Sources: Apple gearing up for back-to-school promotion as early as next week

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

In years past, did you need any proof that you're a student to get the deal?

I've been waiting for a Mac Mini refresh and to get in on a student deal would be great, but I'm no student.

They require proof so you are out of luck.

And I highly doubt they will include the iPad.

This meeting is likely their typical quarterly to do. They are probably putting up the curtains to keep customers from banging on the door etc. The overnight is probably some banners for the anniversary and any stores that don't have the new big set up tables getting those put in.

The only thing that might require a fresh NDA is the whole icloud/MobileMe or some new internal procedure. since their is supposedly massive training I am going with icloud which won't actually launch until WWDC. Those why folks have to keep mouths shut

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

If they do this in May, then that suggests a new iPod touch product sooner than September.

Nope. They will start in late May to catch grad gifts for incoming college students (who are the only ones that can get the promo), go all summer and release in Sept as always
  • Reply 22 of 50
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

It's French.

And "you're a college student" is probably what you were trying to say.

You might want to actually attend a few classes instead of just registering for the temporary school ID.

Like anantksundaram said. Too funny!
  • Reply 23 of 50
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:

I've been waiting for a Mac Mini refresh and to get in on a student deal would be great, but I'm no student.

Do it on-line and you don't have to show any proof. And I was told by an Apple employee on the phone I could order that way. Everyone is a "Student of Life", so everyone qualifies for a student discount on-line at Apple. Or you could order it from an Apple reseller and get near, and sometimes below Apple's price, and not have to pay sales tax, which means you got it cheaper than buying from Apple. Just like buying a car. You can pay full retail sticker, or you can shop around and work up the best deal for you.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    jeff k-cjeff k-c Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

... incoming college students (who are the only ones that can get the promo)

For clarity sake, the promo, in the past, has included:

"EDUCATION INDIVIDUAL PURCHASE QUALIFICATIONS: Those eligible to purchase as Education Individuals include faculty, staff, students, and parents as follows: K?12: Any employee of a public or private K?12 institution in the United States is eligible. In addition, school board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members are eligible. PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers are eligible. Higher Education: Faculty and staff of higher education institutions and students attending or accepted into a higher education institution are eligible to purchase. Higher Education Parents: Parents purchasing on behalf of their child, who is a student currently attending or accepted into a public or private higher education institution in the United States, are eligible to purchase.

This includes K-12 homeschoolers as well.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Maybe half off iPad deal for students who buy new comp?
  • Reply 26 of 50
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

It's French.

You might want to actually attend a few classes instead of just registering for the temporary school ID.

Butt their knot wonting to go to scool. They's simply trying to get cheeper iTouches.

Touché?
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Go ahead and use student discount . I used many times. Apple won't catch u even apple does , u only need to pay the difference. Nothing lose!
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Quote:

Go ahead and the student discount . Apple won't cheek u even apple does, u only need to pay back the price difference. U won't lose anything if u try so worth a try !! A free iPod touch is so attractive !!
  • Reply 29 of 50
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleKoolaid View Post

Go to your local Community College, register for summer classes, but don't pick the classes, they will give you a temp. card, and Walla, your are a college student at no cost.

Walla? lol Don't waste the ID, try taking a language class or two.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

Go ahead and the student discount . Apple won't cheek u even apple does, u only need to pay back the price difference. U won't lose anything if u try so worth a try !! A free iPod touch is so attractive !!

Just don't write a cheek for the purchase. Another candidate for a class.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

Go ahead and use student discount . I used many times. Apple won't catch u even apple does , u only need to pay the difference. Nothing lose!

It's "Nothing to lose!" Or "Nothing too loose," just take your pick
  • Reply 32 of 50
    debbe1debbe1 Posts: 1member
    Ok, so guess I am slow on the uptake. Didn't know about the annual back to school special. Purchased 2 MB pro's last week for my off to college daughters. Any chance Apple would honor that purchase and offer me the deal?
  • Reply 33 of 50
    joindupjoindup Posts: 80member
    Maybe if Apple want to chase market share to go with mind share, they will offer free iPhones with a Mac.

But surely it's time for Apple to play hard ball with education and start pushing the iPad aggressively. Compared with the crappy net books foisted onto our kids here in Australia the iPad offers better battery life, better viewing angles, no moving parts, no cables, less weight, cheaper maintenance, and children look after them because they love them.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    danuffdanuff Posts: 33member
    Quote:

I have heard that they ask for a student ID if you buy it in the store....No idea what they do if you buy it online, though.

Dan Uff
  • Reply 35 of 50
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

So some people are claiming that Apple will have a 'back-to-school' promotion before school even lets out?

This is getting to be like stores that put Christmas stuff out a month before Halloween.

this... and thats pretty lame if this is a 10 years AppleStore "event". In fact this should not even be news.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    [greg][greg] Posts: 78member
    Quote:

It's French.

hahahahaha sooo good. i actually laughed out loud... at work. oops \

i'm french, so naturally i was appalled by the original "walla" post. thanks for absolutely nailing this one, and saving me from needing to berate the unfortunate fellow...
  • Reply 37 of 50
    [greg][greg] Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debbe1 View Post

Ok, so guess I am slow on the uptake. Didn't know about the annual back to school special. Purchased 2 MB pro's last week for my off to college daughters. Any chance Apple would honor that purchase and offer me the deal?

Maybe. If it's within the return period, usually they will honor any deals that crop up that would have applied to your purchase. Otherwise you could just return the unit, and buy again to take advantage of the deal. You may actually want to do that if "some time next week" is going to be beyond your return period (15 days, I think).
  • Reply 38 of 50
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Oh wait, it's in Q3 so it helps the Q3 numbers. Then in Q4 they advertise specials for those who are actually returning to school. then there's Xmas in Q1 of next year. Or do I have the quarters all mixed up?

So if what the offer for specials are lackluster, Apple's being stingy. If they offer specials now and later they are grubbing for sales numbers? Is there no one capable of simply acknowledging Apple is successful without having to rationalize their success as some accident or snow job?

How's this for size: Apple makes highly desirable products that are customer focused and provide a good user experience - so much so they are popular despite sales or product refreshes? Frankly for being released as close to June as it was the Verizon iPhone 4 sales were shockingly good.

I just don't get continual cynical or irrational people - especially when it comes to Apple
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Post of the day!

Only if you need to demonstrate your "superiority" over others
  • Reply 40 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Touché?

More like Douché