No near-field communications chip in Apple's next iPhone - report

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    NFC is about much more than e-wallets and looking at demos it really is Apple like simplicity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49L7z...tu.be#t=12m47s The demos go to about the 17 minute mark.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

It's messy by Apple standards as soon as you take it out of iTunes and into Finder. As is the fixing location data.

What I picture: In the Get Info pane there's a dropdown with drives. Any time you select a group of items in iTunes and look at their Get Info and select a different drive iTunes builds a folder structure with Media as the root and places your items on that drive, using the same hierarchy it uses elsewhere. That's still probably too messy, as they haven't done it.

The problem you're having is because you didn't set it up the way you wanted it the first time. Even so, iTunes can still do what you want pretty easily.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

I have another huge issue with iTunes. I store my iTunes library on a separate FAT partition so that it is readable by both OS X and also Windows under Boot Camp. Each time I switch between the 2 (daily) iTunes has to update the library. In Windows XP this takes no more than a couple of minutes. In OS X however this can take an hour or more!! During which time iTunes is inaccessible! It's crazy... It's not as though the library has changed in any meaningful way throughout the course of an average day - maybe a couple of podcasts/app updates downloaded. Can't figure out why this works so poorly...

I'm not knowledgeable with how boot camp or windows works with iTunes but maybe you should just put the media folder on the FAT drive and keep the 2 different itunes folders in their normal place. This way there would be no reason for itunes to rebuild its libraries.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member
    I'm not buying this iPhone 4S. I don't play games on the phone, so I don't need a better processor. I'm not interested that much into photos, so I don't need a better camera. But I was excited about this NFC thing. Buying with the phone, that would be cool! Well, may be in 2012...
  • Reply 44 of 45
    risottorisotto Posts: 2member
    The omission of NFC really doesn't come as a surprise to me. Apple very visibly optimizes their bill of material to contain the bare minimum of parts required. They are not going to include an NFC transmitter, which not only adds weight, power use and added costs for manufacturing and licensing, but also new requirements on the case design.

Unless Apple is capable of kick starting a new technology themselves, such as an acceloremeter where they were able to write software that would fully leverage the technology and give a tangible improvement, they choose to not be the early adopter. Looking back at the past Apple repeatedly skipped first gen technologies such as 3g when they shipped the first iphone or improved HSDPA or even LTE, as I don't think they will support that either in the next iphone. They will leave the dabbling with unproven technology to the sorts of Google, HTC, Samsung and Motorola. One can already see how these manufacturers have trouble selling LTE, as the experience today is utterly spotty. As an example, just one can look at how much trouble Verizon currently has with their LTE Thunderbolt.

Anyhow, seems like my personal predictions for the iphone 4s are more and more coming true. For more of what I expect Apple to do with the next iteration of the phone, just visit my blog article.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by risotto View Post

Anyhow, seems like my personal predictions for the iphone 4s are more and more coming true. For more of what I expect Apple to do with the next iteration of the phone, just visit my blog article.

Nice blog. And I agree, probably no NFC just yet, for which I don't care cause it won't be usable over here in The Netherlands anyway. Haven't seen any NFC devices anywhere. Well, public transportation is transitioning over to NFC, but that system can only be used with a chipcard. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OV-chipkaart

Cheers,

Phil