Steve Jobs to Nike CEO: 'Get rid of the crappy stuff'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    It's not a "no brainer". In fact, it's something most companies still do wrong. Sometimes it's a simple comments that opens someone's eyes, something that you never have could thought of yourself.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Duuuuuhhh, a no brainer. How do these people get into such positions?

• Reply 22 of 68
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I. Cue majicj the troll, 3....2.....1......

II. Derail thread.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I. Cue majicj the troll, 3....2.....1......

II. Derail thread.

Been trying to figure out which of our legacy trolls he is. I don't think he's tekstud but he's obviously someone who planned on getting banned: his join date is Aug 2009, but he's only got around 280 posts, and, at the rate he's been posting, it should be much higher if he wasn't stashing that moniker for a rainy day. So, I'm thinking some serial troll, banned not too long ago, about the time that he surfaced with his 2 year old alias. Maybe one of the AKAs of MacTripper, although, not sure about the posting style.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Do you think Steve was also insinuating that the crappy website should go as well?

I can't even get to the main page either because of Click2Flash or Ghostery or both. Nike.com (English or Español) is dead in the water for me.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Duuuuuhhh, a no brainer. How do these people get into such positions?

with a few exceptions ceo's get to such positions either by being born to power and money or by being major suck ups to it and very ruthless.

very rarely does it have anything to do with actual capabilities.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Been trying to figure out which of our legacy trolls he is. I don't think he's tekstud but he's obviously someone who planned on getting banned: his join date is Aug 2009, but he's only got around 280 posts, and, at the rate he's been posting, it should be much higher if he wasn't stashing that moniker for a rainy day. So, I'm thinking some serial troll, banned not too long ago, about the time that he surfaced with his 2 year old alias. Maybe one of the AKAs of MacTripper, although, not sure about the posting style.

You know, I just wonder about these career trolls. What's their motivation? all the ways they try to get in under the radar; even trying in some cases to insert themselves as friendly or knowledgeable (remember tekstud's iPhone purchase and how he "loved" Apple for about 3 months) before gradually sliding into the snarky, bitter role. It blows my mind to think of what these people are like in real life. Are they just as sarcastic and poison-tongued with their friends?

Anyway, this is old news: dates back a while as I dug up the original article over a year ago looking for material on Jony Ive. Still good stuff, though.
  • Reply 27 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

So says the guy with over 800 fart apps for sale for the iPhone.

NONE of which is MADE by Apple.

Big fat FAIL.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    A 7" iPad would be a Newton, not a 10" iPad.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    applecationapplecation Posts: 147member
    The first thought I had with this article was "Samsung". They make some great products. The 55" Samsung flat-screen I have is one of the best TVs I've seen.

My last non-iPhone was a Samsung: Poor, confusing user interface and frustrating limited controls. I was never so glad to be rid of a phone.

These are the kinds of products companies should trash (or never release to begin with). You can't help thinking "Do they even field test these products before dumping them on us?"

My wife's current phone is just as bad. I really hate using it, and she is constantly asking me to help her find basic things like "missed calls". She doesn't want an iPhone, because she wouldn't use the internet enough to justify data fees.

Are you listening, Apple? There are people out there that would buy an iPhone Nano!
  • Reply 30 of 68
    mynameisjoemynameisjoe Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

So says the guy with over 800 fart apps for sale for the iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Blaming Apple for the quality of some of the apps that can run on an iPhone or Mac is like blaming them for crappy music some people buy for their iPod.

So says the guy that allowed Nickelback on the iTunes Music Store.
  • Reply 31 of 68
    see flatsee flat Posts: 145member
    cant believe I got trolled ---- EDIT --> remove
  • Reply 32 of 68
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Meh. I've been wearing New Balance for the past few 10 years, not because of Steve, but because I need the extra wide fit. For "formal" shoes, for the past five years I've used black golf shoes (Adidas for a few years and now Mizuno) with the removable plastic studs.

For running, Runkeeper on iPhone is all I need to track my run, whenever I do run outdoors once in a while.

Ever since the sweatshop accusations I've been turned off Nike... that PR damage will take a while to be repaired in my mind, however true or not.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Old news.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Imagine if Microsoft did that. Put all their resources into building their best products, and axe the rest. They'd be left with... what would they be left with?

OK, maybe they're a bad example. How about HP? Umm...

Perhaps Dell, then... hmmm...

Pure Digital, perhaps? Made the Flip camera? Great product! Oh but Cisco bought them and then... hmmm...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

You know, I just wonder about these career trolls.

Don't.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    Carmin Gallo over at Forbes blogged it as a part of his commentary on the new book he's writing on Jobs and innovation. Just citing some of the examples of what seems to drive Jobs relentless (and ruthless?) pinnacle of excellence pursuit.

Now everyone can relax. Trolls, trim your ear hair. Regular contributors, coffee/tea break. Horace back to work on your laser-targetted analyses. Slash, back in your Lane. Sam, more olives, Josh, get Ong it. Daniel a little more Dilgerence. Neil, Hugh are you, Hugh, Hugh? (sorry that last one was bad).

OK, back in 15.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    massconn72massconn72 Posts: 162member
    It's going to be hard for Nike to get rid of "crappy" stuff when all they make is crappy stuff made with slaves in China.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

You know, I just wonder about these career trolls. What's their motivation? all the ways they try to get in under the radar; even trying in some cases to insert themselves as friendly or knowledgeable (remember tekstud's iPhone purchase and how he "loved" Apple for about 3 months) before gradually sliding into the snarky, bitter role. It blows my mind to think of what these people are like in real life. Are they just as sarcastic and poison-tongued with their friends?

Some just like to fight, but I'm sure some are paid "public relations consultants" who contract out to spread FUD about competitors... On a site like AI they don't get much traction in terms of swaying opinion, but they can help frame the conversation--derailing it into annoying territory. It is part of a long term campaign to try to find exploitable weaknesses and impact customer sentiment...

[Edit: this is just conjecture, but I can't believe it isn't true--it would be to easy and cost effective...
  • Reply 38 of 68
    I love how this thread has turned into a discussion about fart apps.

Hilarious.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    rufworkrufwork Posts: 130member
    Quote:

. Just get rid of the crappy stuff and focus on the good stuff.

I'll tell you want is crap... The Nike+iPod dongle for the nano. It's not made for running. Use one for a while and *pop*, out it comes. And when it pops, Nike+ decides that you've finished your workout. No way to say, "No I didn't; please continue adding data now that I've stuck the dongle back in."

Nike+ on the nano is worthless. On the touch, it's not bad -- the best pedometer on the market. On the iPhone, it's greatly and easily surpassed by Runkeeper (or even Nike+ GPS, which doesn't use the pill in your shoe, afaict).

Funny that the "no crap" duo made crap working with each other.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    part of what Steve said is so your marketing efforts can focus on the great stuff and isn't diluted by the crappy stuff or even the average stuff. The other part of it is it helps bring a ton more engineering efforts into the great stuff, which is part of why Apple's stuff works so well.

Not only do they focus their engineering efforts on just a few core products, they have a ton of engineering overlap across the products. Improvements for one improves most or all of the rest.