Apple job posting hints at upcoming Sprint iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
An Apple job listing for a "carrier engineer" located near the Sprint headquarters in Kansas City, Missouri, may point to the company's plans to add support for the carrier in an upcoming iPhone.

Last week, an analyst claimed that Apple will release an iPhone "4S" in September with minor changes and support for T-Mobile and Sprint. That assertion appeared to gain credibility on Monday when it was discovered that Apple had posted a job listing for a carrier engineer to be located in the Kansas City area, roughly 20 miles from Sprint's headquarters in Overland Park, Kansas.

Stop it, AT&T was first to report on the listing, though Apple appears to have changed the job's location back to its Cupertino, Calif., headquarters since the original post was published.

According to the listing, the carrier engineer team is "responsible for day-to-day technical interactions with the one or more carriers to track down issues reported by the carrier." The position also involves assisting the carrier with testing and "working with program management, software development and test teams to get products approved by the carriers."

The job requires a technical understanding and experience with GSM/GPRS, Edge, CDMA and UMTS. Sprint currently operates the country's second largest CDMA network.

After Apple ended its exclusive deal with AT&T and announced plans to release a CDMA-capable iPhone on the Verizon network, analysts speculated that Sprint would soon receive the CDMA iPhone. Apple revealed in January that its deal with Verizon for the CDMA iPhone is "non-exclusive."

Sprint has yet to offer any indication that it plans to begin offering the iPhone. In January, CEO Dan Hesse offered no comment when asked about a possible deal with Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Oh God please let this be true!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    If Sprint's plans are less than ATT's, It will be hasta la bye bye ATT for me! I would love to make the break from ATT once and for all. Just like I did with MS.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

If Sprint's plans are less than ATT's, It will be hasta la bye bye ATT for me! I would love to make the break from ATT once and for all. Just like I did with MS.

I'm betting that if the iPhone does come to Sprint, they'll follow suit with AT&T and Verizon and get rid of their unlimited data plan, which sucks for me since I use a good amount of data on their current plan.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    theoboldtheobold Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

I'm betting that if the iPhone does come to Sprint, they'll follow suit with AT&T and Verizon and get rid of their unlimited data plan, which sucks for me since I use a good amount of data on their current plan.

That data plan hasn't changed yet with Verizon, but it will. The same with Sprint. They will claim that to keep up with the everyone else "we have these new "great" plans to offer. Besides that they heavily rent spectrum from Verizon, & having had used them once, it was sad in comparison.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Before we get excited, did they hire someone at Verizon Corp. Location before the Verizon phone was released?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    By the total interest in this thread, I wouldn't get too excited about Sprint.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

By the total interest in this thread, I wouldn't get too excited about Sprint.

Dan Hesse has brought renewed vigor to Sprint. This bodes well both for iPhone users and Hesse's Midwestern-based company.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

No. I have unlimited Sprint data plan for my EVO 4G phone which is capable to receive much more data then 3G iPhone. Sprint 4G is faster then my home wi-fi: I just got 10.6 mbps speedtest.net result.

Sprint 4G phones however cost $10 more/month vs. 3G phones with data plan.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    webpoet73webpoet73 Posts: 112member
    I am also hoping this is true... my upgrade is in September and would love to get rid of my Evo. I feel like I have to micro-manage the memory usage and phone storage of my phone. Feels like using Windows XP again...

My phone decided I was out of internal storage this past weekend... even though I hadn't installed anything new. It just decided it. I re-booted it 3x and still persisted. Eventually, it figured it out and everything was back to normal. Also, my apps that I had moved to SD card didn't work. Yes, Android is great. NOT.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

hasta la bye bye.

U just kick-started my day!