Purported fifth-gen iPhone case shows edge-to-edge screen, camera flash shift - rumor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Although it may not mean anything, I think the fact that the chinese case has the camera flash in a new location is significant. This altered flash was NOT shown in the "leaked" engineering drawings nor on any previous "leak" or rumor that I can remember. Given the history of case manufacturers getting early specifications of new Apple products and the fact that other leaks have pointed to an "edge-to-edge" screen (with the same resolution), I wouldn't be surprised if this is a real case made to the specs of iPhone 4GS/5.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    acslater017acslater017 Posts: 424member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

"Please tell me that was just a bad attempt at being humorous. Seriously? No genius, I'm talking about the overall scale of the icons themselves being smaller than normal."

I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass, I didn't perceive the icons to be out of proportion......

People are usually more forgiving of mistakes if you're at least polite.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The thing that makes me think that the larger screen is not real is that it's so completely "un-Apple" to do that. They decide on things like screen size long before the first beta of the product is released and if they considered the screen size to be some kind of a problem one would think they would have changed it when they put out the retina display.

It also kind of implies that they are changing the screen size to larger because:

a) Android phones are that way and they need to compete

b) That's what the people want

c) the current size for the last five years was "too small."

None of those make sense or are typically things Apple cares about or does IMO. The first two are demonstrably untrue as well. Rumours are often about what the rumour monger *wishes* to be true rather than a reasonable argument of fact, and this smells like that to me.

I could be wrong of course but I'm waiting for more confirmation than "unknown chinese case manufacturer says so."

I think you're wrong. I don't think Apple decided on the 'screen size' per se when they built the original iPhone, I'm fairly confident that they in fact decided (after much testing and experimentation) on the optimal 'phone size'. Ie the height and width of a slab-style phone that would be optimal for holding in your hand/fitting into pockets/handbags etc. They then incorporated the largest screen that was technically feasible at the time given the footprint constraint.

Over the last 5 years the tech has improved such that they can likely now fit a somewhat larger display within the this 'optimal' footprint.

Apple (just like you average consumer) DOES think that bigger screens are better. For evidence of this, look at the evolution of the iPod Classic, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle, iMac. In addition, to pretend that Apple isn't influenced in this somewhat by consumers experience of Andriod or Windows Phone models with larger displays is just plain silly. When people look at the devices with larger displays they say 2 things - "Wow, the big screen is cool", and "but, it's too big to carry around". Apple's approach of taking the screen closer to edge to edge delivers against the first benefit, whilst neatly avoiding the second concern.

It's going to be great!
  • Reply 24 of 44
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    How do you hold the phone without your fingers blocking some of the screen?
  • Reply 25 of 44
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

I think you're wrong. I don't think Apple decided on the 'screen size' per se when they built the original iPhone, I'm fairly confident that they in fact decided (after much testing and experimentation) on the optimal 'phone size'. Ie the height and width of a slab-style phone that would be optimal for holding in your hand/fitting into pockets/handbags etc. They then incorporated the largest screen that was technically feasible at the time given the footprint constraint.

Over the last 5 years the tech has improved such that they can likely now fit a somewhat larger display within the this 'optimal' footprint.

Apple (just like you average consumer) DOES think that bigger screens are better. For evidence of this, look at the evolution of the iPod Classic, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle, iMac. In addition, to pretend that Apple isn't influenced in this somewhat by consumers experience of Andriod or Windows Phone models with larger displays is just plain silly. When people look at the devices with larger displays they say 2 things - "Wow, the big screen is cool", and "but, it's too big to carry around". Apple's approach of taking the screen closer to edge to edge delivers against the first benefit, whilst neatly avoiding the second concern.

It's going to be great!

Maybe, maybe not.

I think all the Android phones have bigger screens lately primarily because they are all being marketed almost exclusively to males. You see some men, like the screen bigger because ... well l won't go there.

I see no evidence that the average consumer wants a bigger screen but then it's all opinion at this point anyway. There is no actual evidence pointing to a bigger screen yet and similarly no real evidence to contradict the notion.

Apple designs the best products and they don't do things casually or for "flavour of the moment" kind of reasons. They design deliberately and rationally. So I'm prepared for either. If the screen turns out to be bigger, they will surely have good, rational reasons for doing so.

On a different note ... I just realised that the case pictured in this article is also not really proof of a bigger screen. Since the image of the iPhone inside it is obviously photoshopped, there is no reason at all to think the case by itself indicates a bigger screen. There are already many current cases for the iPhone 4 that have the same design (not wrapping too much around the front). The manufacturer might be making it as open as possible in the front "just in case."

If this case is really telling us about the shape of the 5th gen iPhone and really is accurate, all it really tells us is that the flash is in a different spot and that overall the shape and size is identical to the 4th gen iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

People are usually more forgiving of mistakes if you're at least polite.

Actually, if you look back at post #15 (http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...1&postcount=15) you'll see that foxhunter was the victim of impoliteness, not the perpetrator. But he would have avoided being misidentified if he used the quote feature rather than cut-and-paste.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Nice photoshop picture.

Or not so nice - the perspective is all wrong

• Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Actually, if you look back at post #15 (http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...1&postcount=15) you'll see that foxhunter was the victim of impoliteness, not the perpetrator. But he would have avoided being misidentified if he used the quote feature rather than cut-and-paste.

And if you look back to post #8...
  • Reply 29 of 44
    bakloydbakloyd Posts: 11member
    this is exciting, hope it's real
  • Reply 30 of 44
    mrnakomrnako Posts: 3member
    "side-to-side screen" ah you mean like on the first generation iPhone?
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

And if you look back to post #8...

I don't know, I kinda took that as an honest mistake. I can understand you maybe thinking he was dissing you but since his response was a simple "I wasn't trying to be a smart ass" it seems unlikely that was his intent.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. What is up with those tiny icons?! I smell a really bad Photoshop.

It's obviously just a mockup to show how the case fits and what things look like in general. Obviously it is just an edited iPad screen. Yes it does not make sense why someone would go through the trouble of putting in a Stocks icon (which I can't see actually)... But in Asia it's work overtime, work hurriedly, all with low, low pay... rarely is it work "smart". Whoever made the mockup has some basic 'shop skills but geez, lacks a bit of independent critical thinking. Those app icons in the mockup would be ridiculously tiny even on a 5" screen. And FFS there's no separate Videos app on the iPhone, so it makes no sense being there with the Voice Memos icon and the old iPad iOS 3 background. *sigh* Asia...

However, it does not influence whether the changes are true or not.

In any case this whole "new iPhone" stuff is currently moot for me because of my malfunctioning annoying Home button that apparently will take a month to "fix" by my useless greedy local telco that does not want to provide enough replacement units for customer needs. Like I said, Asia...

Living in the Western world is a poisoned chalice. If you ever have to go back to a "developing" country.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    The other thing to note is that the flash needs to be moved away from the lens because this was causing trouble with a lot of CASES... The light was bouncing off the cases back into the lens. That's why over the past year case manufacturers have had to adjust the opening for the lens and flash to avoid this problem... Some even advertise this advantage.

I had the issue with my InCase Snap so I couldn't really use the flash in the case but more recently my CaseMate doesn't have this problem.

So this makes sense for Apple to do for the purposes of the white iPhone and what must be quite a lot of complaints from users with cases that muddle up the flash light.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Call me crazy but I still see an edge.....LOL. What I'd like to see is a flip phone. And see apple work some kind of miraculous magic to make a screen you can fold. Just like what you can see in the most recent Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy movie.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

The next iPhone will in fact have the larger screen. There have been far too many insiders proclaim this up and down. I would also imagine the case to be the real deal too.

I would imagine a huge segment of VZ customers have held off on the iPhone 4 knowing that the new version was a mere months away, including myself. The iPhone 5 with the larger screen and the A5 will be Apple's highest selling device to date. To say it will far outsell the iPhone 4 is a huge understatement.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You don't know what the word "fact" means do you?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

Yes I do. And also know for a "fact" that you are an ass.

I have to side with the Prof on this one, you're stating your 'opinion' as being a fact based on many rumors you read. Just because many repeat a rumor doesn't make it fact. If you had been a long term AI reader or any other site(s) for that matter you would know this. Calling people names doesn't help your argument or credibility either.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

Call me crazy but I still see an edge.....LOL. What I'd like to see is a flip phone. And see apple work some kind of miraculous magic to make a screen you can fold. Just like what you can see in the most recent Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy movie.

A flip phone, that's so.......................90's.........
  • Reply 37 of 44
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Other reports have suggested that Apple will release an iPhone '4S' in September with relatively minor modifications, such as a transition to the A5 chip used in the iPad 2.

Minor modification
  • Reply 38 of 44
    I would be a BIG GAME CHANGER :-)
  • Reply 39 of 44
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I'll still be skipping this refresh and wait until 2012 when my contract is up and then shop my business between providers. I think the i4 is fast enough and has a nice camera for it.

I was hoping to do the same, especially if the rumors for a Sprint version hold true. I was sad to leave Sprint when the 3G came out but what could you do other than not have an iPhone?

Only problem is I had to buy a new phone this past December some I'm stuck for 2 years from that date. My wife is still using her 3G and will probably be pushing for whatever comes out next. Can't say that I would blame her at this point though. Thankfully she's not the type of person who has to have the latest and greatest.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

How do you hold the phone without your fingers blocking some of the screen?

I've had a look at this, and tbh i can't actually hold my phone in a way that would see my fingers blocking/touching any part of the side of the screen.

For one handed use my fingers are all behind the phone, with my thumb in front. I'm honestly not sure how you could have a problem with this.