Apple seeds new Mac OS X Lion preview with Reading List, Mission Control

Comments

• Reply 61 of 96
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    What is the Build # of DP3?
  • Reply 62 of 96
    10.7 so far seems like FAIL to me from Apple -- iOS has way more AirPlay integration, and the Mac still does not have it in QuickTime Player. As for Adobe, they need to add AirPlay to Flash videos also...
  • Reply 63 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

10.7 so far seems like FAIL to me from Apple -- iOS has way more AirPlay integration, and the Mac still does not have it in QuickTime Player. As for Adobe, they need to add AirPlay to Flash videos also...

I can understand AirPlay in an iDevice to push to an AppleTV, but for the Mac the AppleTV should be connected to iTunes. It seems like Apple will likely leverage AirPlay within it to the AppleTV or not at all, but I can?t see it be part of QuickTime so you can push it to an AppleTV.
  • Reply 64 of 96
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

• Reply 65 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

• Reply 66 of 96
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It’s showing up as Mission Control in my build of 11a459e.

I can’t find that option.

edit: It looks odd on the System Preferences page. All other long titles using two words are places over each other. I’m sure that’ll change. So did they sneak in this simple change from Exposé & Space to Mission Conttol after the initial update of 11A459e or is Quillz using a different build?

Yes, this has been noted by some. I dunno why my build does not say "Mission Control."
  • Reply 67 of 96
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

I've been having this horrible thought lately. What happens when we run out of really cool, big cat names for OS X?

Move to Mac OS 11 and use a new set of code names.
  • Reply 68 of 96
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

When it comes to operating system upgrades from Apple, I am jaded, skeptical, and cynical. All for good reason.

crazy rant.

software will be changed when new display will be used by apple.

-

I don't see the point about smooth font beyond 12pt. Yes Apple take decision, I do not want to manage "font smoothness" to whatever size.

I tell freak control computers users to install Linux.
  • Reply 69 of 96
    kgbwnetkgbwnet Posts: 28member
    It seems like that the Mail team isn't able to make Archive a special folder (doesn't show on the sidebar as one of the special folders like Sent, Draft, Trash, etc, and hence can't use "Use This Mailbox for > xxx"). Resort to hacking it I guess (anyone knows how to?)
  • Reply 70 of 96
    iandeaniandean Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

You know, if Spaces is now being handled by Mission Control, how does one now get an application to be limited to just one Space? Before, you had a Spaces window in System Preferences and you dragged the apps you wanted onto the specific space. I can't figure out how to do that now via Mission Control.

There are new options in the dock to solve this.

• Reply 71 of 96
    iandeaniandean Posts: 23member
    "Also, users will see thumbnail magnifications when hovering over desktop thumbnails."

Nothing but a close button appears when hovering over desktop thumbnails for me. Anybody else getting a different result?

I've also noticed the "show all windows of a specific application" function has disappeared, for both a four finger swipe down AND 2 finger swipe up on Dock icon. In fact there doesn't appear to be any function for 4 finger swipe down. Anyone getting the same?
  • Reply 72 of 96
    donaldonal Posts: 10member
    I have been using spaces as a grid ever since the days of Desktop Manager. Now Apple decides arbitrarily to present spaces as a horizontal incremental row. And they omit the menubar number of the actual space I am using.

With a 3X3 grid, I could visualize where everything was and navigate intuitively, once each space had been assigned an app. Now with Lion I don't know where I am or where I am going.

In the previous build of Lion all the spaces numbers were assigned randomly. Now with the new build Mission Control in Preferences does provide a box to reorder spaces. However the Mission Control icon still implies that spaces are assigned to a grid, when plainly they are not.

I'm writing this on an old Leopard mac pro. It still seems much better resolved than Lion.
  • Reply 73 of 96
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewturkko View Post

Yes, but it would take them only, what, a minute to rename something.

Unless it's being renamed over and over again... in 20 different languages.

The people who are going to naming it are most likely the team assigned to work on Mission Control. With the amount of work they're doing fixing bugs and higher priority things, something like a name is best saved for last since it is low priority.

Like I said, that's how the software development process goes, it's all about the priority of bugs.

I also feel like there are multiple versions of the Developer Preview floating around even though they are labeled under the same build... which is really weird, but would explain the differences in Mission Control... The only thing I want from Mission Control at this point is to show minimized windows. Expose with minimized windows is something I love and don't want to lose.

I can't wait for iTune to get the iOS scrollbars. Damn Carbon, I'm sure it will take forever to either replicate something like that in Carbon and/or rewrite iTunes.
  • Reply 74 of 96
    Why the heck not? It is MUCH more spontaneous than first downloading and then adding to the iTunes library. I like to use the ClickToPlugin Safari Extension and download MP4 videos and then use the free AirFlick:

http://ericasadun.com/ftp/AirPlay/

to send them to my Apple TV. Having an AirPlay button in the QuickTime Player and web plugin would streamline things even more. Same goes for Flash videos, which there is no way to do Flash on Apple TV. Then I could send videos from sites like Crackle to my Apple TV too!

Every app that does audio and video should be AirPlay enabled -- I should be able to redirect any stream I want in my home. Why should iOS devices have MORE AirPlay enabled than Mac OS X?! Makes zero sense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can understand AirPlay in an iDevice to push to an AppleTV, but for the Mac the AppleTV should be connected to iTunes. It seems like Apple will likely leverage AirPlay within it to the AppleTV or not at all, but I can’t see it be part of QuickTime so you can push it to an AppleTV.

• Reply 75 of 96
    Quote:

Why the heck not? It is MUCH more spontaneous than first downloading and then adding to the iTunes library. I like to use the ClickToPlugin Safari Extension and download MP4 videos and then use the free AirFlick to send them to my Apple TV. Having an AirPlay button in the QuickTime Player and web plugin would streamline things even more. Same goes for Flash videos, which there is no way to do Flash on Apple TV. Then I could send videos from sites like Crackle to my Apple TV too!

Every app that does audio and video should be AirPlay enabled -- I should be able to redirect any stream I want in my home. Why should iOS devices have MORE AirPlay enabled than Mac OS X?! Makes zero sense.

Good luck, but I can?t even get QuickTime to offer an option for remembering my last position. Lion has a quasi-feature that works if QuickTime unexpectedly quits, but I would like one that will remember all videos played, just like it does in DVD Player and iTunes.

Another option I?d like is to choose which player iTunes options files with. I absolutely abhor the iTunes player so I don?t use it for storing and organizing my videos. If I could double-click an item in iTunes and have QTX launch as the player much in the same way Preview opens and loads PDFs stored in iTunes I?d be a happier camper.
  • Reply 76 of 96
    Anyone else notice the Nuance branded voices in Lion? I guess the partnership is true. What do you think the means for the future of iOS?

• Reply 77 of 96
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iandean View Post

There are new options in the dock to solve this.

That's an improvement. Although, if they've eliminated the ability to permanently assign an app to a specific desktop, not so much.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by donal View Post

I have been using spaces as a grid ever since the days of Desktop Manager. Now Apple decides arbitrarily to present spaces as a horizontal incremental row. ...

That seems like a huge negative, at least for me.
  • Reply 78 of 96
    Anyone else getting this error/bug? Been happening since update to dvlpr3.

That window shows up for roughly one second then disappears.

Luckily I was able to catch the error message, but because of it, I'm unable to use the Mac App Store.
  • Reply 79 of 96
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Yes, this has been noted by some. I dunno why my build does not say "Mission Control."

My default setup also displays, Exposé & Spaces with the latest build.
  • Reply 80 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Man, you really need a holiday. You get this angry over font smoothing? Seriously? Fonts looks great here on my 27" iMac and why on earth would you want fonts over 12pt not to be smoothed on screen, the only reason for turning off smaller point sizes if that anti-aliasing on fine text can make it more difficult to read.

What you're basically asking for is the ability to turn all font anti-aliasing off and select the font size for menu bars, window labels etc - why not just submit that as a feature request to Apple rather than wasting so long ranting on here.

Little perspective perhaps?

A little perspective? By cheap innuendo, you endeavor to denigrate what I wrote. This is dishonest, although not the least bit atypical for what passes for acceptable behavior on forums such as this.

It never ceases to amaze me how you can spell out something in a manner so perfectly plain that no semi-intelligent person could possibly fail to comprehend, and yet there are always people who come along and make comments as sophomoric as the comment you made.

Yes, I am angry, and my angry over this intolerable situation has increased each time that Apple has released a new version of the OS without fixing this very real, substantive problem. The font smoothing nonsense is the lesser of the two evils, and that was apparent in what I wrote, yet you took the liberty of flipping it around. The fact that you did that speaks directly to your honesty.

The only thing that you might be right about is that I am probably wasting my time for discussing these problems here. But the irony is that your post is the evidence for this. The reason for posting this here is the vain expectation that a some of the sheep out there will wake up and start to think for themselves. But your posts is evidence that this is not likely to happen.

I will try to make it even simpler, so that you might be able to understand it. Here goes:

On my high-resolution monitor, much of the stuff that appears on the screen is far smaller than is optimal. In fact, it is just tiny, tiny, tiny. The finer the resolution of the screen, the more tiny stuff is. This is manifestly a problem. It could not POSSIBLY be more obvious that this is a problem. Yet you are manifestly incapable of "getting it".

The mentality that you demonstrated with regards to the arbitrary restriction on the font size at which you can disable font smoothing is precisely the same mentality that evidently prevails at Apple. Because you personally do not see the advantage of being able to disable, you evidently think that there should be an arbitrary limitation to prevent anyone who sees differently from being able to disable it, for font sizes larger than 12. You evidently are unable to understand that an arbitrary restriction of this sort is incapable of yielding any benefit for anyone. It is preposterous that any arbitrary restriction of this sort would exist. The font smoothing requires logic that is not applied when it is disabled. Some programmer who is unable to think at all clearly put this restriction in place, for no good reason whatsoever. This is a perfect example of the sort of mentality that many inexperienced programmers exhibit. The fact that you do not understand this is compelling evidence that if perchance you are a programmer, you are a very inexperienced programmer yet to develop a mature attitude toward software functionality. I don't know any other way to say it.

The thing that gets me is this: what sort of service do you think that you have given to anyone at all by writing something of the sort that you wrote? What is your purpose? In what way does a post such as the one you wrote potentially benefit anyone within the Apple user community? In what does it even potentially benefit you?