No near-field communications chip in Apple's next iPhone - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kohelet View Post

You can manually manage media. just uncheck 'copy to itunes media folder'

That's true, but it's messier when you already have the content in there and you want to split it up.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple will not include an RFID near-field communications chip for e-wallet transactions in its anticipated fifth-generation iPhone, a new report claims.

No loss.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    On what evidence is this claim based?
  • Reply 24 of 45
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Well - we've gone off topic and I'll have to agree to disagree. iTunes has come a long way from where it started. Now it manages video, podcasts, apps, Apple TV and multiple iOS devices.

I maintain that such a product - when there aren't really alternatives - needs to become more powerful and flexible as part of its evolution.

The search in Itunes is abominable.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

No loss.

For me it's a loss of a sale. There is no other reason to buy another iphone until I hear a compelling reason to buy it. The whole speed bump thing works great if you are releasing 18 phones/yr but since they are releasing one per year... It's kinda well...NO! People have to earn my dollars and not expect me to just give it to them simply for releasing a product.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

The search in Itunes is abominable.

I am a heavy iTunes user, and can think of MANY improvements. In fact, I'd pay for an "iTunes Pro" if one existed and it did the things I'm looking for.

At the same time, I remember listening to music BEFORE I could command 80,000+ songs with keywords and playlists. Night and day.

For me, it's a string of highly personal radio stations.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:

If it were drive-aware I could put certain content that I rarely access on an external drive, easily. I don't like having my whole library on an external because there's lag.

I don't understand why you don't realize that iTunes is location aware now. I have my most used movies on a separate partition and those I use rarely on an external drive. My music is also someplace else. Everything shows up in your normal iTunes interface and the library is in its normal place. iTunes has no problem knowing where everything is. Just tell iTunes where you put the media and iTunes keeps that location info in the file's meta data. IMO that is being drive aware without the problems of managing drives. It's really that simple.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post

Until the necessary infrastructure and licensing agreements are in place, what can you do with NFC?

NFC operates in a global ISM band, so licensing isn't an issue.

1. start developing apps for when there is US NFC infrastructure

2. start developing apps for the already present NFC infrastructure in EU, Korea, Japan.

3. use it with already present NFC in EU, Korea, Japan

The USA is about 5-10 years behind the curve on smartcards and NFC. Just because you don't see it here, it does not mean it is not available elsewhere.

That NFC (maybe) is not in the next iPhone is probably a sign that the iPhone 4 form factor will continue. NFC needs to be built into the device, so it would be more cost effective to develop it into an all-new model (presumably iPhone 5). Apple should release the API ahead of time, though.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:

That's true, but it's messier when you already have the content in there and you want to split it up.

How messy can it be? Just move the folder of files to where you want them and play one of them from within iTunes. iTunes will ask you to locate where the media is and fix its location data and also do it for all the other items in that folder. From that point on they play as if they are in the library folder. No need to turn on manual organizing.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

The USA is about 5-10 years behind the curve on smartcards and NFC. Just because you don't see it here, it does not mean it is not available elsewhere.

Correct! I see "contactless" payment terminals in a lot of shops and restaurants now. Most banks are now issuing cards with NFC chips in them, as well as the standard chip and pin authentication method.

I was so shocked to hear that in the USA it is still common to verify your identity when paying with a credit/debit card by signing your name . That went away many years ago in the UK.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:

For me it's a loss of a sale. There is no other reason to buy another iphone until I hear a compelling reason to buy it. The whole speed bump thing works great if you are releasing 18 phones/yr but since they are releasing one per year... It's kinda well...NO! People have to earn my dollars and not expect me to just give it to them simply for releasing a product.

Actually, I was planning to give Apple my money for simply releasing a product.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I don't see the need for NFC for the next iPhone iteration. It's not widely adopted yet. That said, it would be better for Google, Apple and other tech giants to take the lead. Better them than the telcos who are gunning for this right now.

As for the Nexus S....the criticism on here just shows that people don't really understand the point of the whole Nexus line. It's not meant to be a mass market phone. Sure, some people buy it for the pure Google experience. But the reason, the Nexus phones include new technologies and come out with a new version of the OS six months before everybody else adopts it, is so that developers get to play with this stuff and come up with new apps and see how they can take advantage of this tech. NFC on the Nexus S is meant to lay the groundwork for widespread adoption of NFC in a year or two.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Aren't you the same group of people that dont want publishers to have any info on you at all, yet you're willing to put all your precious data into your phone plus let it be transmitted? How many devices have claimed to be unhackable only to get hacked the first day of release. No thank you I'll pay with cash like i always do
  • Reply 34 of 45
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple will not include an RFID near-field communications chip for e-wallet transactions

The rumour pretty clearly speaks about e-wallet applications, it doesn't say anything about NFC generally.

Just because it can't replace my Visa card, doesn't mean RFID won't be used in other ways (like during login, making a connection between iMac and iPhone)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Perhaps the chipset will be there for NFC, just not functional when shipped.

That's also possible.

Or the chip will be just used for Apple NFC applications to start with, then upgraded with e-wallet.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Maybe not next year. But surely a year after that.

Visa is already moving ahead:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...5&pageNumber=1

Google is working with Mastercard:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...412152678.html

It'll only be a matter of time before the cards themselves are all NFC. At the point, not having NFC on the handset, would be a major shortcoming. It's just a question of schedule for the iPhone.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

How messy can it be? Just move the folder of files to where you want them and play one of them from within iTunes. iTunes will ask you to locate where the media is and fix its location data and also do it for all the other items in that folder. From that point on they play as if they are in the library folder. No need to turn on manual organizing.

It's messy by Apple standards as soon as you take it out of iTunes and into Finder. As is the fixing location data.

What I picture: In the Get Info pane there's a dropdown with drives. Any time you select a group of items in iTunes and look at their Get Info and select a different drive iTunes builds a folder structure with Media as the root and places your items on that drive, using the same hierarchy it uses elsewhere. That's still probably too messy, as they haven't done it.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Correct! I see "contactless" payment terminals in a lot of shops and restaurants now. Most banks are now issuing cards with NFC chips in them, as well as the standard chip and pin authentication method.

I was so shocked to hear that in the USA it is still common to verify your identity when paying with a credit/debit card by signing your name . That went away many years ago in the UK.

Yes, this is one reason why credit card fraud is more rampant here than in other developed nations. Banks in the USA are so protected by the federal government that they have little incentive to prevent fraud. If that protection were taken away, we would be the world leader in smartcards, within a month!
  • Reply 38 of 45
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

I have another huge issue with iTunes. I store my iTunes library on a separate FAT partition so that it is readable by both OS X and also Windows under Boot Camp. Each time I switch between the 2 (daily) iTunes has to update the library. In Windows XP this takes no more than a couple of minutes. In OS X however this can take an hour or more!! During which time iTunes is inaccessible! It's crazy... It's not as though the library has changed in any meaningful way throughout the course of an average day - maybe a couple of podcasts/app updates downloaded. Can't figure out why this works so poorly...
  • Reply 39 of 45
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Don't expect me to purchase a new Iphone if it doesn't have an NFC chip in it. I don't see a reason too otherwise. Apple is falling a year behind Google in this area if this report is indeed true.

BS. A year behind nothing of backend services is nothing.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    deewindeewin Posts: 34member
    NFC sounds like an awesome idea but I don't want to live in a world where people rely their phone as their only wallet anytime soon. I mean what if your iPhone dies out (or stolen) and you can't get a replacement right away for whatever reason? I guess even if the the rumors say that the 6th gen will have the technology instead of the 5th it would make a huge difference anyways. Not many places have established NFC yet and it will take many years until it becomes mainstream.