Apple rumored to release 'iPhone 4S' with T-Mobile, Sprint support in Sept.

Comments

• Reply 61 of 117
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LA2000 View Post

Apparently they have decided to do this in lieu of a major product refresh. It's not a stupid plan. The bottom line will continue to show growing sales via new carriers, and when the sexy, new 5 comes out, they will be able to simultaneously sell out via all major carriers and encourage upgrades across the board. They are basically creating pent up demand for 5 without impacting their current bottom line.

So if there is a big announcement about 4S, it won't be to encourage an upgrade, it will be to announce the new carriers.

This doesn't make a lot of sense. When the Verizon iPhone was release, there were good sales, but not tremendous, because there is pent up demand for the next model, and a lot of people didn't want to buy something that potentially would be outdated in a few months. So if Apple is just doing a very minor update, but adding more carriers, those buyers would be buying something that they'd be locked into for 2 years, while the next major iPhone update would be less than a year away. I'd guess that there will be more than just some minor updates, but I'm often surprised, and occasionally disappointed by Apple's iPhone model upgrade announcements.
  • Reply 62 of 117
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Will this be in lieu of a proper iPhone 5, or will it replace the iPhone 4 when the 5 is released? Hmm...

iphone 4s=5

the iphone 4 was named such as the 4th gen, not because of tech like the two previous models. So the next one is the iphone 5.

Also, Apple's fiscal year starts in October, not Sept. Anyone that listens to their earnings reports would know this. So was it the 'source' that said September is the start of the year or AI claiming that. Cause to me, getting that detail wrong reflects on the speaker and his/her validity.
  • Reply 63 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

iphone 4s=5

the iphone 4 was named such as the 4th gen, not because of tech like the two previous models. So the next one is the iphone 5.

But in regards to the name do you think they will call it iPhone 5?

If they are bringing to market an HSPA+ iPhone, which both AT&T and T-Mobile refer to as their 4th generation network I can see them wanting to call it iPhone 4G. However, their desire to keep the models as identical as possible to the user could make them hold off on that until LTE is ready for inclusion. If that inclusion is slated to arrive next year then I can see the A5 chip and double the NAND being added this year for the iPhone 4[s] with next year’s model being iPhone 4G or iPhone 4GS.
  • Reply 64 of 117
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

1_ I'm a little tired of every new product or upgrade there's some story of how Apple wanted to do this or that but due to this or that reason they couldn't do it.

Someone should tell them the parable of the difference between the janitor and the executive ...
  • Reply 65 of 117
    rkprorkpro Posts: 28member
    Yes! T-Mob support means 1700/AWS support.

I hope this rumor is true.

I would be able to buy the next iPhone unlocked from Apple and use it on the new AWS carriers up here in Canada. I currently get unlimited everything for $40 from Wind Mobile, but I don't like my Nexus One.
  • Reply 66 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

There is no such thing as a "proper" iPhone 5.

Remember, the iPhone 4 is the only phone they've released to date where the number matches the phone generation. The 5th gen iPhone will be whatever they release next.

Whether it's called "iPhone 4s" or "iPhone 6 XP special edition" is irrelevant.

You know what I mean. I'm asking: Is the iPhone 4S their "Plan A" or "Plan B" for 2011 refresh?
  • Reply 67 of 117
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

You know what I mean. I'm asking: Is the iPhone 4S their "Plan A" or "Plan B" for 2011 refresh?

Why do you think anyone here would know that?
  • Reply 68 of 117
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

I don't think Apple deals in Plans B.

Can anyone really imagine Steve Jobs saying, "Well, OK, maybe it's just to hard to make a great new iPhone, so why don't you guys just take it easy and go with Plan B."
  • Reply 69 of 117
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member
    I went back from iPhone ATT to Sprint EVO 4G due to a terrible ATT reception and slow data.

The EVO 4g rocks: much lager screen, full-screen mode browser and fast data (8mbps) - make it much more usable: it is almost like mini-tablet, but still very pocketable, easy to type, and one-hand operable.

I like the iPhone OS and hardware, but in order to switch to potential Sprint iPhone, here is my wish list for a new iPhone in order of importance:
    1. Screen aprox. 4.5"

2. 4G data

3. World phone
  • Reply 70 of 117
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

1_ I'm a little tired of every new product or upgrade there's some story of how Apple wanted to do this or that but due to this or that reason they couldn't do it. I understand things happen out of ones control, but this is ALL the time. Why can't Apple manage these better or plan far enough ahead? Next iPad 3 will have something that was planned but due to something it won't happen and people will need to wait for iPad 4. Every other maker can squeeze in a 4G/LTE or whatever thingamabob why can't Cupertino?

2_ Guess I'm holding onto my 3GS for another year, I refuse to buy another .5 item like the 3GS as much as I like it, but for once I want a fully new product. This "4S" is VERY disappointing to me. Oh well, I guess another 15-16 months of waiting won't kill me (I hope, knock on wood).

Apple rarely discusses planned features before a product release. What you're talking about are internet rumors of what Apple might do. It's a little unreasonable to take Apple to task for failing to live up to random speculation.
  • Reply 71 of 117
    Assuming there is an "iPhone 4S" that is primarily about extending carrier compatibility, why would that release be delayed until September? It doesn't seem like much of a technical challenge, so there would have to be another reason for changing up the release schedule.

Given how consistent Apple has been with that release schedule, you would think it would have to be a very good reason, but I'm not seeing it.
  • Reply 72 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Assuming there is an "iPhone 4S" that is primarily about extending carrier compatibility, why would that release be delayed until September? It doesn't seem like much of a technical challenge, so there would have to be another reason for changing up the release schedule.

Given how consistent Apple has been with that release schedule, you would think it would have to be a very good reason, but I'm not seeing it.

1) Maybe they want a 6 month difference between the iPad and iPhone since those are their 2 biggest sellers.

2) Along with #1, with the iPod sales dropping and being less important, and iPod Touch being mostly an iPhone maybe they?ve decided to role them into one release.

3) Maybe there is an issue with sourcing components or manufacturing that would keep this release postponed.

4) Maybe The release of Lion is making iOS the a back seat the way Mac OS has taken a back seat to iOS. Or, there is a need to focus on Lion and get it out in the wild before releasing new iOS 5.0 features.

5) Maybe they felt that including 4G wouldn?t feasible happen for at least 2.5 years after the iPhone 4 was released so they decided to add 3 months time to the next two models to help spread the difference.

6) New high-density battery tech won?t be ready until the end of the Summer.
  • Reply 73 of 117
    The most plausible of those are the ones that involve Apple moving the release schedule to be more compatible with other product lines (and as a response to dwindling iPod sales).

Component sourcing seems like a stretch, since (according to the rumor at hand) we're just talking about T-Mobile and Sprint compatible radios, which surely are not in short supply.

I suppose iOS 5 development efforts could be behind schedule, and Apple wants to make that the centerpiece of a modestly improved handset. But presumably you'll be able to upgrade the iPhone 4 anyway, so waiting to ship a 4S until it can come with iOS 5 preinstalled is not that much of a differentiator (although I guess Apple might want to make sure a very slightly improved phone had something to make it seem new, even if that something was available to the "old" handset).

Battery tech? It's possible but doesn't seem that likely.

The scheduling thing seems like the best bet-- some combination of having a strong product to release in the fall, extending the time since the Verizon release and shortening the time till LTE.

And I'd rate waiting for iOS 5 a close second.
  • Reply 74 of 117
    Quote:

Component sourcing seems like a stretch, since (according to the rumor at hand) we're just talking about T-Mobile and Sprint compatible radios, which surely are not in short supply.

The Sprint iPhone needs the baseband flashed and the AT&T iPhone needs to have the 1700MHz radio added to the current broadband chip, and perhaps an antenna change. Both seems pretty simple to me.

Quote:

I suppose iOS 5 development efforts could be behind schedule, and Apple wants to make that the centerpiece of a modestly improved handset. But presumably you'll be able to upgrade the iPhone 4 anyway, so waiting to ship a 4S until it can come with iOS 5 preinstalled is not that much of a differentiator (although I guess Apple might want to make sure a very slightly improved phone had something to make it seem new, even if that something was available to the "old" handset).

I didn’t want to get to detailed with my previous post but I was thinking of an RFID or some such HW that would automate your connections between your Macs and iDevices to further integrate your ecosystem.

For example, If you are at your desk and logged in your iPhone would no long continue to push emails to the device. That would be shut off because it’s not needed. Also, apps with push notifications could have the option to turn off PSN whilst you’re using your Mac. For instance, using Words with Friends on your Mac means your phone doesn’t need to get a push notification that it’s your turn.

Those are some superficial examples of how Apple’s control of the HW, OS, SW and ecosystem could benefit the user. A more complex example might be switching a FaceTime call from your iPhone to your AppleTV’s display (once it’s updated and we have TV that use that capability) or your Mac.

PS: If they really are going to alter the size of the display they will need an updated SDK and it will take time for devs to submit to the App Store. If this happens at WWDC that time frame between the June announcement and September launch with a new iPhone HW would make since.

PPS: They really need to have multiple WWDCs at the same time or get a much bigger venue. If they had a couple in the US, one in Europe, and one in China or Japan I think they’d sell out easily.
  • Reply 75 of 117
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    You forgot another one: the build quality of HTC and Motorola stink (maybe Samsung is better). Seriously, my friend had both the Nexus One, and then the G2 (which she upgraded when T-Mobile gave all its smart phones away for free on Valentine's Day). HTC made both phones, and they are made out of cheap flimsy plastics. Motorola phones not only are made of cheap materials, but they aren't designed well either. Before the iPhone, I have owned three Motorola phones. All have died before the end of the contract. Usually it is because of the poorly designed power cords that eventually cause the casing to crack and stop working. My step brother has a Motorola Droid and it suffers the same issues.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

You forgot the big one: You must learn to accept that the Android Marketplace is loaded with viruses and worthless wallpaper apps.

• Reply 76 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Well, could not find much on the web as too how, but appears they are using two radios which results in a 3 hour battery life when surfing the web etc. For a low usage person like myself, this might work. But for heavy users... That's why you have to carry spare batteries.

The bad battery life stems from the 4G radio. Using two radios doesn't NEC mean bad battery life.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djmikeo View Post

This doesn't make a lot of sense. When the Verizon iPhone was release, there were good sales, but not tremendous, because there is pent up demand for the next model, and a lot of people didn't want to buy something that potentially would be outdated in a few months. So if Apple is just doing a very minor update, but adding more carriers, those buyers would be buying something that they'd be locked into for 2 years, while the next major iPhone update would be less than a year away. I'd guess that there will be more than just some minor updates, but I'm often surprised, and occasionally disappointed by Apple's iPhone model upgrade announcements.

welcome to the life of technology.

Quote:

It could be Apple wants all iPhones to b released on all carriers at similar days. Or it could be iOS 5.0 being delayed. More likely is Foxxconn who makes the iPhone and is based in Japan (not sure about this, but I know many of iPhone parts come from Japan) is in part for th delay.
  • Reply 77 of 117
    What are the odds that this data center, their voice recognition, and/or their mapping software is the primary reason this is getting held back until September?*

* I know it’s not confirmed but I’m saying there is enough circumstantial evidence to say that it probably is September.
  • Reply 78 of 117
    It could be a plan B scenario. Apple planed to do something different and more aggressive, however, something went wrong. It had to shuffle to implement plan B. Also I suspect quite a bit goes into making the phone compatible with all networks. it could be something needed to be able to come up with one phone for all networks wasn't available until a certain time.

Also, think back when Apple was coming up with the major update for iOS to release version 4. The same team works on the Mac OS as well, so what eventually became Snow Leopard got pushed back. The team has been busy on Lion, in September Lion will be in the Wild and the team will have had a few months to go back to working exclusively on iOS.

I suspect the delay is software related.

Quote:

• Reply 79 of 117
    Apple might not be working on Plan B, but there always is a Plan B. Can you imagine telling Jobs that a major component supplier can't deliver expected necessary components until six months after a product's planed launch? Apple isn't going to delay a product for half a year. You have to have a back up plan. That is just smart.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Can anyone really imagine Steve Jobs saying, "Well, OK, maybe it's just to hard to make a great new iPhone, so why don't you guys just take it easy and go with Plan B."

• Reply 80 of 117
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

of course they have a plan B. they have a plan C.