Intel CEO: Google Android experiencing chaotic growing pains

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    It's like Helen Keller trying to copy a Rembrandt.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 23 of 54
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It's like Helen Keller trying to copy a Rembrandt.

Was that in reply to this?

Quote:

Spooning is nice and preferably with another man!

Now that's "cheeky"
  • Reply 24 of 54
    deleted
  • Reply 25 of 54

How astute of you! So your saying that Apple's business model is all about selling iAds? I would say it's at #3, 4... or #100 "hobby stage" at the moment in comparison to Google.

In fact, hasn't Apple come under serious pressure from publishers demanding customer info, and they won't give in is from what I understand. OK. Maybe I'm wrong.

<sarcasm>Apple is only about ads and marketing.</sarcasm>
  • Reply 26 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Sometimes the obvious questions are right in front of our faces.

I couldn't find a copy of the original "Baird Report" in a somewhat quick search, but did come across one that better described what was in it.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Application...-Baird-586234/
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

That future is now:

"Yet another report has come out today claiming that Android has overtaken iOS globally."

http://www.intomobile.com/2011/04/14...-ios-globally/

Just as iOS developers target v3, Android developers who target 2.1 get nearly all users with one app.

Anyone here actually seen the Baird report AI likes to keep making reference to?

Perceived fragmentation on the Android platform is a bigger issue in Mac end-user forums than it is in Android dev forums:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...5&postcount=67

OMG! Ya don't say?! Apple is just a shakin' in their boots! Who makes more money and profit, for both themselves, and their developers? As they say on the Interwebz: crickets is all can hear.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    I've said it before, I'll say it again: Android "could" eventually have up to 80% of the phone market. But ya know what, I'll bet that Apple at the same time with 15%:

1) still outsells every singe manufacturer,

2) makes more profit from it's devices (1 phone!) than all of them combined;

3) continues to make the most money for it's developers and from the App Store.

So go ahead... let Google dominate the marketshare category. Because the only one making money, is Google (period).
  • Reply 29 of 54
    deleted
  • Reply 30 of 54
    deleted
  • Reply 31 of 54
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member

But, unlike Google, selling ads isn't the primary focus/objective/money spinner.

Your point is rather irrelevant.

Apple's ad revenue isn't exactly that great. Google's is their core!
  • Reply 32 of 54
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    One by one Apple/Stevo is winning the arguments! The next one to win is the privacy issue. No thanks Google and Facebook, I will stay with Apple on that one, too!
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Quote:

Today's Mac users talking of Android sound like yesterday's Windows users talking about Mac.

Let's see if that blithe, unsupported statement stands up to any kind of scrutiny.

Yesterday's Windows user:

1) Was, by and large, obliged to use the platform because their business demanded it. Their business demanded it because it was what the IT Department knew or was willing to deal with. Their business also demanded it because of a legacy investment in software, both in dollars and in time leaning it.

SImilarity with iOS vs. Android: NONE.

2) Yesterday's Windows user chose the platform because it was 'a standard'.

3) For yesterday's Windows user, the Internet was not a major factor.

4) Yesterday's Windows user either did not buy applications (they were supplied by their employer), or bought applications compatible with whatever they used at work. (With the exception of games.)

SImilarity with iOS vs. Android: NONE (aside from the purchase of games).

5) Yesterday's Windows user conceded the Mac as a platform 'for graphics people, and Mac users saw that PCs were 'for business'.

6) Most PCs were purchased for business use.

You can make these comparisons all day - if you're honest. Or you can ignore the facts and make ridiculous, unsupported statements that sound like they might be factual. That is, until you actually look at them.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I don't believe this story. They make a declaration with absolutely no supporting facts or details.

Quote:

Angry Birds Makes More Money from the Free Android Version than from Paid Ones

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Angry...s-170596.shtml

• Reply 35 of 54
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

FWIW, that issue was pretty much taken care of yesterday ... To the majority of owners a little control wouldn't even be noticed, much less bothersome.

I see Gatorguy has deigned to grace us with a bit of what he has himself called "stategic communication". For the rest of us, that's known as Google sponsored shilling.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Android "could" eventually have up to 80% of the phone market. But ya know what, I'll bet that Apple at the same time with 15%:

1) still outsells every singe manufacturer,

2) makes more profit from it's devices (1 phone!) than all of them combined;

3) continues to make the most money for it's developers and from the App Store.

So go ahead... let Google dominate the marketshare category. Because the only one making money, is Google (period).

This is what matters.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I see Gatorguy has deigned to grace us with a bit of what he has himself called "stategic communication". For the rest of us, that's known as Google sponsored shilling.

Hey, if that's his ricebowl (an Asian term for "his way of earning his daily bread"), who am I to hate. It's nice having our very own one-man Google PR team specially for us here on AppleInsider.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Good morning to you too Anonymouse

No one could claim you're not persistent and predictable.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Okay time to be serious now. I've watched the Google I/O 2011 Keynote. Basically Google is throwing everything they have at becoming the next OS that really matters. Take Windows on with Chrome. And for the new battleground, mobile, tablets, your house, the car, everything else... take it on with Android.

The weak link is this: They are operating at a very fast pace only on the software side. The limitations are thereby twofold: the rate of change, and being only on the software side.

Rate of change

The level of OS updates and major releases is probably too fast for carriers and hardware manufacturers to keep up with - unlike Apple, where one source does everything, the end user must go through curation (har har) by their carrier AND their manufacturer AND Google. Sure, I forsee things being better, but to stay on the cutting edge of Android releases will take some effort on the part of the end user.

Software-only approach

Despite the Nexus One, or whatever came or will come next, Google still has to depend on other hardware implementors. Especially now that Android will do everything from run on a phone, to a tablet, to powering an amusement park. All that depends on a lot of different manufacturers doing a lot of work to get the hardware working well with the software. I think Google is trying to improve this, but it remains a weak link.

Still, there is no doubt in my mind now that Google is all out for dominating any "connected" part of our lives. The premise of a virtually unlimited and ever-exciting playground for developers and consumers, covering everything from phones to cars is the bait for delivering ads to you wherever you are.

In fact, Google is on the cusp of achieving advertising's biggest dream - knowing what you like, what you do, where you are, and putting a product you probably are interested in, in front of you every step you take. This is chilling to the bone. This is also, the future, for better or worse. The best thing is that you need not even buy this product. Google will make money nonetheless, whether it's clickthroughs, pageviews, paid search placement, whatever.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Quote:

That Apple charges the highest margins in the industry is both well known and not exactly a benefit to consumers.

As for developers, you raise a good question:

Android now more profitable than iOS for well-known game developer

http://blogs.computerworld.com/17941...ios_app_profit

Angry Birds Makes More Money from the Free Android Version than from Paid Ones

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Angry...s-170596.shtml

Developer says Pocket Legends makes more money on Android than iOS

http://www.androidcentral.com/develo...ey-android-ios

Android vs. iOS: A Developer's Perspective

http://www.junauza.com/2011/03/andro...rspective.html

IDC: Developer interest in Android nearly equals iOS

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/ar...iOS/1295993954

Today's Mac users talking of Android sound like yesterday's Windows users talking about Mac.

iOS is a good platform, Android is a good platform, and neither is going away. The perception of a platform war is the stuff of corporate marketing and end-user fan sites; smart developers deploy to both.

It is the margins that allow Apple to innovate where others follow- which is a DIRECT benefit to consumers. And consumers are demonstrating their appreciation of that benefit by driving continuous marketshare gains, in spite of the competition. With the amount of revenue generated by the profitability is exactly HOW Apple does it. You don't see Dell, or HP or even Lenovo or Sony innovating at the same level as Apple. Which is why Apple has proven to be a moving target. Credit the Android team with the engineering chutzpah to be able to build out a parallel OS that can deliver attractive features that allow a price point from the handset makers that let them sell an attractive product at a decent price. But the Android team only is able to do it because Google is funding it as their ad revenue trojan horse in the mobile space.

You can be sure that Google is pumping a lot of money into Android to ensure that the platform gains the ubiquity they need to drive the profitability they want from the mobile space. Google is not intrinsically interested in Android as a platform, they are interested in Android as a mobile ad delivery vehicle. To that end they will do whatever they need to do to ensure that it delivers - until they find something that delivers better. If Andy was smart he would be cultivating background safety-nets to land Android in when Google switches gears and dumps it for something even more pervasive. Because Android is a COST center for Google, not a revenue center. There are no direct revenues generated by Android and this above all should be ever present in Rubin's mind.