RIM recalls 1,000 PlayBooks, Nvidia CEO explains slow Android tablet sales

Comments

• Reply 121 of 181
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Motorola, a prominent and well known vendor using Android, had a loss of $81 million. But at least it?s better than the $212 million loss for that same quarter a year ago.

Does that mean that Android is better than Blackberry? The losses are a lot less after all...
  • Reply 122 of 181
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Right on! Good to hear you actually being honest about Apple's weak productivity offering, without any RDF. I don't use Pages or Numbers very much at all, but my one big issue is no file system or coding support. I do code all day long and it would be really nice to be able to duplicate, rename, and open a php or js file, edit it and upload to a server. I realize there are VNC desktop apps but I don't want to fight the full desktop navigation on the iPad. I just want direct access to the simple text file. If they could do that, the iPad would be very handy indeed for quick fixes to my websites while on the go.

How about this? Even has syntax highlighting.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id383577124?mt=8
  • Reply 123 of 181
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

I wasn't try to play semantics I just don't consider using a mobile phone as a lifestyle in itself. But then I probably out of touch with what constitutes a lifestyle these days. Hey ho ...

Out of touch is a harsh way to put it, but I would say your feeling on cellphones is atypical. I have a family member in your age range that prefers a land line but has a cellphone for emergencies and when she's traveling. Gender dynamics likely also play a role in a cellphone for emergency needs. It's a complex world in which we live.
  • Reply 124 of 181
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Thanks for taking the time to share that. It looks like it has some great reviews.
  • Reply 125 of 181
    Quote:

The cell phone is just another technology. It's newer and less entrenched as a core necessity but that doesn't make it any less necessary to those that rely on it. Look at it as a way to facilitate communication. Just like landlines and the telegraph before it, and language as a whole before it. It's a part of modern society. Can you remove communication from society and have it still function the same? I don't think you can.

Let's not conflate communications and mobile phones. The telegraph, telephone and later on radio allowed almost instantaneous complex communication across huge distances without having to physically move (or get a messenger on a horse to do it for you). That was an enormous technological breakthrough. What do mobile phones bring to that advance except the ability to do that wherever there is a signal. That clearly has advantages in particular circumstances, but as someone who has lived for about 3/4 of my life in a world of no mobile phones and all of my life without one, how am I disadvantaged by not having one now? Apart from increasing the opportunity for spontaneous meets (nice I suppose) and being able to phone for help (assuming a signal) should I get into a scrape in some remote place, I can't think of any particular need.

I can see the huge advantages of email over the old phone trees we used in the 80s. I appreciate the immediacy and cost savings of being able to send text and attachments to family and friends in Oz without it taking 3 weeks to get there. I appreciate the astounding wonder that is the Internet and the fact that we can converse on this forum from separate far flung locations on the planet and search gargantuan amounts of information on the WWW. Those are real, genuine, worthwhile advances. But a mobile phone? It simply adds a layer of convenience to what was already there and in the process seems to have degraded human relations judging by the volume (in terms of decibels) and frequency of inane and rude and/or sexually explicit conversations that take place on mobiles in so many public places with depressing regularity.

But then I am a weirdo of course ...
  • Reply 126 of 181
    Quote:

... but I would say your feeling on cellphones is atypical.

I'm in complete agreement on that. All my friends find me very odd and then see my iPod touch (again!) and say "You said you didn't have a phone!". Always a laugh for about 3 seconds.
  • Reply 127 of 181
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

Right on! Good to hear you actually being honest about Apple's weak productivity offering, without any RDF. I don't use Pages or Numbers very much at all, but my one big issue is no file system or coding support. I do code all day long and it would be really nice to be able to duplicate, rename, and open a php or js file, edit it and upload to a server. I realize there are VNC desktop apps but I don't want to fight the full desktop navigation on the iPad. I just want direct access to the simple text file. If they could do that, the iPad would be very handy indeed for quick fixes to my websites while on the go.

I agree with this -- though if you are using PHP or JavaScript you are making matters difficult by using too low-level languages (kidding).

I think there are several iPad Note Taking programs that can do most of what you want -- they have a mini-file system and text editor within the app -- as well as the ability to upload/download files.

When I first started doing web development (1997) I did most of my programming (Perl, HTML, JavaScript) online (dial-up), using a browser to a Web Host that supported this method (online program/data entry and file manipulation). I had nothing, really, stored on the local Mac as there was no means to run or test the programs,

As the local machine, and the OS became more powerful, it became possible to do more and more offline -- to the point where I could develop, program, test and run the entire system on my local

computer (Apache, PHP, Perl, ColdFusion, MYSQL, etc.). Then, publish the finished "site" to the web hosting service.

If you can find a Web Hosting service that allows program editing and file uploads through a browser -- then you, likely could do site maintenance with an iPad -- or maybe even site creation with an iPad and BT KB.
  • Reply 128 of 181
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    A co-worker of mine, who is a Blackberry fan, tried 3 display units at a Best Buy in the Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario area (RIMs own backyard no less). He called up the keyboard to type a url into the browser and partially through entering the address, the keyboard disappeared and the unit locked up. The same thing happened on all three of the in-store demo units.

Half-baked and rushed to market.
  • Reply 129 of 181
    Quote:

Let's not conflate communications and mobile phones. The telegraph, telephone and later on radio allowed almost instantaneous complex communication across huge distances without having to physically move (or get a messenger on a horse to do it for you). That was an enormous technological breakthrough. What do mobile phones bring to that advance except the ability to do that wherever there is a signal.

For starters it allows instantly communication while allowing you to physically move. Now it also allows complex data to be sent and recieved.

Quote:

That clearly has advantages in particular circumstances, but as someone who has lived for about 3/4 of my life in a world of no mobile phones and all of my life without one, how am I disadvantaged by not having one now?

Who said you were? No one is saying that a cellphone should offer you the same utility as moat others, but you shouldn't discount the tech as a requiement for modern society.

The fact is you can say that about all technology. "Why do we need to grow crips? We were doing just fine hunting and gathering before." Hunter-gather societies tend to have an excessive amount of free time compared to other societies (Check out the !Kung).

It sounds like you are being a Luddite against new tech technologies that have come into being while accepting the ones that already existed. That doesn't seem far to me.
  • Reply 130 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Yesus Marta.. that's BBEdit for the iPad!
  • Reply 131 of 181
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    What kind of QNX issue forced RIM to physically recall 1000 PlayBooks? Don't they have a software update mechanism? Sounds worse than Android with all its dozens of slightly incompatible fragmented code branches.

So, now that there are 1000 fewer PlayBooks on the market, is Apple getting closer to 100% market share in enterprise (going by ActiveSync usage)? Or is it still somewhere between 99.8% and 99.9%?

Here's the Intermedia ActiveSync usage report:

http://blog.intermedia.net/2011/05/1...-over-android/

Note that Android is a distant 3rd behind iPhone at #1 and "Other" at #2 in enterprise usage. Pretty embarrassing for the fandroids out there I'd bet.
  • Reply 132 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

While I agree that Android is a worthy competitor to iOS now, and a good alternative to an iPhone for many people, I disagree that it has anything to do with choice. That's just the same hollow reasoning you get from the 'anti-Apple' people you mentioned, but it's completely meaningless. People aren't anti-Apple because Android offers more choice, in fact for typical customers Android offers less. The fact that you can sideload applications, hook up a mouse or a printer, connect your phone over HDMI or flash custom ROMS, it's all so far removed from what 'normal people' do with their phones that it doesn't even cross their mind when buying a phone. The choices people care about are 'can I use Netflix on it', 'can I install Angry Birds on it', 'does it have WhatsApp and Skype', 'how easy is it to operate the thing', etc. In terms of quality applications iOS provides more choice, not less.

I have yet to meet the first person in real life who admits to buying an Android phone because it offers him/here 'more choice'. My observation is that the only choice people want to make about a smartphone is 'do I want to spend that much $$$ on a device that looks and works like this?'. If they conclude the iPhone is too expensive and they played around with an Android phone and it looks ok to them, they will go for the Android phone. I'd estimate the percentage of potential buyers who eventually decide to not buy an iPhone because they think it 'offers them less choice' is close to 1%. People always think they want more choice, but actually they don't want more than 2 or 3 choices, otherwise they lose their overview and get all stressed out because after they choose one of the many available choices, the idea they might have made the wrong choice because they didn't have the time or energy to research all their options will keep nagging.

I think people don't 'hate Apple' because Apple gives you less choice, people 'hate Apple' because it's human nature for many people to hate on something succesful, especially something succesful that isn't cheap. That's really all there is to it. It's the Microsoft effect from 10 years back, but now it's Apple who draws all the attention.

Well said.
  • Reply 133 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

What kind of QNX issue forced RIM to physically recall 1000 PlayBooks? Don't they have a software update mechanism? Sounds worse than Android with all its dozens of slightly incompatible fragmented code branches.

So, now that there are 1000 fewer PlayBooks on the market, is Apple getting closer to 100% market share in enterprise (going by ActiveSync usage)? Or is it still somewhere between 99.8% and 99.9%?

Here's the Intermedia ActiveSync usage report:

http://blog.intermedia.net/2011/05/1...-over-android/

Note that Android is a distant 3rd behind iPhone at #1 and "Other" at #2 in enterprise usage. Pretty embarrassing for the fandroids out there I'd bet.

As to the QNX issue:

I think the PretendBook uses OTA setup -- as opposed to the "play time" iPad that requires tethering to an operational PC or Mac to perform setup.

Using this approach,, the PretendBook needs a pristine OS to receive and install OTA updates (I understand that there are quite a few updates).

If QNX is broken, and you can't tether -- it's "No Soup For You, Today" -- but back to the factory...

A few of these round trips -- and there goes the meagre profit...

...I certainly hope that the PretendBook can reboot without...

Edit:

On second thought, the PretendBook just requires a longer USB tether than the iPad
  • Reply 134 of 181
    Quote:

I'm in complete agreement on that. All my friends find me very odd and then see my iPod touch (again!) and say "You said you didn't have a phone!". Always a laugh for about 3 seconds.

My father is in your age category and he has a cheap dumb phone which was for work and now a way for my mother to get ahold of him on the golf course. It's cheaper than having an errand boy courier a message. He would have no use for or ability to use an iPod Touch. I'd say that's typical for his age group.

My mother, same age range, loves her iPad and iPhone. She was atypical when for her age group when she got them and didn't even think they'd offer her viable utility until I presented them to her. Now I'd say she is becoming the norm as most of her friends fall seem to own at least the iPad with many also owning an iPhone.

Me, I'm atypical because I like to buy to most products to play with, retired at 30yo and never wear the same pair of socks twice. We're all fringe people in some way.
  • Reply 135 of 181
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I looked at these two "Slates" at the Microsoft Store. They run a full version of Windows 7 supposedly optimized for tablet. They did seem a little clunky but the fact that it has all the I/O ports, file system and standard applications makes it viable device for those inclined towards Windows. I don't have any real world experience just 5 minutes of hands on at the store. They are quite a bit more expensive than iPad but...

There were also quite a few accessories for them such as docks and keyboards.

http://www.exopc.com/devices/

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Slate_EP121/
  • Reply 136 of 181
    Quote:

I looked at these two "Slates" at the Microsoft Store. They run a full version of Windows 7 supposedly optimized for tablet. They did seem a little clunky but the fact that it has all the I/O ports, file system and standard applications makes it viable device for those inclined towards Windows. I don't have any real world experience just 5 minutes of hands on at the store. They are quite a bit more expensive than iPad but...

There were also quite a few accessories for them such as docks and keyboards.

http://www.exopc.com/devices/

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Slate_EP121/

The problem with Windows slates is that the battery life can be best described as "utter shit." EP121 in particular, you'll be lucky to get two hours actually using the thing. Windows on ARM should help that though.

Edit - Just so I don't seem overly negative, I would LOVE to see a true successor to the HP tc1100.
  • Reply 137 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Urinal Mint View Post

The problem with Windows slates is that the battery life can be best described as "utter shit." EP121 in particular, you'll be lucky to get two hours actually using the thing. Windows on ARM should help that though.

And MS can claim Windows 7 was designed for use as a tablet but that's like putting pontoons on a caravan/RV and saying it was designed for use as a houseboat.
  • Reply 138 of 181
    Quote:

Me, I'm atypical because I like to buy to most products to play with, retired at 30yo and never wear the same pair of socks twice. We're all fringe people in some way.

What do you do with the socks? I suppose they must be laundered and donated to some charitable organization.
  • Reply 139 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

What do you do with the socks? I suppose they must be laundered and donated to some charitable organization.

Trash. If I wanted the hassle of laundering, turning right-side out, and matching socks it would limit the benefit. The other benefits are always having soft socks. New socks feel sooo good. It's only about $30 a month when you buy in bulk. I save at least twice that by no longer getting a soft drink when I eat out.
  • Reply 140 of 181
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

I'm not laughing either, but I think that there are some fundamentals that may bite Android. I don't think that Android is selling like hotcakes. Free phones with two year contracts and buy one, get one free is not selling. It's giving it away. They are being given away like hotcakes for sure.

Again, my posts had nothing to do with market share. I only used market share as an example. My original post was in response to this:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Urinal Mint View Post

All together now, folks:

1. Point

2. Laugh

People laughed at the original Android. It does now sell like hot cakes. 400,000 activations a day - every day. Not all of that is 2 for 1's. It was stupid to laugh at Android handsets in the past and it's stupid to laugh at Android tablets today. Just choose the option like the best and live with it. Not everybody has to agree with you.