HP exec dismisses Apple and Intel's Thunderbolt in favor of USB 3.0

Comments

• Reply 61 of 132
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

the last great (sarcastic) hp decision was to turn back their license to sell apple ipods after they made a deal with hp.

those hpods that were sold must be collectors items now.

Holy crap, I forgot all about those! What was Apple thinking?!
  • Reply 62 of 132
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't see why they'd do that. Do you have a supporting argument as to why you think they'd go that route?

Note that despite their support for FireWire they still use USB for many parts of the Mac. For instance, BlueTooth, IR Reciever, notebook keyboard and trackpad, SD card reader, and iSight camera are all off the USB bus.

As long as Apple continues support for USB, hardware manufacturers will avoid adding a second port to their devices and increase their cost.

I believe Apple adopted a port such as the Thunderbold to reduce the number of ports in their future laptops. i.e. one port format for communication and video. Something neither USB nor Firewire can do. Less silicone, less heat, helps battery life.

I believe the new MacBook Air will ship with only one port, Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 63 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Convert them to what? They are already bluetooth, and it's not as if USB will be going away. AFAIK, Apple didn't pull USB ports off of their computers, they are just adding a complementary port that is much better suited for high transfer rates. USB is still plenty good enough and already widely supported for devices like keyboards, mice, printers, etc.

Apple didn't pull USB from their computers yet. But they're the kind of company that may very well do if they want to push it through the market.
  • Reply 64 of 132
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

As long as Apple continues support for USB, hardware manufacturers will avoid adding a second port to their devices and increase their cost.

I believe Apple adopted a port such as the Thunderbold to reduce the number of ports in their future laptops. i.e. one port format for communication and video. Something neither USB nor Firewire can do. Less silicone, less heat, helps battery life.

I believe the new MacBook Air will ship with only one port, Thunderbolt.

I think you?re wrong. Remember the PCI channel offers DisplayPort which is already in use by many major companies. I?m sure Dell has moved from the DP port to mDP port but that will reduce the size, allow for access to Ivy Bridge?s Thunderbolt, and the mDP port is FREE. Again, Thunderbolt isn?t going to replace USB, just as HDMI didn?t replace USB. These port interfaces can live happily next to each other.
  • Reply 65 of 132
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post

I really hope it's not another FireWire.

Whys that then? All 3 of my PC's and every one of my laptops (5 in total), including a netbook all have firewire ports on them.

I have 2 sony digital video cameras which have firewire on them too.
  • Reply 66 of 132
    Quote:

Apple didn't pull USB from their computers yet. But they're the kind of company that may very well do if they want to push it through the market.

I could see them doing that, but they would need to supply or offer a TB-to-USB hub. USB isn't going away, even though the benefits of Thunderbolt or extraordinary. Currently, there are 2-5 USB ports, 1-2 Firewire ports, a display out (now TB), audio in/out, ethernet... now imagine only putting 1 (or 2 on an iMac or 17" Pro perhaps) Thunderbolt port in place of all of that, with one external adapter for all of those ports. Probably more feasible with a desktop unit that you're not carrying around all the time, but the possibilities are pretty mind-blowing.
  • Reply 67 of 132
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    If Thunderbolt is twice as fast as USB 3.0 why is he in favor of the later.

Why not adopt and support both instead of dismissing one? Isn't that how they miss opportunities?
  • Reply 68 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHrubik View Post

375MBps is nothing to scoff at.

You're right, 375 MBps is extrememly impressive. Now look at Thunderbolt. 10Gbps = 1.25GBps (yes, gigabytes). That could handle 3 USB3.0 devices running at full theoretical speed at the same time and still leave room to run an external display or whatever else you want while all that other stuff is going.
  • Reply 69 of 132
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Whys that then? All 3 of my PC's and every one of my laptops (5 in total), including a netbook all have firewire ports on them.

I have 2 sony digital video cameras which have firewire on them too.

Exactly!
  • Reply 70 of 132
    popnfreshpopnfresh Posts: 139member
    Apple made a huge mistake by not embracing USB 3.0 from day one. No one else supports Thundercrap. Yet another proprietary standard that will bite Apple in the ass one day.
  • Reply 71 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

If Thunderbolt is twice as fast as USB 3.0 why is he in favor of the later.

Why not adopt and support both instead of dismissing one? Isn't that how they miss opportunities?

I think it?s twice as fast in each direction for a total of 4x the possible bandwidth at any one time. I think it also offers lower latency and overhead.

In the coming months we?ll see some real world tests.

Another factor is drivers, and with Apple and Intel in one corner and HP and MS in the other even if they specs were identical in performance I?d be putting my money on the former.
  • Reply 72 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

Apple made a huge mistake by not embracing USB 3.0 from day one. No one else supports Thundercrap. Yet another proprietary standard that will bite Apple in the ass one day.

USB3.0 is an open standard whilst Thunderbolt is proprietary? Good one¡
  • Reply 73 of 132
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:

How I hate inkjet printers, their problems are specialized paper, clogged heads, constant head cleansing, calibration, and the list goes on. I'll take a laser over an inkjet any day.

Indeed. I have a brother laser printer I've been using on the same toner cartridge for 20 years - and I think I print quite a lot. It's the most reliable and easy to use printer I've ever seen and, thanks to my Time Capsule, is now wifi-enabled.
  • Reply 74 of 132
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    What worries me as a consumer is that Apple will quite happily watch everyone buy new equipment to work with Thunderbolt, then drop Thunderbolt for something else, without any regard for taking those customers with them.

They need to start thinking of their customers as an installed base, almost like their own employees, and factor in a migration path with the same attention to detail as they have done for the moves from 32 bit to 64 bit, which I gather was complex for Apple but fairly seamless for most people,
  • Reply 75 of 132
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

How I hate inkjet printers, their problems are specialized paper, clogged heads, constant head cleansing, calibration, and the list goes on. I'll take a laser over an inkjet any day.

Sounds like you had an Epson inkjet.
  • Reply 76 of 132
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

You're right, 375 MBps is extrememly impressive. Now look at Thunderbolt. 10Gbps = 1.25GBps (yes, gigabytes). That could handle 3 USB3.0 devices running at full theoretical speed at the same time and still leave room to run an external display or whatever else you want while all that other stuff is going.

I seem to remember that Thunderbolt can handle 4 threads at a time at that speed (2 up and 2 down).
  • Reply 77 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Same thing happened when Apple introduced Firewire 400, then 800. No PC company wanted to support it. But then people started buying things like iPods and portable hard-drives and those companies didn't have a choice. Apple just needs to push this technology further and show the real value from having such speeds, HP will run back on broken legs.

So I guess that's why iPods, iPhones and iPads all use firewire today. Oh, wait...
  • Reply 78 of 132
    Quote:

I think you?re wrong. Remember the PCI channel offers DisplayPort which is already in use by many major companies. I?m sure Dell has moved from the DP port to mDP port but that will reduce the size, allow for access to Ivy Bridge?s Thunderbolt, and the mDP port is FREE. Again, Thunderbolt isn?t going to replace USB, just as HDMI didn?t replace USB. These port interfaces can live happily next to each other.

One challenge Apple might face in eliminating USB in the short-term is their iProducts, but I'm sure TB will accept USB communication using a simple adapter or an alternative cable.
  • Reply 79 of 132
    Thundercrap will die a slow and painful death when people realize that the choice of peripherals for it is severely limited. USB 3.0 will win, because it's backwards compatible with all of their other USB peripherals. Even their mice. It won't matter that USB 3.0 can "only" run at 5Mbps vs. Thundercrap's 10Mbps. People will want choice and compatibility much more than the extra speed.
  • Reply 80 of 132
    Quote:

USB3.0 is an open standard whilst Thunderbolt is proprietary? Good one¡

Yes, it is, thank you.

USB 3.0 was developed by the The USB 3.0 Promoter Group, an industry consortium, as an open standard. Thundercrap is a proprietary protocol developed by Intel. Intel also deliberately delayed supporting USB 3.0 until this year in an attempt to sabotage it's adoption by PC manufacturers in the hope that they'd go with Thundercrap instead. It didn't quite pan out like they planned. Thundercrap is doomed.