy. As a long-time Mac user, I'm not seeing the value here. For new users, well, I don't know if it will make things any easier or more iOS-like. Clearly Steve is not personally overseeing this project.

If you haven't seen anything that impresses you I doubt anything anyone tells you will change your mind.
  • Reply 36 of 96
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Looking at the features so far, I will probably wait and switch to Lion when the bugs in Lion have decreased below the bugs in Snow Leopard. For my own requirements, Snow Leopard (and MobileMe) with less bugs would be better than Lion.
  • Reply 37 of 96
    kaiser_sozekaiser_soze Posts: 121member
    When it comes to operating system upgrades from Apple, I am jaded, skeptical, and cynical. All for good reason.

The reason is this: there has long been one MAJOR problem with Apple?s OS, WHICH THEY HAVE STEADFASTLY IGNORED, meanwhile devoting a lot of effort to a lot of stuff that is frivolous in comparison.

The One True Problem with Apple?s OS: SCREEN TEXT THAT IS NOT UNDER THE IMMEDIATE CONTROL OF SOME PIECE OF APPLICATION SOFTWARE IS RENDERED IN SUCH A WAY THAT THE PHYSICAL SIZE OF THE TEXT ON THE SCREEN DEPENDS ON THE PHYSICAL PIXEL DENSITY OF THE DISPLAY!!!!!

This situation is LUDICROUS. It is ludicrous that Apple has ignored this for as long as they have. It is LUDICROUS that whereas they should have corrected this horrific shortcoming a long, long time ago, they have persisted in ignoring it and have instead directed their efforts at the likes of the boot animation.

For every Apple-apologist out there who will be eager to spring to Apple?s defense and try to find some way to refute what I am saying, please take note of the following more detailed explanation of the problem. You are no doubt aware that the physical pixel density of the screen varies from one display device to the next. You have probably heard, for example, of ?retina display?. Now, there are good reasons why the same sort of high-resolution should be offered in the regular computers. But unless and until Apple corrects this shortcoming in the regular OS, this cannot be done. The reason is simple. Excepting the text where the font size used at the display is controlled by some piece of application software, all the rest of it will shrink physically in size. The quantity of pixels used will not change, and because that same, fixed quantity of pixels will take up less physical real estate on the screen, it will shrink. The extent of the shrinkage is the same as the extent in the increase in the physical pixel density. This will apply to the menu bar and everything else that you see across the top of the screen, and to the drop-down menus, and to all of the windows that you open and that are provided by the OS itself, such as the system preferences window. All of this is rigidly fixed to a fixed quantity of screen pixels, and when the screen pixel density increases, all of this shrinks in size. Like the Incredible Shrinking Man from that old science fiction movie, eventually it all becomes so small that it simply vanishes.

Now that you understand the problem and you understand that it is real, surely you as well find it perplexing that Apple has not long ago fixed this. Surely. It is manifestly a problem, and it is manifestly something that Apple should have fixed a long, long time ago.

There is another related problem. If you happen not to like what Apple calls ?font smoothing?, which would more appropriately be called ?font smudging?, then you will want to disable it. If you go into the settings for ?Appearance?, there seems to be the ability to disable font smudging. It would appear that if you simply deselect the box that is labelled ?Use LCD font smoothing when available?, that this would disable font smudging altogether. But it doesn?t. There is even a logical inconsistency between that selection and the selection immediately below, where you select a font size associated with ?Turn off text smoothing for font sizes ___ and smaller. There are multiple problems with this. First, you cannot select a font size any larger than 12. Why not? Who decided to put this arbitrary limitation here? Software engineers who do not have any better sense than to put arbitrary limitations of this sort into software have no business being allowed near a compiler. Second, these settings only seem to have any effect at all for applications that cooperatively, voluntarily conform to these settings. It is apparently the case that applications can ignore these settings, and it is apparently the case that text generated from within the OS, i.e., the text that shrinks physically when the physical pixel density is great, simply ignores these settings. Or is the text that you see, in the very same window where you make these selections, larger than font size 12 and therefore immune to the setting, due to the arbitrary restriction, notwithstanding that you have deselected the box? IT MAKES NO SENSE.

I WISH THAT EVERYONE WOULD STOP ALL THIS SILLY BABBLE ABOUT THE BOOT ANIMATION AND SO FORTH AND START TALKING INSTEAD ABOUT THESE VERY REAL SHORTCOMINGS THAT APPLE NEEDS TO ADDRESS. AS LONG AS THE CUSTOMERS ARE EVIDENTLY TOO IGNORANT TO REALIZE THAT THIS IS A PROBLEM, APPLE WILL LIKELY CONTINUE TO IGNORE THIS INDEFINITELY. THE LAST MAJOR REVISION TO THE OS WAS AT THE VERY BEST A JOKE, AND THE SAME WILL LIKELY BE TRUE OF THIS ONE, AND THE NEXT ONE, AND THE ONE AFTER THAT, UNTIL SUCH TIME AS THE PAYING CUSTOMERS STOP ALL THIS BABBLE ABOUT BOOT ANIMATION AND SO FORTH AND START TALKING INSTEAD ABOUT THIS REAL, BONA FIDE PROBLEM!
  • Reply 38 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

I WISH THAT EVERYONE WOULD STOP ALL THIS SILLY BABBLE ABOUT THE BOOT ANIMATION AND SO FORTH AND START TALKING INSTEAD ABOUT THESE VERY REAL SHORTCOMINGS THAT APPLE NEEDS TO ADDRESS. AS LONG AS THE CUSTOMERS ARE EVIDENTLY TOO IGNORANT TO REALIZE THAT THIS IS A PROBLEM, APPLE WILL LIKELY CONTINUE TO IGNORE THIS INDEFINITELY. THE LAST MAJOR REVISION TO THE OS WAS AT THE VERY BEST A JOKE, AND THE SAME WILL LIKELY BE TRUE OF THIS ONE, AND THE NEXT ONE, AND THE ONE AFTER THAT, UNTIL SUCH TIME AS THE PAYING CUSTOMERS STOP ALL THIS BABBLE ABOUT BOOT ANIMATION AND SO FORTH AND START TALKING INSTEAD ABOUT THIS REAL, BONA FIDE PROBLEM!

Thank you. At least someone is willing to point out what's happening with Lion rather than just gushing over a new Login screen.
  • Reply 39 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

You know, if Spaces is now being handled by Mission Control, how does one now get an application to be limited to just one Space? Before, you had a Spaces window in System Preferences and you dragged the apps you wanted onto the specific space. I can't figure out how to do that now via Mission Control.

Just create a Space and then drag the application to it from Mission Control.

After testing it out I think more users will use multiple desktops because it is presented to them more directly. Just placing an app in fullscreen mode creates a space for that item.

The transitions for Mission Control and switching desktops is smoother but there are couple things I?d like to see. For instance, the ability to rearrange their location with Mission Control and to rename the desktops to something more personal and useful.
  • Reply 40 of 96
    Originally Posted by kaiser_soze

Jings....ease back there fella : p