HP exec dismisses Apple and Intel's Thunderbolt in favor of USB 3.0

Comments

• Reply 81 of 132
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    There's an interesting article on Engadget, already showing a Sony laptop with Thunderbolt.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Sounds like you had an Epson inkjet.

I had Epson, HP, and Canon. My favorite inkjet was Canon but paled in comparison to the convenience and reliability of a casual laser.
  • Reply 82 of 132
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

---

You can't tell me USB is done for. It's everywhere. (Much like Flash.) Apple can't really expect everyone to toss out every camera, printer, hard drive, iPod in favor of this lightning bolt stuff.

---

Apple has a tendency to want to live in the future. But me, my computer, and all its peripherals live in the present.
  • Reply 83 of 132
    Good for HP! Leading the way tomorrow with yesterday's technology......LOL I guess that's why the only HP device I've got is a printer. They do make pretty good printers. Although I rarely bother printing anything.
  • Reply 84 of 132
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Apple has a tendency to want to live in the future. But me, my computer, and all its peripherals live in the present.

You're probably mourning the loss of the floppy drive...
  • Reply 85 of 132
    imoanimoan Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

That's really not fair to say. No devices use floppy's anymore. There are tons of USB devices.

What really surprises me is that Apple didn't eliminate USB from their products entirely and declare it a dead technology. Like Flash, dvd, blu ray, express cards, etc
  • Reply 86 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

That's really not fair to say. No devices use floppy's anymore. There are tons of USB devices.

What really surprises me is that Apple didn't eliminate USB from their products entirely and declare it a dead technology. Like Flash, dvd, blu ray, express cards, etc

You need a computer history lesson...
  • Reply 87 of 132
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I'm embracing ThunderBolt with open arms. Speed performance, data, video, audio, and power?? In a single port? No brainer for me.

Backup my entire system in minutes? Check!
  • Reply 88 of 132
    Quote:

Ah, yes... HP... the company that just gave a dismal forecast and is now down 8%.

The company of brilliant decisions...

Meanwhile... AAPL is up .25%

They recently bought Vertica which was a pretty smart decision. Not in the consumer space, but still a nice move for them.
  • Reply 89 of 132
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    USB 3 supports 127 devices. Thunderbolt support only 6 in daisy chain mode, but is also said to support hubs.

Does anybody know what is the numerical limit for devices on Thunderbolt?

And when the optical version is scheduled to debut?
  • Reply 90 of 132
    ahrubikahrubik Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

You're right, 375 MBps is extrememly impressive. Now look at Thunderbolt. 10Gbps = 1.25GBps (yes, gigabytes). That could handle 3 USB3.0 devices running at full theoretical speed at the same time and still leave room to run an external display or whatever else you want while all that other stuff is going.

There has to be a device outside of a Apple Cinema display to use it with though. Even if no USB 3.0 devices existed I'd still have a billion and 1 devices to connect to the ports.

Let me be clear though. As long as an affordable external HDD case can be had for Thunderbolt I will have no problems buying them. I don't care if the tech never matures if I can take advantage of the bus speed for data transfer.
  • Reply 91 of 132
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    I think this portends a trend we may be seeing for quite some time, as competitors to Apple decide not to (or cannot) stay abreast.

(Ex: We've examined the [pick one - "thinness," "retina vision screen," "A7 processor," etc.) of the (pick one - "iPad 3," iMac, Gen X ipod, etc.) and we've decided it's not [pick one - "cost effective," "value propositioned," etc.) for us at this time. Of course, we may still adopt this feature in the future if it starts to make sense for us.

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood ... and Apple took the one less trodden. And that has made all the difference."
  • Reply 92 of 132
    ahrubikahrubik Posts: 80member
    This is the kind of thing that will kill Light Peak.

Sony's Thunderbolt implementation hiding in plain (web)site, uses USB connector not Mini DisplayPort?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/17/s...site-uses-usb/

OEM's haven't even settled on an interface for the tech. How are vendor's suppose to produce products for the interface?
  • Reply 93 of 132
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    If they use a corporate bunk phrase like, "value proposition," they're lying. What they mean is, we'd have to spend some engineering bucks, and we already bet on the wrong horse.
  • Reply 94 of 132
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHrubik View Post

This is the kind of thing that will kill Light Peak.

Sony's Thunderbolt implementation hiding in plain (web)site, uses USB connector not Mini DisplayPort?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/17/s...site-uses-usb/

OEM's haven't even settled on an interface for the tech. How are vendor's suppose to produce products for the interface?

I saw that, too, but I thought companies weren't allowed to use the USB interface for other, competing interfaces and technologies. In other words, it has to be a USB port, not a thunderbolt port. How confusing would it be to have a thumb drive, plug it in to that thunderbolt port, and then wonder why nothing is happening?
  • Reply 95 of 132
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

The thing is, if not many companies are using [Thunderbolt] -- not just PC's but companies that make HD Recorders and external hard drives don't support it, then why should a company like HP support it?

It's a bit premature to say whether or not someone supports a brand new interface that was released only a couple of months ago.

Give them a little time to get products developed and tested, not to mention released.
  • Reply 96 of 132
    -cj--cj- Posts: 58member
    I really do think it's interesting to see whether new tech gets picked up by manufacturers, but the part of this story that stopped me in my tracks is the name HP has gone with: the Pavilion HPE H8 series.

Really? You put the word "hate" into your product name??
  • Reply 97 of 132
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:

The race is on.

PC makers will choose between adding Thunderbolt because it is good technology, or ignoring it to make Macs, yet again, the odd machine out and less compatible with most of the new stuff.

This would be a slightly more credible strategy were it not for the fact that TB allows for support of multiple other types of interfaces through relatively simple adapters.

Not very effect lock out.
  • Reply 98 of 132
    Quote:

The thing is that Apple have accelerated the lifetime of standards to the point where you can buy three apple products in three years and none of them can connect to eachother without adapters and none of them connect to anything in your home either.

I'm all in favor of better technology, as long as I can see that the need to transition a multi-million customer installed base has been factored in.
  • Reply 99 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steveH View Post

This would be a slightly more credible strategy were it not for the fact that TB allows for support of multiple other types of interfaces through relatively simple adapters.

Not very effect lock out.

Indeed, but most of the world are not signed-up members of the internet pants brigade and therefore don't walk around sprouting adapters from their pockets.

The thing about standards is adhoc interoperability that supports what you've just decided to do, as opposed to something that *can* be done with enough technical preparation.
  • Reply 100 of 132
    Quote:

The thing is that Apple have accelerated the lifetime of standards to the point where you can buy three apple products in three years and none of them can connect to eachother without adapters and none of them connect to anything in your home either.

I'm all in favor of better technology, as long as I can see that the need to transition a multi-million customer installed base has been factored in.

Are you daft?! Apple first introduced usb in 1998 on the iMac... okay, that's 13 years... and counting...

You'll have to explain a little further about wtf you are talking about... what products? which products do they not hook up to? what in your home do you want connected?

Installed base??... like when Apple dropped the 3.25, scsi and adb port all in one go and everyone cried that Apple was doomed... sound familiar?!