Apple rumored to release 'iPhone 4S' with T-Mobile, Sprint support in Sept.

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 117
    pbrstreetgpbrstreetg Posts: 184member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Jobs won't be around in a year. I will probably wait for the iPhone 5, nonetheless.

That is a stupid thing to say.
  • Reply 102 of 117
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    edits
  • Reply 103 of 117
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

... here is my wish list for a new iPhone in order of importance:
    1. Screen aprox. 4.5"

2. 4G data

3. World phone

Apple won't do 4G data until you can leave it on all day without destroying your battery. It's just not technically possible at the moment by all accounts.

my wish list for a fifth gen iPhone is simpler:

1. off-contract price of < $500

2. better than last years model in some (even minor) way

all my beefs with the iPhone or things that I'd like it to do that it currently doesn't revolve around software not hardware. the camera will get better year by year and that will be nice, it's a bit faster year by year and that's nice, but all that's expected now and hardly revolutionary. as long as each year's model is better than the last and reasonably affordable I will buy it and so will most other folks IMO.

IMO what's really missing is some compelling software. it's especially noticeable with the iPad. all the basic apps are in need of an overhaul and the whole OS needs to be more 'serious' (by which I mean the user has to get a bit more control over the OS and have a bit more power to actually do things with the device besides play games and read the news.)

I'd like to see the settings app balloon to double it's current size. I'd like to see some serious work done on Pages and document/file management. I'd like to see a decent email client for the iPad and an integrated home screen for the iPhone. I'd like to see those five finger multi-touch settings added back at a minimum.
  • Reply 104 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Apple won't do 4G data until you can leave it on all day without destroying your battery. It's just not technically possible at the moment by all accounts.

my wish list for a fifth gen iPhone is simpler:

A $499 or less price point is interesting, which would mean $100 less from vendors on contract. The question isn?t can they do it, but should they do it. Sure, they?ll sell more, but they seem to be barely keeping ahead of demand as it is with a nearly 1 year old product.

There is an argument to be made that if they ramp up production enough for the anticipated need they could make increase economy of scale to a point that could increase their profit margin while simultaneously suffocating any competitor who tries to make a profit at or above their price point.

Android-based handset would still very likely outsell the iPhone but we?d see them be cheaper, simpler devices that are made poorly by companies that can barely keep the lights on. Essentially Apple start doing what they?ve done by aggressively pricing the iPad.

They would have to worry about weakening the brand since they can?t easily jump back up after they drop down in price. Still, I think it could be a reasonable shift for increased profits and dominance in the handset market, even though they are already killing it without any such change. Hell, just adding Sprint, T-Mobile and China Mobile would do plenty of damage.

Outside of sourcing components there are few things to consider. We have both Samsung and LG talking about HiDPI displays. The smaller the display the more likely it will come first so smartphones matching or exceeding the iPhone?s Retina Display are imminent. On top of that, it will likely make Apple?s Retina Display considerably cheaper over the next couple years. Then there is NAND which is likely to see a capacity doubling this Autumn (which might be a reason Apple delayed the G5 iPhone) making 32GB and 64GB the new standard, so a 16GB iPhone which would have a NAND price of the current 8GB NAND as another likely way to reduce costs to get to a sub-$500 device.
  • Reply 105 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

1_ I'm a little tired of every new product or upgrade there's some story of how Apple wanted to do this or that but due to this or that reason they couldn't do it. I understand things happen out of ones control, but this is ALL the time. Why can't Apple manage these better or plan far enough ahead? Next iPad 3 will have something that was planned but due to something it won't happen and people will need to wait for iPad 4. Every other maker can squeeze in a 4G/LTE or whatever thingamabob why can't Cupertino?

2_ Guess I'm holding onto my 3GS for another year, I refuse to buy another .5 item like the 3GS as much as I like it, but for once I want a fully new product. This "4S" is VERY disappointing to me. Oh well, I guess another 15-16 months of waiting won't kill me (I hope, knock on wood).

Assuming the iPhone 4S goes to ATT, it is as much of a 4G device as the Atrix 4G, Infuze 4G and Veer 4G on ATT. All those phones have no LTE but HSPA+. And there is currently only too phones that have LTE and you know what? I doubt any of thm will sell as much as the iPhone 4S will. And ATT, T Mobile and Sprint don't even have a LTE network yet ... So why should you care about something you can't use?
  • Reply 106 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

Assuming the iPhone 4S goes to ATT, it is as much of a 4G device as the Atrix 4G, Infuze 4G and Veer 4G on ATT. All those phones have no LTE but HSPA+. And there is currently only too phones that have LTE and you know what? I doubt any of thm will sell as much as the iPhone 4S will. And ATT, T Mobile and Sprint don't even have a LTE network yet ... So why should you care about something you can't use?

1) I think HSPA+ 14.4Mbps and HSUPA 5.78Mbps is likely for the next iPhone. The efficiency of those chips seem to be great according to battery tests.

2) As much as some want LTE and Verizon is pushing it ? because they have no choice*? it?s still only being included on large smartphones with more space for the larger chips and even larger battery? and it?s still not lasting long enough for the average user?s day.

3) Verizon finally has a speed advantage over AT&T with LTE but the cost is far too high at the moment. We?ll soon see 200-40Mbps from HSPA+ with efficient HW. For Verizon?s sake I hope the LTE vendors can reduce the power usage by then.
  • Reply 107 of 117
    jamiecjamiec Posts: 42member
    I'm not looking forward to the day when the iPhone comes to Sprint. Right now I'm enjoying my awesome unlimited deal on Sprint as a second line to my iPhone -- it's the deserted HOV lane of the cellular superhighway.
  • Reply 108 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I think HSPA+ 14.4Mbps and HSUPA 5.78Mbps is likely for the next iPhone. The efficiency of those chips seem to be great according to battery tests.

2) As much as some want LTE and Verizon is pushing it ? because they have no choice*? it?s still only being included on large smartphones with more space for the larger chips and even larger battery? and it?s still not lasting long enough for the average user?s day.

3) Verizon finally has a speed advantage over AT&T with LTE but the cost is far too high at the moment. We?ll soon see 200-40Mbps from HSPA+ with efficient HW. For Verizon?s sake I hope the LTE vendors can reduce the power usage by then.

LTE is the future of cell phone technology -- all cell phone companies are going that way, and even Sprint who is backing WiMAX is considering adding LTE as its 4G along with WiMAX (and battery life is surely going to get fixed). However with that said, its early and not everyone has it built yet so why support it?
  • Reply 109 of 117
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    The big question is what will Apple do to address security concerns like this:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...l-phone-calls/

Sim cards disable the GSM standard of warning of no encryption on a cell site -- who's bright idea was that?
  • Reply 110 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

LTE is the future of cell phone technology -- all cell phone companies are going that way, and even Sprint who is backing WiMAX is considering adding LTE as its 4G along with WiMAX (and battery life is surely going to get fixed). However with that said, its early and not everyone has it built yet so why support it?

You acknowledge that LTE is the fuure but then ask why component makers, handset vendors and carriers should support it? Um.. technology is a process. You can?t get from A to Z in one step. There will be intermediate achievements along the way. Right now, we have some carriers offering support for LTE in some markets, and large handiest offering some level of LTE despite the lowered consumer experience. That?s how this works! It will improve, but it won?t improve if no one is ever supporting it. I can name plenty of failed technologies that prove it.
  • Reply 111 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loungepop View Post

There's no way Apple would break with their update cycle and replace a one year old complete refresh... New models come every other model at the very most. A larger screen and form-factor update seems more important/relevant than an even better camera a slight speed upgrade for an already lightning fast model... I feel the aesthetics are farther behind the times than the hardware, but Apple will of course release a 4S and give us the modern iPhone in 2012.

I think Apple has to delay the release of their phone in large part due to the earthquake. The whole dynamic of manufacturing in Japan is changing dramatically to reduce power consumption during peak hours & rebuilding its infrastructure.
  • Reply 112 of 117
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

1. If Apple would start playing price game, it would not be typical of Apple.

2. "Better than last year" would not do it for me. Apple must continue to innovate and lead otherwise it will fall behind, there is so much going on in industry. Samsung, for instance, demoed recetly some fascinating AMOLEDs, including 4.5-inch flexible display.

HTC EVO 3D comes with 4.3" screen, HDMI out, 4G Mobile Hotspot supporting up to 8 Wi-Fi devices, integrated Google Voice, dual 5mp 3-D camera, 1080p video recording, 1730 mAh battery, 1.2 GHz Snapdragon dual-core, 1GB RAM, heptic feedback input, Swype, digital compass, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, FM radio, etc. And HTC makes 19 phone models. If Apple makes just one, it should really make the difference to compete.

• Reply 113 of 117
    Quote:

You acknowledge that LTE is the fuure but then ask why component makers, handset vendors and carriers should support it? Um.. technology is a process. You can’t get from A to Z in one step. There will be intermediate achievements along the way. Right now, we have some carriers offering support for LTE in some markets, and large handiest offering some level of LTE despite the lowered consumer experience. That’s how this works! It will improve, but it won’t improve if no one is ever supporting it. I can name plenty of failed technologies that prove it.

I don't think I made myself clear. Let me try one more time. As a consumer, why should you care about LTE when its not in your area? Sure it might be in two years, but chances are if your In a small town you won't get till your next upgrade. I agree that phone companies like Apple and Samsung should make LTE and WiMAX phones. But in Apples case, if you see possible shortages of a product that will mean you can't supply demand -- then why put it in this product?

And to drive this point more, the original person I replied to was talking about upgrading his 3GS to an 4S and was upset it. Doesn't have LTE in it. ATT doesn't even have LTE yet and probably won't until Nov or Dec, T Mobile doesn't have an LTE network yet and Sprint has WiMAX right now and might be getting LTE next year. So if only one company has LTE right now, why make a iPhone 4S on all carriers and only have one being able to use the 4G technology? I mean Sprint didn't launch the Evo without a 4G network right? So why should ATT, T Mobile and Sprint LTE phones without an LTE network to support that phone?
  • Reply 114 of 117
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Digitimes posted more evidence of the next iPhone model release as early as September.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110517PD214.html

An interesting statement was the number of iPhones sitting on store shelves was pegged between 1.5 and 2 million.
  • Reply 115 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Digitimes posted more evidence of the next iPhone model release as early as September.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110517PD214.html

An interesting statement was the number of iPhones sitting on store shelves was pegged between 1.5 and 2 million.

Is a week or so of inventory really that interesting? Are you suggesting that 7-10 days of inventory is excessive?
  • Reply 116 of 117
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

Is a week or so of inventory really that interesting? Are you suggesting that 7-10 days of inventory is excessive?

No. I would think even you would be interested in knowing what the inventory levels might be. I've never seen it mentioned before, but apparently you have?
  • Reply 117 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

No. I would think even you would be interested in knowing what the inventory levels might be. I've never seen it mentioned before, but apparently you have?

To an extent, as a shareholder and customer, I?m concerned. My query was about your perception of their channel inventory. The phrasing "sitting on store shelves? is oft used as a pejorative, and you only mentioned the quantity which does seem quite high when not qualified.

I bet the production cycles of their other products (not to mention their competitors) lead to considerably longer durations in the channel. For instance, I can?t imagine the Mac Pro production is on full tilt the way the iPhone and iPads are. Its sale volume could push it to only be produced in short busts throughout the year.

PS: I think they occasionally mention channel numbers in their earning calls but I can?t seem to find any proof of that.