Arrival of Beatles on Apple's iTunes causes uptick in music sales

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

wait, what? Usher sold 20 million albums? ... Wait, what?

yeah!!!
  • Reply 22 of 27
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheIguana View Post

Music industry sees a correlation in sales data and music releases.

Music industry claims a causal link between the sales data and the music releases.

Does this remind anyone of a previous claim by the music industry?

Obviously you have zero experience in retail. Every item as it is brought in for sale is tracked and every item that is sold is tracked by just about any metric imaginable.

You think that for every download they don't know what they sold? By whom? Song title? genre? How do you think you get invoiced?
  • Reply 23 of 27
    One of the article's charts shows 3.6 million vinyl albums sold in 2011 so far. Are these new releases? Or are these albums manufactured years ago? If they are new albums, where are these sold? Any store I've been in, there are no vinyl albums (Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etcetera, etcetera). ???????
  • Reply 24 of 27
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Vinyl's resurgence is due to CDs being brickwalled these days.

I have no idea what you mean by "brickwalled" - I still buy hundreds of CDs, and I've only gotten one that had any restrictions - it wouldn't play on my computer. It was a knockoff import from Argentina.

By the way, a lot of people buy used CDs - especially now with Amazon Marketplace and other websites, you can find almost anything used right at your fingertips. The record companies don't count these as music sales, and don't make any money from it. I think this is responsible for a lot of the music company lost revenue - it's not just because of piracy. Of course, now that I think about it, a lot of the used CDs probably come from people who load the music into their computers and then sell the disc.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    xanthohappyxanthohappy Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I have no idea what you mean by "brickwalled" - I still buy hundreds of CDs, and I've only gotten one that had any restrictions - it wouldn't play on my computer. It was a knockoff import from Argentina.

"Brickwalling" refers to a technique that music studios are using in the production of albums where they remove the dynamics of the music and compress it to make it sound louder. It sounds bigger on cheap stereos, but you lose the detail and dynamics of the music on good quality stereos. Since vinyl records are analogue, they don't have this problem. Here, check this video out to hear what brickwalling can sound like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNwgEL_36z8

ps: I'm not an expert on this topic, so I may have got a few things wrong with the above explanation, but it should give the general idea.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

Replaced by the days of 5 million illegal downloads!

And somebody please explain this Vinyl thing! A resurgence? Who still makes needles?

THE VINLY MARKET IS SO small that any increase looms large . Yet i have some new minted 125g HENDRIX vinyl that lays great in my buddies $2200. turntable .

Yes they make needles . They even make snap on ones that you can switch out quick .

the sound of vinyl if the album was originally released on vinyl and of course it is %100 percent analog . well the sound is great for about 25 plays may 30 . and the it tends to git a bit muddy . Neil young also sounds great on newly minted vinyl . He play all the 6 piano's on Harvest and you can hear it !.

• Reply 27 of 27
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Midnight Wolf View Post

One of the article's charts shows 3.6 million vinyl albums sold in 2011 so far. Are these new releases? Or are these albums manufactured years ago? If they are new albums, where are these sold? Any store I've been in, there are no vinyl albums (Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etcetera, etcetera). ???????

OMG

dude google analog . and then read everything you can find ,